• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Public Display of Religion?

GABRIEL2012

ok so i was at this local store today(no names, sorry) and they had this sign in the window with these"Shop Rules" writen on it. half way down the list was "No PDR" and i asked the shop keeper what it ment. he said it stands for "Public Display of Religion". it was funny at first but it got me thinking.
should religion be a private affair? or should it be something that we as induviduals shouldnt express in public (like when we are NOT with church groups or youth groups or whatever)

Last edited by a moderator:

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I don't see why it should. I find it quite annoying.
If I'm not preaching and harassing people, what's the big deal?

How do you even stop some people with their public displays of religion?

Must Muslim women remove hijabs?
Must Baptised Sikh men and women remove the five articles of faith? Should they cut their hair, remove their bangles, and remove their swords?
Should Hindus not be allowed to wear their tilaka (the Hindu mark)?

If people don't like that some people are religious, tough. I should be allowed to be religious if I'm not stepping on someone's toes -- and being seen as religious does not mean I'm stepping on someone's toes. If some people can't handle PDR.. frankly, tough.

mycorrhiza

People should be allowed to display it all they want as long as they don't force it upon others or preach hatred in public.

Orias

Left Hand Path
I think as long as you are subjecting yourself to others beliefs then you should be prepared for some type of violence whether it be vocal or physical.

I view this as a liability.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
It depends. I wear a cross and a fish around my neck- anyone who would ask me, I would tell him or her. But I wouldn't scream it out or announce it over the PA system. It's kind of offensive, if you ask me (Edit- the sign that is).

no-body

Sounds like unfortunate wording, maybe they meant no proselytizing?

Either way a store can enforce whatever rules they like as long as they aren't being discriminatory. As long as they enforce the rule equally it isn't a big deal though I could see such a sign driving business away which is probably why it was abbreviated.

Fraleyight

Sounds like unfortunate wording, maybe they meant no proselytizing?

Either way a store can enforce whatever rules they like as long as they aren't being discriminatory. As long as they enforce the rule equally it isn't a big deal though I could see such a sign driving business away which is probably why it was abbreviated.
Pretty much this.

If I believed evil things would happen to you if you didn't convert to my religion I would be all about convincing you that my religion is true. So in that sense I think it is ok for someone to preach their beliefs if the other person is willing to listen. Now if it is a place I have to pay tax dollars to keep going then no way.

I agree the owner of the shop has the right to say "no preaching" if he wants to.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
"No preaching" sounds a lot better than "No public displays of religion", though.

Honestly, this sounds more deliberately like "no religion" than no preaching.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I have to ask for a detail.

Is this store in an area of a country known for aggressive proselytization? If aggressive proselytization is a problem in the area, I can understand why the store might have a sign like that.

cablescavenger

ok so i was at this local store today(no names, sorry) and they had this sign in the window with these"Shop Rules" writen on it. half way down the list was "No PDR" and i asked the shop keeper what it ment. he said it stands for "Public Display of Religion". it was funny at first but it got me thinking.
should religion be a private affair? or should it be something that we as induviduals shouldnt express in public (like when we are NOT with church groups or youth groups or whatever)

The Management
I think we would be better without any congregations. The only positive I see in them is that the police can keep an eye on them to make sure they are not getting out of hand.

HerDotness

Lady Babbleon
Depends upon what this shopkeeper regards as PDR.

If that includes people coming into the store to press religious pamphlets upon other customers, then I agree completely that that is offensive. I'm in a store to shop, not to be proselytized.

I suspect this sort of thing is the concern as was what occurred once in the bookstore where I worked when some people from a local Christian sect decided they'd patrol the New Age-Occult section and inform anyone browsing those shelves that they needed to forsake such things for Jesus or would go to hell.

They were quickly disabused of the idea that this was an appropriate thing to do by an assistant manager.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
I think it should be available in some places, it should be the shopkeeper's opinion whether or not to have them.

gnomon

The Management

What is meant by public display of religion?

Where I work I have regulars who wear a hijab, tilaka, catholic priests wearing their collar in the store...had about four nuns walking around the store last night during a special event hosted by a local catholic school.

No one bats an eye.

Expression of religious belief that includes walking up to other customers and proselytizing. Well, if the other customer complains I'll toss you out the door. I don't want to see religious tracts left around the store (bathroom stall is their favorite place) nor any other type of religious expression that involves bothering other customers. Two or more customers freely engaging each other in a discussion. Don't care. As long as it's not people loudly defaming others and putting other customers at ill ease. There is no such thing as freedom of speech in a private business establishment.

If the shopkeeper means no religious attire or else no service under "PDR" that shopkeeper may be in violation of federal law.

HerDotness said:
I suspect this sort of thing is the concern as was what occurred once in the bookstore where I worked when some people from a local Christian sect decided they'd patrol the New Age-Occult section and inform anyone browsing those shelves that they needed to forsake such things for Jesus or would go to hell.

They were quickly disabused of the idea that this was an appropriate thing to do by an assistant manager.

Done that before. A retail bookstore is like a daycare for adults.

Fraleyight

Freedom of speech and expression should include religious speech and expression.
I agree for the most part, but I think the store owner has the right to bad anything he doesn't want in his store.

For instance if I'm running a daycare I can say "no swearing" what is wrong with that? It is my choice to do so if someone doesn't like the rules of my business they can go somewhere else.

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member

The Management

Well I think that is quite disgusting. People should be able to display their religion all they want anywhere they want. I remember in high school I was banned from wearing "satanic imagery", even though I didn't even associate with Satanism. I found out later that I could have caused some serious havoc for the admins about that, hindsight is 20/20...

Anyways, I understand if you cannot go into a place and start preaching. That is just rude. But people have the right to display anything they want to around their neck, on their fingers, on clothes etc.

I am curious to know what these owners would do if one had a visible cross tattoo...

F0uad

Can shopkeeper then also disallow disbelievers? it would be fair right...

In some religion its a obligation to wear something or to carry something, what about a beard or a way of a dressing?

Are you really going to disallow people these things?

If we are really going to live in this kind of society and accept this kind of behaviour then we see each other not as fellow humans but as products of a system what needs to be eliminated or are less then yourself.