• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question about puncutation

jojom

In Sunday's newspaper I came across the following:

"The scrutiny isn't limited to the U.S. Australia's senate in April held a hearing . . . ."
In as much as every sentence should end in a period, question mark, or exclamation point, shouldn't there have been one here?

"The scrutiny isn't limited to the U.S.. Australia's senate in April held a hearing . . . ."
Can the period indicating that the "S" stands for a word also function as the end stop period? I know it looks better with a single period, but shouldn't function override appearance? What if the period occurs within a quotation?

He said, "The scrutiny isn't limited to the U.S." Blah blah blah.

Period after the ". . . U.S.". Blah blah blah, or not ". . . U.S." Blah blah blah?

Last edited:

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
"The scrutiny isn't limited to the U.S.. Australia's senate in April held a hearing . . . ."
^ It doesn't look right to me, but I tend to be grammatically challenged. Were I the Editor, I would have looked at ...

The scrutiny isn't limited to the U.S. Australia's senate in April held a hearing . . . .

and changed it to ...

The scrutiny isn't limited to the United States. Australia's senate in April held a hearing . . . .
Nevertheless, it's an interesting question.

Tumah

Veteran Member
What's the problem?
The scrutiny isn't limited to the United States of Australia...

They just wrote it in shorthand.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

"The scrutiny isn't limited to the U.S. Australia's senate in April held a hearing . . . ."
In as much as every sentence should end in either period, question mark or exclamation point shouldn't there have been one here?

Can the period indicating the "S" stands for a word also function as the end stop period? I know it looks better with a single period, but shouldn't function override appearance? What if the period occurs within a quotation?

He said, "The scrutiny isn't limited to the U.S."​

Period after the ". . . U.S.". Blah blah blah, or not? ". . . U.S." Blah blah blah.
The style guides I'm familiar with say that periods are either not required or incorrect in abbreviations made up of upper-case letters.

I would change it to:

"The scrutiny isn't limited to the US. Australia's senate in April held a hearing . . . ."

BTW: when an abbreviation does contain periods (e.g. if it's lower case), you would use only one. For instance:

"He went to bed in New York at 11:00 p.m. Australia was just waking up."

jojom

What's the problem?
The scrutiny isn't limited to the United States of Australia...

They just wrote it in shorthand.
Think the following is acceptable wording: "The scrutiny isn't limited to the United States America" (the "of" was not part of the wording)?

9-10ths penguin said:
The style guides I'm familiar with say that periods are either not required or incorrect in abbreviations made up of upper-case letters.

I would change it to:

"The scrutiny isn't limited to the US. Australia's senate in April held a hearing . . . ."

BTW: when an abbreviation does contain periods (e.g. if it's lower case), you would use only one. For instance:

"He went to bed in New York at 11:00 p.m. Australia was just waking up."
I think your change is better than the original.

Tumah

Veteran Member
Think the following is acceptable wording: "The scrutiny isn't limited to the United States America" (the "of" was not part of the wording)?
It's just USA, where they spelled out the A.

I wasn't being serious though.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

In as much as every sentence should end in a period, question mark, or exclamation point, shouldn't there have been one here?

Can the period indicating that the "S" stands for a word also function as the end stop period? I know it looks better with a single period, but shouldn't function override appearance? What if the period occurs within a quotation?

The period can double as both, to indicate an abbreviation and the end of a sentence.

http://andromeda.rutgers.edu/~jlynch/Writing/p.html#periods

This one is simple enough: never double up periods. If a statement ends with “etc.” the period in the abbreviation does double duty, serving as the full stop to end the sentence. If, however, you need another mark of punctuation after an abbreviation, you can put it after the period. So:

• This was her first trip to the U.S. (The period does double-duty, ending both the abbreviation and the sentence.)
  • Is this your first trip to the U.S.? (The period ends the abbreviation, but the question mark ends the sentence.)
  • On her first trip to the U.S., Kristina lost her passport. (The period ends the abbreviation, but the sentence keeps going after the comma.)
The only thing to remember: don't double the periods. Everything else is logical enough.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
"The scrutiny isn't limited to the U.S. Australia's senate in April held a hearing . . . ."​

Another point of style which a lot of people use is to put two spaces after every sentence.

Compare the above quoted sentence with:

"The scrutiny isn't limited to the U.S. Australia's senate in April held a hearing..."

The extra space makes all the difference.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member

He said, "The scrutiny isn't limited to the U.S." Blah blah blah.

