• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Problem of Universals

I am a

• Total voters

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't really think of myself as either. I've simply held the conviction for a very long time that it's dumb to call anything one can experience and know "not real" or somehow "less real." Which probably puts me in the real is real realism camp I guess?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
On the other hand, I'm not sure realism is where I sit because I do acknowledge that the way in which we experience something - in what fashion it is real to us - does have very real and meaningful distinctions. Really.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I believe abstract concepts are as real as measurable, physical phenomena insomuch as the mechanisms and faculties by which they are produced are common among humans. The brain chemistry and biology that underpin human emotions, thoughts, and creative processes are found among our species as a feature of our shared biological constitution.

However, many abstract concepts are much less intersubjectively verifiable than measurable, physical phenomena. I don't think this makes them less real, but it makes many of them subjective, personal, and individually variable rather than universally observable and measurable.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, so what is '2'?

According to a realist '2' is a concept we discover.

According a nominalist we made up '2' to describe a concept, but '2' itself isn't actually real (either in God's mind or Plato's Realm of Forms or anywhere else).
Interesting!

I'm honestly not sure which I fall into.

I know that I don't know much.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Interesting!

I'm honestly not sure which I fall into.

I know that I don't know much.
If somone shoots someone for no reason, do you believe the perpetrator ought to face justice?

Why? Justice is a concept, not something we can test scientifically.

You could say society has invented the concept of justice, but that still means that justice isn't strictly 'real', just a useful fiction.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
If somone shoots someone for no reason, do you believe the perpetrator ought to face justice?
For the sake of order, something oughta be done. Justice? What is that? I don't know, maybe it will make someone feel good if the person sits in a cell somewhere so they can think about what they've done, but I'd rather get to the bottom of why they did it, and then go from there.
Why? Justice is a concept, not something we can test scientifically.
I feel justice is made up, unreal other than in the heads of the people who have made it up, or agree upon its existence.

But, as some others have pointed out, just because it only exists in someone's mind, does that mean its unreal?
You could say society has invented the concept of justice, but that still means that justice isn't strictly 'real', just a useful fiction.
Useful fiction. I like that. I could agree its useful fiction.

Onasander

Screenshot_20231010_180502_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20231010_180517_Gallery.jpg

Onasander

I should point out my position isn't on that matrix. I posted it so some of you can find positions expanded beyond what was available in the OP.