• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question: Could a U.S. State outlaw kissing.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I happen to hold the founding documents to be equally valid. Not just the Constitution by which all the documents are binded together under the Constitution.
But you said "unconstitutional."

Do you understand how "unconstitutional" and "against a document I consider as important as the Constitution" are different things?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
But you said "unconstitutional."

Do you understand how "unconstitutional" and "against a document I consider as important as the Constitution" are different things?

Seem a tit for tat matter givin the constitution as a framework and template for those documents.

But I get the point your trying to make.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
No, the *rules* did not effectively outlaw kissing. The *recommendation* was to not given the possibility of transmitting the virus. Sort of like how there is a *recommendation* to use protection when having sex to prevent STD transmission.

The *laws* were about masking in public places. The *recommendations* were other things to reduce the risk of getting the disease.
So you can kiss with a mask on?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Why would kissing be a sin?
Generally, there is no "why" with sin.
It's a belief.
Religions have banned dancing, PDA, blasphemy, & all
sorts of things transformed into (victimless) "crimes".
With the Pope steering SCOTUS, I just wonder what
fresh horror awaits.
In some cultures kissing is a way of greeting people.
It's common here, especially NYC.
Ugh.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
So you can kiss with a mask on?

Not as effectively, to be sure. But, if you are kissing, you have already decided you want to risk sharing the virus. But, since you don't get to put bystanders at risk, you still need to wear the mask in public.

Last edited:

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
Not as effectively, to be sure. But, if you are kissing, you have already decided you want to risk sharing the virus. But, since you don't get to put bystanders at risk, you still need to wear the mask in public.
So you could not kiss in public, legally. I thought we were defining kissing as lips touching. That can't happen with a mask.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
So you could not kiss in public, legally. I thought we were defining kissing as lips touching. That can't happen with a mask.

You needed to wear a mask in place with other people around that you could infect. That take precedence over the ability to kiss in public.

So, yes, you cannot kiss through the mask that you need to wear to protect others. How hard is that?

Also, the only punishment would be that you would be thrown out of whatever public venue you were in. That is not the same as it being criminal.

Now, when the mask restrictions were lifted, you were able to kiss in public because masks were no longer required.

So the question is whether your right to kiss someone in public outweighs the rights of others not to be infected by you. And the answer is that it doesn't. it is a public health issue, not a morality issue.

Sheesh.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You needed to wear a mask in place with other people around that you could infect. That take precedence over the ability to kiss in public.

So, yes, you cannot kiss through the mask that you need to wear to protect others. How hard is that?

Also, the only punishment would be that you would be thrown out of whatever public venue you were in. That is not the same as it being criminal.

Now, when the mask restrictions were lifted, you were able to kiss in public because masks were no longer required.

So the question is whether your right to kiss someone in public outweighs the rights of others not to be infected by you. And the answer is that it doesn't. it is a public health issue, not a morality issue.

Sheesh.
I say it's possible to kiss while wearing a mask.
(Preferable, IMO.)
As evidence, I offer episode #45 of Get Smart, wherein
Agent 86 wore plastic lips to avoid being poisoned when
he kissed his would be assassin.

Isn't it amazing what one can remember?

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
In summary, yes, a state *could* make it illegal to kiss, especially in public, and especially under the recent SC ruling.

I would point out that spitting in public has been illegal in the past, that woman showing an ankle has been illegal, and that many things that are allowed in private are illegal in public.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member

Sheesh.
Nobody was talking about it being a morality issue.
The point was that the government has already done what some of you are saying they might do because of a ruling that has nothing to do with the subject.

pearl

Could such a law be passed?

I suppose a law could be passed prohibiting kissing in public. Of course a better way would be to introduce a good curriculum on sex education and what heavy kissing may lead to. Of course thats out of the question.
Its also 'possible' to pass laws once again barring interracial marriages. Oh my, what would Clarence Thomas do?

Last edited:

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Nobody was talking about it being a morality issue.
The point was that the government has already done what some of you are saying they might do because of a ruling that has nothing to do with the subject.

:facepalm:

No, they did not specifically make kissing illegal. They made wearing masks in certain public places required for safety reasons.

That was NOT a law against kissing, per se.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
:facepalm:

No, they did not specifically make kissing illegal. They made wearing masks in certain public places required for safety reasons.

That was NOT a law against kissing, per se.
The whole idea of a law specifically against kissing is only something that was created as a fantasy on a forum.
But it's the left that has been in favor of making ridiculous rules about what we can do in public, not the right.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
The whole idea of a law specifically against kissing is only something that was created as a fantasy on a forum.
But it's the left that has been in favor of making ridiculous rules about what we can do in public, not the right.

And how is requiring that you wear a mask *for the safety of others* a ridiculous thing?

It had been done in previous pandemics. It has reasonable from a public health perspective. And, given the number of deaths that occurred, if anything, we weren't aggressive enough.

And the right goes not just to rules about public behavior, but also about private behavior: Justice Thomas already has gay marriage and contraception targeted. Funny that he didn't target interracial marriage, which was justified on the same grounds.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
And how is requiring that you wear a mask *for the safety of others* a ridiculous thing?

It had been done in previous pandemics. It has reasonable from a public health perspective. And, given the number of deaths that occurred, if anything, we weren't aggressive enough.

And the right goes not just to rules about public behavior, but also about private behavior: Justice Thomas already has gay marriage and contraception targeted. Funny that he didn't target interracial marriage, which was justified on the same grounds.
Gay marriage depends on what the definition of marriage is. It's a legal issue because marriage is a legal contract.
The many businesses who went out of business forever because of ridiculous restrictions were victims of an over reaching government. I'm not allowed to talk about masks in specific detail, so won't go there.