• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Purpose of life?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
If there is no purpose to why we are here on earth, why waste life with doing nothing?
As a follower of buddha sakyamuni`s teaching life is meant to be a way back to enlightenment and end of suffering on earth. But i wanted to understand what other people thinking

Looncall

If there is no purpose to why we are here on earth, why waste life with doing nothing?
As a follower of buddha sakyamuni`s teaching life is meant to be a way back to enlightenment and end of suffering on earth. But i wanted to understand what other people thinking

One makes one's own purposes, even if only by choosing prefabricated ones from religion. Personally, I prefer not to outsource my thinking to ancient mythologies.

As far as I can tell, the universe/reality is indifferent to humans and provides no purpose.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I don`t see it as outsource of my thoughts to something prefabricated :) Personally i see it as guidlines how to live a morally good like and how to treat other people in a good morally way even sometimes people do not treat me well in life.

The guidelines in any religion is not put forth for fun, it has a deeper meaning to it and only by following them the wisdom from within will open up to us. that is why non religious people can not understand the deepness of the spiritual teachings from ages ago. But i do not judge those who do not believe or follow a spiritual path.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
In your view/opinion, What is life all about spiritually?

The purpose of life as a whole is: We are born. We live. We suffer. We die. Thats it. That's what I believe. The Buddha didn't describe the nature of rebirth. He said it wasn't important.

The purpose of living is To Experience. I have no goal nor dream or vision to achieve. I fail every time I create one. I found it it's just not how I roll. I do things for the experience while doing it rather than the results of what I've done.

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Once you have many rebirths, there is no more suffering. No rebirth. Since there is no attachments, I feel we just die.

Enlightenment is a release of attachment rather than a destination of being. The Buddha mentioned our actions not our beliefs are foremost in purpose. Focus on what you do according to your morals. Time isn't wasted on earth. In my opinion for me it's finding the inner incentive to act.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
One makes one's own purposes, even if only by choosing prefabricated ones from religion. Personally, I prefer not to outsource my thinking to ancient mythologies.

As far as I can tell, the universe/reality is indifferent to humans and provides no purpose.

And there is no rhyme nor reason to life; there is only the now on this plain of awareness with choices offered. I don't look at the u/r as 'indifferent' (to anthropomorphic), more like 'neutral' i.e., one experience carries no more weight or significance than another. It's up to humans individual and collectively to apply meaning to each experience.

I don`t see it as outsource of my thoughts to something prefabricated :) Personally i see it as guidlines how to live a morally good like and how to treat other people in a good morally way even sometimes people do not treat me well in life.

The guidelines in any religion is not put forth for fun, it has a deeper meaning to it and only by following them the wisdom from within will open up to us. that is why non religious people can not understand the deepness of the spiritual teachings from ages ago. But i do not judge those who do not believe or follow a spiritual path.

I beg to differ. Many times religion and religious interpretations tend to stifle spiritual growth due to egos and the perceived need to control or "direct" the belief of others.

9-18-1

By virtue of the fact there is no intrinsic/inherent meaning to life, this offers limitless/unlimited possibilities for a person(s) to define their own meaning(s) and derive related experience(s) that fulfill the unique endeavor(s) of that being: resulting in unified diversity wherein each experience is wholly unique yet also a part of the whole.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
In your view/opinion, What is life all about spiritually?
exactly that......you answered your own question

the body produces a unique spirit on each occurence

you are here to learn all that you can before you die

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
exactly that......you answered your own question

the body produces a unique spirit on each occurence

you are here to learn all that you can before you die

My question was to the other members of this forum :) Personally i already have the answer for the purpose of my human life :) But thank you for your good answer too

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Life simply is what it is. Humans are the ones that tell stories about it and say it has "meaning." I don't know what this "spiritually" stuff is as I find tacking that term on the end a mix of redundant and non-informative.

A Vestigial Mote

This is an extremely naive mode of thinking. Why do you feel that someone acknowledging that there is no objective/verifiable "purpose" to life lead to that person "wasting life, doing nothing?" Why would someone do nothing in their life (I honestly don't even think this is possible) just because they didn't feel it had some ultimate purpose? As others have said... you make your own purpose. Done deal.