Period after the ". . . U.S.". Blah blah blah, or not ". . . U.S." Blah blah blah?

To be honest, I probably would have used a comma, or a semi-colon, there. I think that if one is using the period, though, it seems like there should be another period, after the abbreviation. /just guessing, here.

jojom

Another point of style which a lot of people use is to put two spaces after every sentence.

"The scrutiny isn't limited to the U.S. Australia's senate in April held a hearing..."

Trouble is, as with the spacing mechanics here on Religious Forums, a double space often times won't reproduce.
Here are two sentences. One written with a single space.

He was right. I was wrong.
and the other written with a double space.

He was right. I was wrong.​

No difference.

jojom

To be honest, I probably would have used a comma, or a semi-colon, there. I think that if one is using the period, though, it seems like there should be another period, after the abbreviation. /just guessing, here.
Although I didn't complete the next sentence, so it may not be apparent, it does require that the preceding sentence end with hard punctuation, in this case a period.

jonathan180iq

My mom has taught English for the last 40 something years. She says we Americans put periods after abbreviations...
She also said they shouldn't have ended the sentence with an abbreviated noun, but I guess that's a different topic of conversation. ;)

EDIT: I wrote her experience as 30 years. I was wrong. (My mother was obviously not a math teacher.)

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Trouble is, as with the spacing mechanics here on Religious Forums, a double space often times won't reproduce.
Here are two sentences. One written with a single space.

He was right. I was wrong.
and the other written with a double space.

He was right. I was wrong.​

No difference.

Yes, I noticed that after submitting my post. I wonder why it does that.

I'll try three spaces. I wonder if it works with four spaces. I'll see how it turns out.

Edit: It apparently reduces down to one space between sentences even with two, three, or four spaces in between them. That is just totally weird.

jojom

Yes, I noticed that after submitting my post. I wonder why it does that.

I'll try three spaces. I wonder if it works with four spaces. I'll see how it turns out.

Edit: It apparently reduces down to one space between sentences even with two, three, or four spaces in between them. That is just totally weird.
From what I've read it's not an uncommon choice. Seems that there's no agreed upon way of doing it: single or double space. So it's left to the discretion of the publisher.

From Wikipedia.
"Today the desired or correct sentence spacing is often debated. Many sources now say additional space is not necessary or desirable. From around 1950, single sentence spacing became standard in books, magazines and newspapers. However, some sources still state that additional spacing is correct or acceptable. The debate continues, notably on the World Wide Web—as many people use search engines to try to find what is correct. Many people prefer double sentence spacing for informal use because that was how they were taught to type. There is a debate on which convention is more readable, but the few recent direct studies conducted since 2002 have produced inconclusive results."

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

I agree.
The extra space makes it look better (easier to read).
To double up on the periods would look funny.

But the real error is that it should have read....
"The scrutiny isn't limited to the U.S. Australia's senate was eaten by a dingo."

Last edited:

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
From what I've read it's not an uncommon choice. Seems that there's no agreed upon way of doing it: single or double space. So it's left to the discretion of the publisher.

From Wikipedia.
"Today the desired or correct sentence spacing is often debated. Many sources now say additional space is not necessary or desirable. From around 1950, single sentence spacing became standard in books, magazines and newspapers. However, some sources still state that additional spacing is correct or acceptable. The debate continues, notably on the World Wide Web—as many people use search engines to try to find what is correct. Many people prefer double sentence spacing for informal use because that was how they were taught to type. There is a debate on which convention is more readable, but the few recent direct studies conducted since 2002 have produced inconclusive results."

I think it's a matter of preference, but what I was referring to was whatever glitch there is in this software which causes a post to automatically reduce to one space between sentences, regardless of how many spaces I enter when composing.

My teachers used to prefer two spaces between sentences, as well as double spacing between lines when typing.

jojom

I think it's a matter of preference, but what I was referring to was whatever glitch there is in this software which causes a post to automatically reduce to one space between sentences, regardless of how many spaces I enter when composing.
And I'm saying it isn't a glitch, but the preference of the poobahs in charge.

dust1n

Zindīq
"The scrutiny isn't limited to the U.S. Australia's senate in April held a hearing."

Would be correct by basically any journalist style guide, and probably for any grammatical guide. I use my own grammar rules often when I write for pleasure.

Also...

"The scrutiny isn't limited to the U.S? Australia's senate in April held a hearing . . . ."

"The scrutiny isn't limited to the U.S! Australia's senate in April held a hearing . . . ."

Would be correct.