• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pros and cons of attempts at perceiving many or all religions as pointing to the same conclusions

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
OMG, you're not implying that the entire Christian view of Jesus' sacrifice is carte blanche permission to continue "sinning"? Surely there's a Christian reading this who can provide some insight on their Master's teachings in this regard?

Namaste Swamini,

I am simply stating that there are differing POVs. Not everyone under this umbrella we call Hinduism has the same POV. There are many. We have 4 main sects, and countless sampradayas and paramparas within those. I have yet to express my personal POV at all here, and I generally don't in Hindu Solidarity type discussion. It can lead to hard feelings. I will leave it at that.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
whole religions that seem put a lot of value in attempting to disregard the differences among religions.
in an attempt to unite them, no harm in it. It is very courteous to start the dialogue with similarities and difference should be removed if these are superfulous.
Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
We run the risk of attempting to tell people what their beliefs "really are", and that of course is not anyone else's call to make. It amounts to deciding that other people are holding wrong beliefs and should submit to our own judgement on the matter.
Please replace the word "judgement" with the word "thinking". We cannot judge others, the judgment will be made by G-d on the Day of Judgement, and that I think you don't believe in, nevertheless, it will be there to face it.
Regards

Sw. Vandana Jyothi

Truth is One, many are the Names
Premium Member
Namaste Swamini,
I am simply stating that there are differing POVs. Not everyone under this umbrella we call Hinduism has the same POV. There are many. We have 4 main sects, and countless sampradayas and paramparas within those. I have yet to express my personal POV at all here, and I generally don't in Hindu Solidarity type discussion. It can lead to hard feelings. I will leave it at that.

Namaste, Vinayakaji
Hindu Solidarity type discussion? I didn't know that's what this was. I'm not at all solid with your response to my dismay at what you said about Jesus, the Master. I, too, will leave it at that.

AUM Shantih'

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Of course, talking about differences of belief and attempting to convince others of how they should be interpreted is a whole lot better than not even caring enough to do that
It is a peaceful dialogue, one should be tolerant enough to lend ears to others and give one's reasonable responses.
Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Namaste, Vinayakaji
Hindu Solidarity type discussion? I didn't know that's what this was. I'm not at all solid with your response to my dismay at what you said about Jesus, the Master. I, too, will leave it at that.
AUM Shantih'
What did he/she say about Jesus? Please quote from him/her.
Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
That would not be absurd. There are significant challenges in attempting to respect and establish healthy understandings with people if we can't even agree on what is worth pursuing in life, both in the practical and idealistic senses.
True
Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
So it seems to me that for good or worse, this diversity is here to stay and we all better learn to accept it as graciously as we can. If nothing else, that will encourage people to be true to themselves and to avoid unnecessary conflicts.
A good suggestion.
Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Think all religions can be seen as part of the same, as long as you've got a large enough umbrella...
Yet when someone only has a very small umbrella, and insist everyone should get under it, that is where problems occur. :innocent:
Well, don't worry about that, we have the whole sky above as an umbrella:
[21:33] And We have made the heaven a roof, well protected; yet they turn away from its Signs.
http://www.alislam.org/quran/search2/showChapter.php?ch=21&verse=32
Regards

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
What did he/she say about Jesus? Please quote from him/her.
Regards

Paarsurrey, most likely I said I didn't believe Jesus existed. That doesn't mean that he didn't exist, it just means that I've looked into it, and see no reason to believe he existed. I am not alone in this belief. Lots of people on this planet believe as I do. Many people interpret that as hate, and tell me I hate them, for me holding that belief. I have many Christian friends, and get along admirably with many on this forum, and we share mutual respect. As for Hindus, some do, some don't. Obviously, Swamini does, and obviously that is her right. To me, as I've said before, my religion offers everything I would ever need, and more so I don't need other stuff from outside Hinduism. Jesus is irrelevant to my personal practices. Obviously, other people feel otherwise, and that is their right too. We do have freedom of religion, after all. In fact, I will stand up for your right, and anyone else's right to express their personal belief. It just so happens that not everyone on this planet shares the same beliefs.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Paarsurrey, most likely I said I didn't believe Jesus existed. That doesn't mean that he didn't exist, it just means that I've looked into it, and see no reason to believe he existed. I am not alone in this belief. Lots of people on this planet believe as I do. Many people interpret that as hate, and tell me I hate them, for me holding that belief. I have many Christian friends, and get along admirably with many on this forum, and we share mutual respect. As for Hindus, some do, some don't. Obviously, Swamini does, and obviously that is her right. To me, as I've said before, my religion offers everything I would ever need, and more so I don't need other stuff from outside Hinduism. Jesus is irrelevant to my personal practices. Obviously, other people feel otherwise, and that is their right too. We do have freedom of religion, after all. In fact, I will stand up for your right, and anyone else's right to express their personal belief. It just so happens that not everyone on this planet shares the same beliefs.
In fact all those people who say"Jesus did not exist" mean they don't believe in the Christian mythological god, that sure never existed.
I endorse you here. Jesus son of Mary a human being sure existed, though.
Regards