• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Public Indecency, Yes or No

Skwim

Veteran Member
Last night I was watching an episode of Cops wherein a guy was at a public beach and approached a woman and asked her for oral sex. She said no and then called the police. After she explained to them what had happened they arrested the guy for public indecency.

My question: does asking this really amount to public indecency?

If so, why?

If no, why not?

But the real kicker here is that he was with his wife---evidently she wasn't nearby when he made his proposition---and when the police explained to her why they were arresting her husband, she was utterly unfazed. No reaction whatsoever. :shrug:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't know the legal definition of "public indecency" but there is certainly nothing decent about walking up to someone and asking for sexual favors. It's definitely sexual harassment, if nothing else. And if the prick does this on a routine basis, he deserves to rot in a jail cell for a while. Among other things.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
It's not typicaly the kind of question a stranger just walks up to a person and asks. That woman must have got quite a fright by his bold approach and was justifibly concerned when she called. If the guy wanted it so much, there are other venues to take in locating mutual consenting adults.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I don't know the legal definition of "public indecency" but there is certainly nothing decent about walking up to someone and asking for sexual favors. It's definitely sexual harassment, if nothing else. And if the prick does this on a routine basis, he deserves to rot in a jail cell for a while. Among other things.
I'm sure the definition of public indecency was written broadly enough to cover this sleaziness. He should be in jail for a few days with "wants oral sex" stitched into his shirt.

Tom

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Last night I was watching an episode of Cops wherein a guy was at a public beach and approached a woman and asked her for oral sex. She said no and then called the police. After she explained to them what had happened they arrested the guy for public indecency.

If so, why?

If no, why not?
Sounds like b******t cop rationalization.
It's not indecent to make a perfectly reasonable request.
What's worse is that you can be arrested for taking a whiz in public when you take
every precaution to avoid being observed. When nature calls, it can be very insistent.

Skwim

Veteran Member
It's not typicaly the kind of question a stranger just walks up to a person and asks. That woman must have got quite a fright by his bold approach and was justifibly concerned when she called. If the guy wanted it so much, there are other venues to take in locating mutual consenting adults.
If I remember correctly, after she declined he walked away.

dustin said:
Really doesn't make sense. That's not indecent exposure.
Gotta agree.

Last edited:

Skwim

Veteran Member
I'd say it's more along the lines of Harassment, since there's a direct targetted victim.
What if he asked her for a date? Would that amount to harassment? How about if he asked to sit beside her and hold her hand?

FYI,
harassment (either harris-meant or huh-rass-meant) n. the act of systematic and/or continued unwanted and annoying actions of one party or a group, including threats and demands.
source
And I believe the operative words here are "systematic and/or continued," neither of which occurred.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
It's not indecent to make a perfectly reasonable request.

I'm sorry, but how is that even remotely a reasonable request? How is it at all reasonable for a perfect stranger to come up to you and say "will you $#@% me" in any setting other than a brothel?

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
If I remember correctly, after she declined he walked away.
What if he hadn't? What if the next time he didn't? How does anybody know what someone with such poor judgment might do?

Try this thought experiment. Suppose you are in prison on your first day and the sun is going down. A stranger asks you to give them oral sex. That means your mouth and his penis, just to be clear. You say no and they wink at you and walk away.

Would you like the authorities to do something?

Tom

Skwim

Veteran Member
What if he hadn't? What if the next time he didn't? How does anybody know what someone with such poor judgment might do?
We don't, but are you really suggesting that we start arresting people for what you think they might do? "Oh officer, I saw that guy over there light a cigarette and believe that tomorrow the next thing he'll light on fire is that building. Better arrest him now!"

Try this thought experiment. Suppose you are in prison on your first day and the sun is going down. A stranger asks you to give them oral sex. That means your mouth and his penis, just to be clear. You say no and they wink at you and walk away.

Would you like the authorities to do something?
What should I think they do? Arrest him and throw him into pr . . . . . oops, he's already their. Besides, it's a dumb thought experiment because it doesn't illustrate a thing. We simply don't go around arresting people for what you think they may do. "Oh officer, I saw that guy over there light a cigarette and believe that tomorrow the next thing he'll light on fire is that building."

Last edited:

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member

If so, why?

If no, why not?

This sounds very weird.
I don't think it is sexual harassment or public indecency. In fact....there are several social experiments on youtube in which for example a sexy girl asks men to have sex with her.

I think it is something that the law considers inappropriate, especially in public places.
But if the man in question doesn't insist and goes away after receiving a negative answer...I don't think he committed a crime.

dust1n

Zindīq
Probably because you're a guy. We rarely need to be concerned about low level harrassment escalating into something much more dangerous.

Tom

If a question in a public place is escalated into harassment, I could see how there would be harassment.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'm sorry, but how is that even remotely a reasonable request? How is it at all reasonable for a perfect stranger to come up to you and say "will you $#@% me" in any setting other than a brothel?
While the chances of her accepting are vanishingly small, the potential reward is a fine time had by all.
It's also reasonable because she need only respond with "No" or perhaps with a price.

dust1n

Zindīq
I could think of a few examples in which someone of this nature would qualify as harassment such as a minor, or employment relations. But on the beach? By a stranger? Who walks off? I'm not sure how that qualifies for legal ramification.

Aquitaine

What if he asked her for a date? Would that amount to harassment? How about if he asked to sit beside her and hold her hand?

FYI,
harassment (either harris-meant or huh-rass-meant) n. the act of systematic and/or continued unwanted and annoying actions of one party or a group, including threats and demands.
source
And I believe the operative words here are "systematic and/or continued," neither of which occurred.

Try putting yourself in her situation: if a bloke approaches and basically says "suck my dick?" then I think it's fairly safe to assume he's a potential threat. Better safe than sorry.