• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Purpose of Communion

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Welcome to RF Emma. I hope you and your group are finding being on this site helpful.

Communion is one of the sacraments of the Christian Church. It isn't part of any of the other religions. Its Christian origins most likely relate to Christ's last supper where Jesus broke bread with His disciples and drunk wine. The bread symbolised the body of Christ whereas the wine His blood. The Body of Christ is an important phrase that is used many times in the Old Testament to represent the Church or body of faithful believers. In that sense it appears to enable Christians to draw closer to God through Christ and affirm one's place within the Christian community.

Baha'is like Muslims revere Jesus, the Gospels and worship the God of Abraham. I grew up Christian but converted to the Baha'i Faith nearly 30 years ago in my twenties.

What does communion mean to you?

Ponder This

What do various religions believe the purpose of communion is?
Communion means literally: the sharing or exchanging of intimate thoughts and feelings, especially when the exchange is on a mental or spiritual level

Christians believe that they are sharing or exchanging intimate thoughts and feelings with Christ on a mental and spiritual level when they engage in the communion.

Why do this? Because you desire to share in the mental and spiritual qualities of Christ. This is the purpose.

There can be other purposes... the intentions of people are many and varied. For some it is a social cue that conveys their social membership. For some it is an affirmation of personal belief to a particular belief system. etc.

Emma Pope

Communion means literally: the sharing or exchanging of intimate thoughts and feelings, especially when the exchange is on a mental or spiritual level

Christians believe that they are sharing or exchanging intimate thoughts and feelings with Christ on a mental and spiritual level when they engage in the communion.

Why do this? Because you desire to share in the mental and spiritual qualities of Christ. This is the purpose.

There can be other purposes... the intentions of people are many and varied. For some it is a social cue that conveys their social membership. For some it is an affirmation of personal belief to a particular belief system. etc.
Welcome to RF Emma. I hope you and your group are finding being on this site helpful.

Communion is one of the sacraments of the Christian Church. It isn't part of any of the other religions. Its Christian origins most likely relate to Christ's last supper where Jesus broke bread with His disciples and drunk wine. The bread symbolised the body of Christ whereas the wine His blood. The Body of Christ is an important phrase that is used many times in the Old Testament to represent the Church or body of faithful believers. In that sense it appears to enable Christians to draw closer to God through Christ and affirm one's place within the Christian community.

Baha'is like Muslims revere Jesus, the Gospels and worship the God of Abraham. I grew up Christian but converted to the Baha'i Faith nearly 30 years ago in my twenties.

What does communion mean to you?

The reason I posted this question was due to the fact that I have grown up Catholic, learning that in the Eucharist I receive the real body and blood of Christ. This sacrament allows members of the Church to receive sacramental graces and it also allows us to grow closer in our relationship with God.

Other churches do not believe that the bread and wine is fully the blood and body of Christ which is why I was curious why they partook in communion.

Emma Pope

For those who think the bread and wine are a mere representation of Christ's body and blood, where do they gather this belief?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Support each other as a family. I go to a small church. The first time I went, in the middle of the sermon we were asked two questions: "what are the joys you have recently?" and four or five answer. The next "what struggles have you hand?" another four or five. Some people talked about their first baby. Some cried in front of us saying how they lost a loved one or recently found a friend they've been searching for for almost twenty years.

Each religion has their own definition of communion, of course. When I was in the Catholic Church, communion was like-worship and connecting by jesus christ at his meal. So, the communion was based on a central/outside focus.

Where I'm at, everyone has their outside or inside focus. It's literally being a family. They call it a covenant-religion rather than creedal. Very nice.

Basically, that's it.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
The reason I posted this question was due to the fact that I have grown up Catholic, learning that in the Eucharist I receive the real body and blood of Christ. This sacrament allows members of the Church to receive sacramental graces and it also allows us to grow closer in our relationship with God.

Other churches do not believe that the bread and wine is fully the blood and body of Christ which is why I was curious why they partook in communion.

Ooooh! I get ya totally.

I was catholic four years or so and been to protestant churches too so hope this helps a bit. I can't speak for all.

I used to go to a baptist church off and on. Each church is different, but the last time I went we would talk to each other before sermon. People recap what they did that week. A lot of people know each other personally. Communion was the church coming together in a relationship with like minded people. Like the Body of Christ, Jesus wasn't a stranger to his apostles. So, similar.

Another thing is instead of the Eucharist, people worship in christ's (his apostles) words. So, the Eucharist to a Catholic is the physical Bible to a protestant (non-liturgical). They commune by sharing knowledge and experiences about the word of god and how these experiences in christ shaped their lives.

Communal is about the "invisible" christ in each person joining together in worship.

Where as Catholic is about the "physical" christ in each person joining together in worship.

They both have christ. One puts more emphasis on spiritual communion because they feel physical is not aligned with spiritual. The latter doesn't differentiate spiritual and physical because jesus ate and drink real bread and wine rather than spiritual bread and wine.

