• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Procreation

Blindinglight

Disciple of Chaos
I have noticed, that a very big argument against homosexuality is the fact they can't reproduce (which is no longer an issue with advances in biology and genetics).
I know the Bible says to "go forth and multiply", but I have two questions.

1) With the world in a state of massive over population, and the earth not being able to replenish rescources fast enough, do you think God wants everyone to multiply, and ultimatly destroy the world?
*Please, do not turn this into a "but Jesus might come tomorow, so don't worry about it" type of debate.*

2) A couple marries, but one of them is infertile, from something outside of there control, such as a birth defect. Given this male and female couple are married, but can't reproduce, is it sin for them to have sex?

JayHawes

1)The genetic or accidental infertility of a couple does not have the same comparison to the chosen lifestyle of homosexuality. Even if a copule is infertile, they are still a man and a woman. Just because the World is "overpopulated" -considering our food supplies, does not mean God just up and said, "okay....men I want you to stop sleeping with women and sleep with men so the population will not grow anymore"

2) It is not a sin for a married couple (a man and a woman) to have sex. The Mechanism of sex is to reproduce, overhowever it is also a proven science that life without sex is unhealthy. This is in accordance where Paul taught that it is better to marry than to burn.

Prometheus

Semper Perconctor
1) With the world in a state of massive over population, and the earth not being able to replenish rescources fast enough, do you think God wants everyone to multiply, and ultimatly destroy the world?
*Please, do not turn this into a "but Jesus might come tomorow, so don't worry about it" type of debate.*

Over-population and diminishing resources is a myth. It has been blown completely out of proportion. We are not raping the world as much as everyone seems to think.

2) A couple marries, but one of them is infertile, from something outside of there control, such as a birth defect. Given this male and female couple are married, but can't reproduce, is it sin for them to have sex?

Yes.

Blindinglight

Disciple of Chaos
I am curious. You claim to not have any religion, but you view it as "sin" for a married couple to have sex, even though they are unable to reproduce, for biological, genetic, or other reasons which left one of the members infertile.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Human fertility is actually pretty low in general... it takes a lot of trys to be successfull.
IMHO that is a good thing, the fun is all the practice... ;)

My religion views sex as a joy from creator, not a job or a means to an end. Children are a gift not a mandate. And love is a matter of the heart, not a function of gender.

wa:do

xexon

Destroyer of Worlds
1)The genetic or accidental infertility of a couple does not have the same comparison to the chosen lifestyle of homosexuality. Even if a copule is infertile, they are still a man and a woman. Just because the World is "overpopulated" -considering our food supplies, does not mean God just up and said, "okay....men I want you to stop sleeping with women and sleep with men so the population will not grow anymore"

2) It is not a sin for a married couple (a man and a woman) to have sex. The Mechanism of sex is to reproduce, overhowever it is also a proven science that life without sex is unhealthy. This is in accordance where Paul taught that it is better to marry than to burn.

Life without sex is unhealthy? Since when?

And it kind of shoots religious celibacy in the head, doesn't it?

I've been something of a monk my entire life.Spent most of that time celibate. Never married or had children. And despite my years, I'm about as healthy as humans come. I take no medicines or suppliments. My yearly physical usually ends with the doctor throwing up his hands and declaring I'm the healthiest person he's seen all day.

Must be the yogic lifestyle and vegetarian diet.

Western medicine has alot to learn about what is unhealthy.

x

Prometheus

Semper Perconctor
I am curious. You claim to not have any religion, but you view it as "sin" for a married couple to have sex, even though they are unable to reproduce, for biological, genetic, or other reasons which left one of the members infertile.

I'm playing Devil's Advocate. There is no such thing as sin, but if there were, and the Bible was our guide for what is sin, then sex without intent to procreate would be a sin.

JayHawes

Life without sex is unhealthy? Since when?

And it kind of shoots religious celibacy in the head, doesn't it?

I've been something of a monk my entire life.Spent most of that time celibate. Never married or had children. And despite my years, I'm about as healthy as humans come. I take no medicines or suppliments. My yearly physical usually ends with the doctor throwing up his hands and declaring I'm the healthiest person he's seen all day.

Must be the yogic lifestyle and vegetarian diet.

Western medicine has alot to learn about what is unhealthy.

x

Some scientist say that to not have sex is unhealthy (thats what they say.....they're the experts. I do though understand that there are religious celebates who are commited to the promise/commitment they make. Jesus says that such people who never lay with anyone will be equal unto the angels in heaven (of course you need to believe in God).

I understand that the west focuses alot on Medicine, and of course it is our sex-crazed society that contributed to the article that I referred to. It is unhealthy over here, some people will rape others, or even commit suicide because of depression....

JayHawes

I'm playing Devil's Advocate. There is no such thing as sin, but if there were, and the Bible was our guide for what is sin, then sex without intent to procreate would be a sin.

