• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Purification

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
In Tibetan Buddhism, we have a practice that is believed to purify negative karma in this life and in previous lifetimes. We call them the "Four Opponent Powers", and can be contemplated on when doing specific ritualistic mantras or prayers (such as the Prostrations/Confessions to the Thirty-Five Buddhas or the Hundred-Syllable Vajrasattva Mantra).

1. The Power of Regret
2. The Power of Reliance
3. The Power of Remedy
4. The Power of Resolve

That's the short list, obviously, and they each can be embellished on.......like in the Power of Reliance, we often times remind ourselves of the Three Refuges in the Buddha, the Dharma, and the Sangha.

When we seriously practice and concentrate on these Four Opponent Powers, it is said that negative karma is purified, and will not ripen under the appropriate causes and conditions.

Do you have purification rites, practices, mantras, or prayers?

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
There is a purification service in Nichiren Buddhism; it is generally called a Repentance Service. It is based on the Lotus Sutra. It is a group service - not something one can do alone. It is also quite powerful - I have participated twice, and both times have had an impact.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
There is a purification service in Nichiren Buddhism; it is generally called a Repentance Service. It is based on the Lotus Sutra. It is a group service - not something one can do alone. It is also quite powerful - I have participated twice, and both times have had an impact.

I could swear that I've watched something like this, Engyo, if it's based on the Lotus Sutra. I walked out of the building afterward feeling buzzed - obviously whatever I saw had an impact on me, too. Very cool. :)

Troublemane

The standard purification rite given by virtually all medieval grimoires is a 9-day process, which begins (with luna in her increase) with an hour of prayer in the morning, noon and evening for the first 6 days, (while lightly fasting); next, for 2 days there is prayer for 6 hours (2 at sunrise, 2 at noon, 2 at sunset), consuming only bread and water; and lastly, the ninth day is spent without eating or drinking anything, in prayer the entire day. At the end of the rite, then the magical operation (whatever it is) is to be undertaken.

I have got to say, I have only done part of it, as normal life usually intrudes. but then again i dont generally go conjuring major spirits anymore so the need for ritual purity is not as big a deal.
:D

tomspug

Absorbant
The Lord's Prayer is somewhat similar, focusing on different truths:

1. God is holy
2. Encouraging God's Will
3. Asking for provision
4. Asking for forgiveness in justice
5. Protection from temptation
6. Deliverance from evil
7. Acknowledgment of God's sovereignty

Focusing on each of these truths is a sort of purification, because it simultaneously acknowledges "untruths".

1. Doubt
2. Control
3. Reliance
4. Arrogance
5. Temptation
6. Fear
7. Uncertainty

Obviously, these foci aren't as self-centered, but it seems to be very similar. Because in prayer, you recognize the conflicts and problems of life and offer them to God as the "source" of salvation. The prayer itself isn't the salvation, but it is a trust in the responsibility of God for salvation.

Roal

I've done many herbal purification rituals, as well as the 9-day process that Troublemane mentioned.

I use a lot of Sage.....actually my apartment is inundated with sage at the moment....makes me feel squeaky clean lol.

I also do a lot of meditation and focused intent (i.e. bathing will focusing on spiritual purification)

Hope that's what you're looking for!

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Mystic Sangha,

When we seriously practice and concentrate on these Four Opponent Powers, it is said that negative karma is purified, and will not ripen under the appropriate causes and conditions.

Do you have purification rites, practices, mantras, or prayers?

You write * It is said that ......*. This means it is not your own experience. Can it be assumed that you are just blindly going through the rituals because it is said that.....* Or is there anything else???????

Personally it is the constant watchfullness of the present and the karma automatically does the needful.
Love & rgds

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Friend Mystic Sangha,

You write * It is said that ......*. This means it is not your own experience. Can it be assumed that you are just blindly going through the rituals because it is said that.....* Or is there anything else???????

Personally it is the constant watchfullness of the present and the karma automatically does the needful.
Love & rgds

Hi ZZ!

I was attempting to blend my own personal experience with what is taught. I felt compelled to describe what has been written down from the Tibetan tradition so that I could show that this was not something I just came up with all on my own. However, I also wanted to share my own personal experience without sounding as if it should work for everybody, or that everybody ought to try it.

My posts in this thread are very aloof for the purpose of allowing others to feel freely to share your own perspectives.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
I also spoke somewhat elliptically about our service. This is something that we only do during retreats, in group, and it isn't recommended for people new to the practice. We purposely don't just print it out for people to do on their own; that has led to confusion and misunderstandings in the past, and has proven to be unskillful means if not managed and led properly, in a supportive and meditative framework. It also doesn't work well sandwiched in between a trip to the grocery store and Johnny's soccer game.

Last edited:

Scarlett Wampus

psychonaut
I don't practise purification but I'd be interested in doing so within a Buddhist tradition.

The closest thing I have to a purification prayer is a habit I have when alone of becoming absorbed in gentle sadness at the unnecessary suffering in life. From that sadness arises forgiveness, empathy and compassion as well as an appreciation of the beauty revealed through such things. I find its a good way to reorientate myself if I've become unsettled.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I don't practise purification but I'd be interested in doing so within a Buddhist tradition.

The closest thing I have to a purification prayer is a habit I have when alone of becoming absorbed in gentle sadness at the unnecessary suffering in life. From that sadness arises forgiveness, empathy and compassion as well as an appreciation of the beauty revealed through such things. I find its a good way to reorientate myself if I've become unsettled.

Beautiful.

I think that's the power of transformative thought. In it's own right, it's purifying our mental afflictions. :)