• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prophethood in Judaism?

sadiq

Spain, Morocco, Jerusalem
Read the second post in this thread, The prophets are MEN not angelic or divine.

Tamar

I am Jewish.
Read the second post in this thread, The prophets are MEN not angelic or divine.

There are women prophets too.

Judaism 101: Prophets and Prophecy

Female Prophets
Sarah Gen 11:29 - 23:20
Miriam Ex. 15:20-21; Num. 12:1-12:15, 20:1
Deborah Judges 4:1 - 5:31
Hannah I Sam 1:1 - 2:21
Abigail I Sam 25:1 - 25:42
Huldah II Kings 22:14-20
Esther Esther

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/Judaism/The_List_of_Prophets.html

The Talmud (Megillah 14a) says that there had been twice as many prophets as the number of people who left Egypt (2,600,000), but only those whose messages were for future generations were recorded. This count was 48 male and 7 female Prophets.
The Talmud lists the 7 females as:

1. Sarah

2. Miriam

3. Devorah

4. Hannah (mother of Shmuel)

5. Avigail (who became a wife of David Hamelech)

6. Huldah (from the time of Yirmiyahu)

7. Esther

Last edited:

sadiq

Judaism 101: Prophets and Prophecy

Female Prophets
Esther Esther

The List of Prophets

The Talmud (Megillah 14a) says that there had been twice as many prophets as the number of people who left Egypt (2,600,000), but only those whose messages were for future generations were recorded. This count was 48 male and 7 female Prophets.

1. Sarah

2. Miriam

3. Devorah

7. Esther

I know that i meant Men as normal Human beings in contrast to Angelic figures.

Tamar

I am Jewish.
I know that i meant Men as normal Human beings in contrast to Angelic figures.

When you say Men it means men to most people. For women it is important to include woman in prophethood.

If you say men and women there will be no misunderstanding especially when explaining.

So I added that women were prophets too.

Last edited:

sadiq

When you say Men it means men to most people. For women it is important to include woman in prophethood.

If you say men and women there will be no misunderstanding especially when explaining.

Point taken, Sorry for the misunderstanding :bow:

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist

Sorry, I don't see it. I use the word 'Men' in this context all the time. the point of discussion wasn't whether they were men or women, but whether prophets or biblical figures in general are humanly flawed or not.

Tamar

I am Jewish.
Sorry, I don't see it. I use the word 'Men' in this context all the time. the point of discussion wasn't whether they were men or women, but whether prophets or biblical figures in general are humanly flawed or not.

I honestly think most men don't give thought to the language and that using "male gender" to describe both men and women is sometimes lost on women.

For me when I see the word men it means men. It excludes women and this is just my opinion.

I would never use the word women and expect it to mean men and women, nor use men to mean both men and women.

I really do not want to argue the point just pointing out how I saw it from a women's perspective.

Last edited:

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
I would never use the word women and expect it to mean men and women, nor use men to mean both men and women.
As far as I can tell it's because it is a linguistic standard which I thought we all recognize. like saying 'Mankind' for example.

Tamar

I am Jewish.
As far as I can tell it's because it is a linguistic standard which I thought we all recognize. like saying 'Mankind' for example.

For me it is language put in place by men and for many women it is not a standard we see as always acceptable.

I was responding to the " The prophets are MEN not angelic or divine. " which for me excluded that men and women were prophets.

There are times when women need to be acknowledged and this was an instance.

Yes I see the word mankind meaning all humanity.

Last edited:
Are Lot, David, Soloman included in that 2.600.000 prophets?

Female Prophets
Esther Esther

1. Sarah

2. Miriam

3. Devorah

7. Esther

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Are Lot, David, Soloman included in that 2.600.000 prophets?
I'm pretty sure that Jewish members have already answered that these Biblical persons are not considered to be prophets.
in fact the Bible often illustrates a storyline which includes a monarch (such as David and Solomon) AND the prophet who advises or criticises them.
take a moment to think about that.
because if you are a Muslim it will give you a very different context in who you think is a prophet and what are his roles.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
For me it is language put in place by men and for many women it is not a standard we see as always acceptable.

I was responding to the " The prophets are MEN not angelic or divine. " which for me excluded that men and women were prophets.

There are times when women need to be acknowledged and this was an instance.
Wow. I feel that I am an oppressor of women without even intending to be.
well its like I tell my wife, 'I am a grand Inquisitor'.
Yes I see the word mankind meaning all humanity.
That is how I see it. sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Tamar

I am Jewish.
Wow. I feel that I am an oppressor of women without even intending to be.
well its like I tell my wife, 'I am a grand Inquisitor'.

That is how I see it. sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Opressor of women??? I just stated my opinion.

But that being said it is how many women see it. I think unless you have walked in the shoes it is hard to understand. I do find it curious that instead of just accepting that is how I see it and it is my opinion I am now being made to feel somehow wrong that I expressed it.

Last edited:

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Opressor of women??? I just stated my opinion.
I was being humorous Tamar...
I do find it curious that instead of just accepting that is how I see it and it is my opinion I am now being made to feel somehow wrong that I expressed it.
I think you are seeing things which are not there.

Tamar

I am Jewish.
I was being humorous Tamar...

I think you are seeing things which are not there.

ok, Guess I need to go find my sense of humor... Sometimes it is hard to read on a page to get the sense of what someone means.

Sorry Caladan!