Those are the differences. I don't know how all catholic churches and liturgical ones take it. I was Roman Catholic, so that's my experience of it.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
The reason I posted this question was due to the fact that I have grown up Catholic, learning that in the Eucharist I receive the real body and blood of Christ.

I'm presuming you don't mean the literal body and blood of Jesus who live two thousand years ago? Maybe you do. How could that be?

This sacrament allows members of the Church to receive sacramental graces and it also allows us to grow closer in our relationship with God.

Communion is clearly important to the Catholic Church and other churches in developing your relationship with God. Of course other faith practitioners do just fine developing their relationship with God without such sacraments. Practices for Baha'is including prayer, reading from our sacred writings twice daily, study of our sacred writings and practising its teachings in our day to day life, serving our communities and actively teaching what we have learnt to others. The ablutions before daily obligatory prayer involve washing hands and face before turning to God in prayer.

I'm not saying one is right or wrong or even better than the other. We simply have different traditions and practices that assist us turn towards God and to walk in His ways.

I can see why other churches would not view the bread and wine as fully the blood and body of Christ. The Teachings of Christ are full of allegory and symbolism are they not?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
did you notice?
the Carpenter began His ministry
eat My body and drink My blood

that congregation almost killed Him

He ended His ministry saying the same thing

and when the soldiers came
His disciples fled

and the Carpenter was killed

before He left the Table....He said....
Do this in remembering Me

the Passover was intended for Moses
the Carpenter took the ceremony and made it His

not very Jewish

Emma Pope

I'm presuming you don't mean the literal body and blood of Jesus who live two thousand years ago? Maybe you do. How could that be?

Communion is clearly important to the Catholic Church and other churches in developing your relationship with God. Of course other faith practitioners do just fine developing their relationship with God without such sacraments. Practices for Baha'is including prayer, reading from our sacred writings twice daily, study of our sacred writings and practising its teachings in our day to day life, serving our communities and actively teaching what we have learnt to others. The ablutions before daily obligatory prayer involve washing hands and face before turning to God in prayer.

I'm not saying one is right or wrong or even better than the other. We simply have different traditions and practices that assist us turn towards God and to walk in His ways.

I can see why other churches would not view the bread and wine as fully the blood and body of Christ. The Teachings of Christ are full of allegory and symbolism are they not?

I do mean the literal body and blood of Jesus. The first concept that plays a role in this is the fact that God exists outside of time, so the 2000 years serves no purpose. Many religions believe in communion as a representation as previously mentioned. However, countless Bible verses exist that tell us the bread and wine is the full divinity of Christ. For example, John Chapter 6, “Unless you eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, you have no life in you.” and once again during the Last Supper when he says "take this all of you and eat of it for this is my body. This phrase is once again repeated with the blood. No verse in the Bible would suggest it is a representation, but rather they all suggest it truly is the body and blood. It is a very challenging concept to comprehend none the least, which many Catholics still struggle with.

Emma Pope

did you notice?
the Carpenter began His ministry
eat My body and drink My blood

that congregation almost killed Him

He ended His ministry saying the same thing

and when the soldiers came
His disciples fled

and the Carpenter was killed

before He left the Table....He said....
Do this in remembering Me

the Passover was intended for Moses
the Carpenter took the ceremony and made it His

not very Jewish
Could you explain "the Passover was intended for Moses"

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Yet in another thread you claimed you didn't know what theism is? :rolleyes: :tearsofjoy:

Ha. I said I did not know what god is. I understand the belief in god. A lot of people need to believe because it helps them. Doesn't mean I understand their god (rather).

Hence why I left. Every Catholic post I usually say "I was..." or "When I was..." and what I learned and didn't learn.

But I write long posts; so, I don't know if you picked up the context.

I understand the context of math but when I try to do it, phew! You got me. So I don't take it anymore.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I do mean the literal body and blood of Jesus. The first concept that plays a role in this is the fact that God exists outside of time, so the 2000 years serves no purpose. Many religions believe in communion as a representation as previously mentioned. However, countless Bible verses exist that tell us the bread and wine is the full divinity of Christ. For example, John Chapter 6, “Unless you eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, you have no life in you.” and once again during the Last Supper when he says "take this all of you and eat of it for this is my body. This phrase is once again repeated with the blood. No verse in the Bible would suggest it is a representation, but rather they all suggest it truly is the body and blood. It is a very challenging concept to comprehend none the least, which many Catholics still struggle with.

I think a much less common example is when god gave the isrealites real bread but since it was from god it united them both in their bellies and because of god.

A lot of "bread and wine" means brought people together in christ. When I was going to Mass a lot, it didn't dawn on me (for some odd reason) that I was drinking wine. I had a lot more seizures than I used to (epilepsy). Then I realized I am drinking wine (not blood).

So, the wine is christ's Crucifixion/reconciliation and the bread is life/resurrection.