If you dont beleive the bible to be a basis for sin, then how would you then say that sex w/o a cuase for pro-ceration is a sin? (unless i mis-understood your question).

Let me also type that Sex within Marriage (one man and one woman) is never mentioned to be a sin in the bible.

Nanda

Polyanna
The Mechanism of sex is to reproduce, overhowever it is also a proven science that life without sex is unhealthy.

Many Christians say that they have no problem with homosexuals, just as long as they don't practice homosexual sex. If a life without sex in unhealthy, that seems rather cruel.

FatMan

Over-population and diminishing resources is a myth. It has been blown completely out of proportion.

Try telling that to people in certain parts of China, India, and most of Africa. Over-population may not be AS much of an issue in the western World, but it certainly is taking a toll among the remainder of the globe.

Prometheus

Semper Perconctor
Try telling that to people in certain parts of China, India, and most of Africa. Over-population may not be AS much of an issue in the western World, but it certainly is taking a toll among the remainder of the globe.

Note that the western world produces much more food than it could ever use. The problem is not the lack of resources but that we let so much of it waste.

fullyveiled muslimah

Evil incarnate!
Note that the western world produces much more food than it could ever use. The problem is not the lack of resources but that we let so much of it waste.

I agree wholeheartedly. We should start another thread on this if anyone is interested. I also do not think the earth is overpopulated. I believe resources are not only wasted but unequally distributed by far. If maybe those who have would share fairly with those who have not, we'd be in better position. I think we do too much polluting, but it isn't irreversible if we act on what we know.

JayHawes

Many Christians say that they have no problem with homosexuals, just as long as they don't practice homosexual sex. If a life without sex in unhealthy, that seems rather cruel.

That's what some scientist said, i was merely typing what he said he studied. Sorry if it seemse cruel but those are not my words, but his....(maybe they're wrong).

Nanda

Polyanna
That's what some scientist said, i was merely typing what he said he studied. Sorry if it seemse cruel but those are not my words, but his....(maybe they're wrong).

I'm not objecting to the idea that a sexless life is unhealthy, I'm objecting to Christians telling homosexuals that god will love them if they lead a celibate lifestyle. Seems cruel.

Super Universe

Defender of God
I have noticed, that a very big argument against homosexuality is the fact they can't reproduce (which is no longer an issue with advances in biology and genetics).
I know the Bible says to "go forth and multiply", but I have two questions.

The argument against homosexuality is a continuation of the age old argument from people who dislike and fear what they do not understand. A heterosexual cannot understand how a person can be sexually attracted to another of the same gender. Also, homosexuals can and do reproduce.

The world is not in a state of over population, in fact, there are gigantic open areas many more times that covered with population. We have plenty of food, enough for everyone, even enough to completely eliminate all starvation. It's just that not everyone can afford it.

We are to be fruitful and multiply because more humans means more souls can come into this dimension but this desire from above does not override your free will to choose your own life.

cardero

Citizen Mod
Blindinglight writes: I have noticed, that a very big argument against homosexuality is the fact they can't reproduce (which is no longer an issue with advances in biology and genetics).

This argument also falls flat in the fact that homosexuals already understand that they cannot reproduce.

Blindinglight writes: 1) With the world in a state of massive over population, and the earth not being able to replenish rescources fast enough, do you think God wants everyone to multiply, and ultimatly destroy the world?
(This will also no longer be an issue due to further advances in bio-engineering and technology.)

Blindinglight writes: 2) A couple marries, but one of them is infertile, from something outside of there control, such as a birth defect. Given this male and female couple are married, but can't reproduce, is it sin for them to have sex?
God doesn’t really care about the biological imperfections or the DISeases of humans but is mostly concern with monitoring their sexual practices. Sort of a Divine Voyeurism.

jonny

Have you been anywhere out West? The world is not in a state of massive overpopulation. Drive from Salt Lake to Reno and you've got 10 hours straight of empty dirt. All you need to do is get more water out here and you've got plenty of useful land. Luckily, with this whole global warming thing, I've seen some videos that show we've got a lot of water on the way so this shouldn't be a problem. :D

No.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Over-population and diminishing resources is a myth. It has been blown completely out of proportion. We are not raping the world as much as everyone seems to think.

That's news to me.

I think within the context of the Biblical verse, we are overpopulated. Humans are the dominant predator, and we really have no reason to continue "subduing the earth," depending on the interpretation of the phrase.

(I do agree that humans are overly wasteful, which is a bigger problem than--and the root of--overpopulation.)

Human desire is based on reproduction, but we certainly don't have to reproduce to enjoy desire. Our "tools" were made for it, but I've used a screwdriver as a hammer before! (Meaning, tools can be useful for other than their created purpose.)