• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question about puncutation

jojom

Also...

"The scrutiny isn't limited to the U.S? Australia's senate in April held a hearing . . . ."

"The scrutiny isn't limited to the U.S! Australia's senate in April held a hearing . . . ."

Would be correct.
Doesn't appear so.

"Finally, an abbreviation ending with a period that is immediately followed by a question mark or exclamation point requires both marks (Q.E.D.!)."
Punctuation : How would I punctuate the end of a sentence that ends with an abbreviation? For example, “I ...

"When words or phrases with their own punctuation move into a sentence, the word punctuation always stays next to the word, which sometimes results in two marks in a row: one for the word, and one for the sentence (whether at the pause or at the end).

The car is the Joneses’, but the keys are mine.

His favorite movie is Help!, but does he ever help?

Abbreviations—such as etc.—keep their periods, even before a dash.

Do you know the meaning of op. cit.?
Double Punctuation :: A Start - The Subversive Copy Editor Blog

dust1n

Zindīq
Doesn't appear so.

"Finally, an abbreviation ending with a period that is immediately followed by a question mark or exclamation point requires both marks (Q.E.D.!)."
Punctuation : How would I punctuate the end of a sentence that ends with an abbreviation? For example, “I ...

"When words or phrases with their own punctuation move into a sentence, the word punctuation always stays next to the word, which sometimes results in two marks in a row: one for the word, and one for the sentence (whether at the pause or at the end).

The car is the Joneses’, but the keys are mine..Thanks .

His favorite movie is Help!, but does he ever help?

Abbreviations—such as etc.—keep their periods, even before a dash.

Do you know the meaning of op. cit.?
Double Punctuation :: A Start - The Subversive Copy Editor Blog
Ah, I believe that's just a journalism thing. Thanks.

tonyfran

Whichever way they punctuated, it would make sense to make a rule, so that there is some consistency at least within one country, like left hand drive & right hand drive for automobiles.

jojom

Whichever way they punctuated, it would make sense to make a rule, so that there is some consistency at least within one country, like left hand drive & right hand drive for automobiles.
Who do you expect to make the rule, and how do propose it be enforced? Personally, if there's any punctuation rule-making to be done it would be to outlaw the predominantly British convention of omitting the last comma when listing more than two items.

British form: "He brought apples, oranges and grapes."

American form: "He brought apples, oranges, and grapes."

tonyfran

Americans have left hand drive
British have right hand drive
Both are OK, as long as nobody drives left hand in Britain or right hand in America.
We have red grapes & green grapes, & seedless grapes & grapes with seeds. It will be dull world if grapes are all same, or if light came only in one color.

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
In Sunday's newspaper I came across the following:

"The scrutiny isn't limited to the U.S. Australia's senate in April held a hearing . . . ."​

According to MLA and a few other of the most widely used standards for grammar and punctuation (among other things) in publications, the combined use of the period as both indicating a full sentence stop and abbreviation is correct.​