• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Purpose of life?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
This is an extremely naive mode of thinking. Why do you feel that someone acknowledging that there is no objective/verifiable "purpose" to life lead to that person "wasting life, doing nothing?" Why would someone do nothing in their life (I honestly don't even think this is possible) just because they didn't feel it had some ultimate purpose? As others have said... you make your own purpose. Done deal.

All that matter to me in life is meditation and study dhamma(the teaching) And to be as good as i can to my fianceè. other things that people call normal thing does not interest me

A Vestigial Mote

All that matter to me in life is meditation and study dhamma(the teaching) And to be as good as i can to my fianceè. other things that people call normal thing does not interest me
And you are perfectly within your rights to make those things your "purpose." Just as I am free not to meditate, not to study "dhamma", and instead make my purpose about raising my children and taking care of my wife, the quest for knowledge, seeking to be the best person I feel I can be and the dispensation of all things superficially considered "spiritual" from my life. We are all free to make such choices - and this necessarily points to there not being any specific "meaning" or "purpose" to life.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
And you are perfectly within your rights to make those things your "purpose." Just as I am free not to meditate, not to study "dhamma", and instead make my purpose about raising my children and taking care of my wife, the quest for knowledge, seeking to be the best person I feel I can be and the dispensation of all things superficially considered "spiritual" from my life. We are all free to make such choices - and this necessarily points to there not being any specific "meaning" or "purpose" to life.
I think you are conflating two things here:

The meaning of life (applicable to everyone).

and

The meaning of an individual's life.

Cooky

Veteran Member
In your view/opinion, What is life all about spiritually?

In heaven, there is no evil, so when the Angel's fell, due to their curiosity of evil, God decided that he would make an evil 101 crash course for the humans he was going to create to fill the lost Angel's positions. That crash course is planet earth.

...This way, we can be fully knowledgeable of evil, and never have to be curious.

joe1776

One makes one's own purposes, even if only by choosing prefabricated ones from religion. Personally, I prefer not to outsource my thinking to ancient mythologies.

As far as I can tell, the universe/reality is indifferent to humans and provides no purpose.
It's only the word "purpose" that bothers you. I wrote that moral progress was the purpose of life only to answer the question in the OP. But if you had started a thread asking Has evolution given our species a moral direction? I would have given the same answer.

Audie

Veteran Member

What things that others call "normal" is it that
you shun?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
What things that others call "normal" is it that
you shun?

Daily life things, earning money, working, party, things like this. I dont have any attachments to it, working is something needed because we need money to live, but i dont think about what i earn, it is just something needed to have food.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
There is no purpose to life other than to reproduce. Anything else is personal choice (as, to some extent is passing on your genes). Some may want to help others (in myriad different ways) some may crave authority, some may wish to devote their life to their religious belief. It doesnt matter what it is, he ultimate goal is to continue the species.

Audie

Veteran Member
Daily life things, earning money, working, party, things like this. I dont have any attachments to it, working is something needed because we need money to live, but i dont think about what i earn, it is just something needed to have food.

How will that work out when you cant work?