It's literal given to take them both is to be in communion with christ and his body. It is not literal because the consecration doesn't make the wine not christ just changes the substance in which that wine can be then given to the congregation as a blessing from god, by the priest, as and in and from christ.

It is not christ's actual blood (DNA) and his body (Haired flesh). It's literally a blessed meal (christ lords supper) given to the church so that the church becomes one with the Eucharist and god.

The cornerstone of communion is you receive christ in your heart but the bread and wine is a blessed meal christ gave/his life, death, and resurrection not christ (the actual person) himself.

The Eucharist is christ's Passion.

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Pretty lame reason to believe in something, lol. Was that your experience?

Thanks for asking. No. I never felt helped by god/deity. I didn't know people actually believed in deities. I've always thought it was more in the Roman Zues days.

Nothing wrong with it in itself. Everyone's different just when I realized it, among other things, it didn't click with me spiritually.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Thank you for your post Emma,

I do mean the literal body and blood of Jesus. The first concept that plays a role in this is the fact that God exists outside of time, so the 2000 years serves no purpose.

It is important in any interfaith discussion to be clear about concepts. The concept of communion on one level is not hard to understand, especially for one who has grown up within the traditions of the Christian Church. I have taken communion many times but no longer see the need.

Perhaps we can agree that communion will having different meanings to Christians, ex-Christians, members of other religions and those of no faith.

An important aspect of the last supper is that Christ has brought a New Covenant that was prophesised in the Hebrew Bible (Jeremiah 31:31).

And as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and blessed it, and brake it, and gave it to the disciples, and said, Take, eat; this is my body.
And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, Drink ye all of it;
For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.
But I say unto you, I will not drink henceforth of this fruit of the vine, until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father's kingdom.

Matthew 26:26-29

So the blood is symbolic of the New Testament.

The Body of Christ is mentioned on many occasions throughout the New Testament.

The members of the Body of Christ are joined to Christ in salvation (Ephesians 4:15-16)
The members of the Body of Christ follow Christ as their Head (Ephesians 1:22-23)
The Members of the Body of Christ are indwelt by the Holy Spirit of Christ (Romans 8:9)
The Members of the Body of Christ possess a diversity of gifts suited to particular functions (1 Corinthians 12:4-31)
The body is a unit, though it is made up of many parts; and though all its parts are many, they form one body. So it is with Christ”
(1 Corinthians 12:12).
The Members of the Body of Christ share a common bond with all other Christians, regardless of background, race, or ministry. “There should be no division in the body, but . . . its parts should have equal concern for each other” (1 Corinthians 12:25)
The Members of the Body of Christ are secure in their salvation (John 10:28-30)
The Members of the Body of Christ partake of Christ’s death and resurrection (Colossians 2:12)
The Members of the Body of Christ share Christ’s inheritance (Romans 8:17)
The Members of the Body of Christ receive the gift of Christ’s righteousness (Romans 5:17)

Your belief that you are literally drinking the blood of Jesus and eating His body maybe clear to you, but you haven't clarified it. I have provided you with the scripture that shows the symbolism of both the blood and body of Christ.

Many religions believe in communion as a representation as previously mentioned.

Only different denominations of Christianity believe in communion. The other major world religions such as Islam, Hinduism and Buddhist don't.

However, countless Bible verses exist that tell us the bread and wine is the full divinity of Christ. For example, John Chapter 6, “Unless you eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, you have no life in you.” and once again during the Last Supper when he says "take this all of you and eat of it for this is my body. This phrase is once again repeated with the blood. No verse in the Bible would suggest it is a representation, but rather they all suggest it truly is the body and blood. It is a very challenging concept to comprehend none the least, which many Catholics still struggle with.

The words from the Gospel of John refer to partaking of the New Covenant and the spiritual food which is the Teachings of Christ. The symbolism of the bread in connection to the Word of God is made clear in Matthew 4:4.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Could you explain "the Passover was intended for Moses"
it's the highest sabbath on the Jewish calendar

as I recall.....Moses had declared the sons of Egypt would die
and the Jews in Egypt were at risk

they marked their doors with blood
for the angel to see
and ...passover
sparing the sons of Jewish faith

at the Last Supper......the Carpenter took bread and wine
the same intended for the remembrance of the Exodus

and then said.....Do this in memory of Me

that would set Moses aside
a new direction

GoodbyeDave

A (hopefully) useful tip: make your posts where they will be seen by the right people and not the wrong ones! What you meant was "what do various Christian denominations believe?", and if you'd put in the Christian DIR you'd be spared all the non-Christian irrelevancies. Of course, you might actually like them…

Emma Pope

A (hopefully) useful tip: make your posts where they will be seen by the right people and not the wrong ones! What you meant was "what do various Christian denominations believe?", and if you'd put in the Christian DIR you'd be spared all the non-Christian irrelevancies. Of course, you might actually like them…

Thank you! This is very helpful! I am new to the sight and still learning!