• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prove that the Bible is from God!

Genna

There are many religions and many faiths all contending and claiming to be messages from God, and yet their gods vary vastly. How can one prove that the bible is from God? Anyone can write words and make the declaration that God had written it, where is the proof?

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
Depends on which part of you're referring to. The Jews wrote the bulk of it, I assume? The gospels are attributed to the men they're named for.

lamplighter

Almighty Tallest
As far as the christian holy book goes it's supposed to be witnesses of those suposed events. Though in the new testament it's people who knew the witnesses.

Now you can see why christians always have to interpret there book.

Mr. Hair

Renegade Cavalcade
So who wrote the bible?
Various people and councils gradually wrote and compiled what we would now recognise as the New Testament in the centuries following Jesus' death. The Orthodox cannon was more-or-less complete by around the turn of the fifth century, although at that time there was still some discord as to the actual contents.

It would take someone more knowledgeable in early Christian history then I to go into the actual details and so forth. :)

Genna

And yet Christians have the arrogancy to make the claim that God inspired the bible, and the the authors were the mouthpiece of God! You have four Gospels and 4 different accounts, if this was from God then we wouldn't need 4 different acounts, NONSENSE! BTW, I don't believe in Islam either, prove that was from God! I am an atheist!

lamplighter

Almighty Tallest
Well Paul didn't even know anyone. He was "Divinely" inspired in a dream by "god" to write his bit in the NT.

mingmty

Scientist
Genna said:
There are many religions and many faiths all contending and claiming to be messages from God, and yet their gods vary vastly. How can one prove that the bible is from God? Anyone can write words and make the declaration that God had written it, where is the proof?

Prove me you are not someone else dream and I will prove to you whatever you can spell. ;)

As I just said on another thread, scientific proofs belong to rational thought, intuition to the spirit.

Even science makes assumptions and has gone trough many crisis, don't you ask to use science to prove a religious artifact.

lamplighter

Almighty Tallest
From what I know the prophet Muhamid was exiled and lived in a cave starving to death when an angel came before him and told him to write the Koran.

kai

ragamuffin
at the end of the day it is a book of stories, the question is do you believe the stories ,its purely a matter of choice, you dont have to believe it or all of it ,but some people do believe it and although its good to ask them why they believe it ,i have found that its best to do so in a respectful enquiring way or you will get a response similar to a porcupine rolling up and presenting you with a barrage of spines

Genna

Typical, answering a question with a question! ha! your question is borderline confucianism where a chines person is dreaming he's a butterfly, then on waking asks himself if he's a butterfly dreaming he's a chinese person. I am not the one to prove that I am someone elses dream, I am asking to prove that the bible is from God, that is if there is a God! I don't believe in the bible or God and will bow down to nobody.

Mr. Hair

Renegade Cavalcade
Genna said:
And yet Christians have the arrogancy to make the claim that God inspired the bible, and the the authors were the mouthpiece of God!
Not all Christians claim this, nor does belief in Biblical inspiration entail belief in Biblical inerrancy.

NONSENSE!
Perhaps. I wish I knew as much as you, to be so sure of such things. :)

prove that was from God!
Why? Matters of faith cannot be proven, nor should it be required to offer such proof. Faith does not require objective evidence to be considered valid.

Genna

Faith does not require objective evidence? what is ridiculous about that statement is that different religions all have one thing in common, "FAITH", and yet their creeds and beliefs are as different as day and night. So the statement that Faith does not require objective evidence is amusing. If I say to you that I have faith that I can make you kneel before me and kiss my feet, does this make it true?

mingmty

Scientist
Tsk, tsk. :no:

You are too eager to respond and attack, for the sake of this thread I will copy & paste a previous post:

First of all I'm a scientist, I work with and for science and I consider myself a loyal user of the scientific thought. That's why I have read many books about the history of science and the history of scientific thought.

I make myself clear on this matter because you can't ask to "scientifically prove" something without understanding what is science... Or better yet, the scientific thought. I don't want to enter in details but even science has been trough many crisis and makes many assumptions. Two examples of such crisis are positivism, which almost make a religion out of science, and relativity, which finally destroyed the centuries old belief of science as an exact interpretation of the universe. One example of the assumptions is to consider that the universe molds the mind instead of the mind molding the universe, which neither of them can be proven (scientifically since the answer must be used to define science itself).

Asking for scientific proofs for a spiritual belief is pointless: Scientific proofs belong to rational thought, intuition to the spirit...

I'm not christian, but I don't ask for proofs of other peoples believes because I'm a scientist and I know those proofs wouldn't belong to science.

You haven't noticed yet, but you made science and the scientific method your religion.

kai

ragamuffin
Genna said:
Faith does not require objective evidence? what is ridiculous about that statement is that different religions all have one thing in common, "FAITH", and yet their creeds and beliefs are as different as day and night. So the statement that Faith does not require objective evidence is amusing. If I say to you that I have faith that I can make you kneel before me and kiss my feet, does this make it true?
if you really have faith in that, it would make your faith true yes, wether anyone would actually kiss your feet is a different matter
. its not the book its the faith in the book

gnostic

The Lost One
Hi Genna

There are a lot of silly Christians who believed that the entire Bible is the work of God. Only the more serious Christians scholars, both professionals and amateurs, believed that the books and letters in the bible, only described their relationship with God. This is big distinction between God being the author, and people being the authors, such as prophets and leaders or kings.

There are some portions where God is the speakers, and the prophets would record what God have said. This can be in the form of command or it can be in the form of revelation or prophecy. This doesn't mean that God wrote any of the book. Some people would say that the books in the Bible had inspired the writers, but being a non-theist I don't think such claim would mean that God had written it.

For example, I might be inspired by Madonna's career to write a book about her life and her contribution to the music world. Does that mean Madonna wrote the book? Of course, she didn't write it.

In the pre-Christian writings, thus the Old Testament, some works were written before the exile to Babylon, around the 6th century BCE, but many others were written during and after this exile. Some of the older works were edited. It was around this time that they began putting the books together. Around 3rd century BCE, they began translating most work into Greek, thus the Septuagint Bible, which included Aprocrypha literature. This was finished before any Christian writings began.
Most of the Christian, that's found in the bible, didn't began until 60 BC till the end of century, but all these gospels and letters were put together until much later date, but I don't remember when.

Again, being non-theist, and no believe of angels, I also don't think or believe in the claims that God wrote the Qur'an or the Book of Mormon too. Such claims can't be verified or substantiated.

Next time, you hear a Christian saying that the whole Bible is written by God, then just ignore him or her, because he/she doesn't know the history of how each individual book or letter was written.

mingmty

Scientist
Genna said:

You just proved my point: you made science and the scientific method your religion. But believe me, research a little about science, its origins and assumptions, and you will see how science and the scientific method doesn't fit on what you are trying to use it... You just invented a relaxed "science" to yourself and have blind faith on it... Your religion.

mingmty

Scientist
gnostic said:

Hehehe, you made a mistake in your logical and rational "agnostic" argument. If you consider yourself limited to really know God (as agnostics do) then you also can't deny that the book was written by God, you just know too little ;)

If you are so sure that you can prove the bible wasn't written by God then prove God exists, you seem to fit for the job... You can't? too bad... That's the whole point of the agnostics defining themselves as ignorants of God's nature.