• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Problem of Evil Revisited

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
You're just making that up, as you have no way of knowing it to be so. And then you're using your presumption to blame everything on "God".
Lol!
No he didn't make that up. Religionists did. It's all through this thread, religious people making up implausible stories to support their irrational and incoherent god image and world view.
From Guy Threepwood to Muslim UK, and many others, it's religious people making the claims about God.
Tom

Daniel108

Even if it's about people needing to show compassion and make wise decisions, there are far more natural things killing people because of disease than accidents, murders and even war. This is a harsh reality almost making God seem malevolent, like we are violating some laws even being here. Do we get to blame god when it has nature throwing nastiness at us or we still blame humans?

Shalom idav,

Actually, we live in a time when diseases that once devastated humankind have largely been brought under control. However, wars continue to devastate the world; case in point being WWII when c. seventy million people were killed with subsequent wars continuing to add to this human devastation.

There is an ongoing battle between good and evil, with the true instigators hiding behind the scenes utilizing wealthy and influential people to do their actual dirty work. Some of the henchmen of the hidden evildoers can be found in secret organizations such as the Bilderbergs, llluminati, Skull and Bones and others. Opposing these evildoers are godly people, those that compassionately use their lives to expose evil and help the world to be a kinder, more peaceful and harmonious place to live. Living this way is not easy and we owe a great debt to those before us upon whose shoulders we all stand.

We are ALL needed to join in brightening the world, to forget ourselves and humbly work for the greater good. We cannot perform this work in this forum; we need to spend more of our time in our communities wherever help is needed, e.g. volunteering utilizing our time and skills in hospitals, senior centers, politically, and when able, financially, for those suffering in poverty, homelessness, and the problems of old age among others.

Ask yourselves, have I been doing all I can to help better the world? If not, you are needed to begin as soon as you can. The life you save may be your own.

Muslim-UK

Premium Member
Yes absolutely!
IF you are an all powerful, all knowing parent, who designed and made the children exactly as they are, and put them in whatever circumstances that they grew up in,
Then yes you are totally responsible for their behavior.

Human parents aren't like that. They are very limited, fallible, beings. Quite unlike God(as described by religionists)
Tom
Angels conform to your first paragraph as perfect beings without Freewill.

Man has been taught the difference between right/wrong and given free will to make decisions leading to our accountability. By all means take it up with Him in the hereafter. Everyone reading this will be there to see how great the arguments against Him will be :/

PureX

Veteran Member
Lol!
No he didn't make that up. Religionists did.
Once he has chosen to present it as his own position, it becomes his own.

Playing the straw man that you want to then tear apart is a silly way to present your straw man. But some people just can't help themselves.
It's all through this thread, religious people making up implausible stories to support their irrational and incoherent god image and world view.
From Guy Threepwood to Muslim UK, and many others, it's religious people making the claims about God.
Tom
Perhaps, but I wasn't replying to them.

serp777

Sorry but I've never seen a parent in Court being judged for the actions of their children.
I never said there was a court, i was talking about us criticizing and judging them, but a parent would be legally judged if they endangered or abused their children and their children acted out as a result. Being abused is often a legal defense used to grant clemency. There are multiple usages of the word judge. I did not mean literally judge in court.

PureX

Veteran Member
They are the largest fraction in the country in which I live.
No they really aren't. They may be the most news-noted, and the most annoying, but they are still only a small percentage of theists in your country. In fact, evangelicals represent only a small percentage of theists in every country. Could it be that your view of reality is being twisted a bit by your own bias against them?

Last edited:

Milton Platt

No they really aren't. They may be the most news-noted, and the most annoying, but they are still only a small percentage of theists in your country. In fact, evangelicals represent only a small percentage of theists in every country. Could it be that your view of reality are being twisted by your own bias against them?

I didn't say Evangelicals. I said Christians.
Christianity is by far the largest religion in the United States; more than three-quarters of Americans identify as Christians. A little more than half of us identify asProtestants, about 23 percent as Catholic and about 2 percent as Mormon.Jun 4, 2014

PureX

Veteran Member
I didn't say Evangelicals. I said Christians.
Christianity is by far the largest religion in the United States; more than three-quarters of Americans identify as Christians. A little more than half of us identify asProtestants, about 23 percent as Catholic and about 2 percent as Mormon.Jun 4, 2014
The vast majority of Christians are not evangelical.

Milton Platt

again, I am not addressing a fraction of the Christians. I am addressing the religion in general. I am sure there is some subset of Christians who never try to share their religion with others.

PureX

Veteran Member
again, I am not addressing a fraction of the Christians. I am addressing the religion in general. I am sure there is some subset of Christians who never try to share their religion with others.
Sharing one's religion does make one "evangelical". Nor does it make the religion "evangelical".

Milton Platt

Sharing one's religion does make one "evangelical". Nor does it make the religion "evangelical".

Yeah, you're right. I'm conflating terms. Sorry about that.
Is this the correct definition in your view?
  1. 1.
    of or according to the teaching of the gospel or the Christian religion.
    synonyms: scriptural, biblical;
    fundamentalist
    "evangelical Christianity"

noun
  1. 1.
    a member of the evangelical tradition in the Christian Church.

PureX

Veteran Member
Yeah, you're right. I'm conflating terms. Sorry about that.
Is this the correct definition in your view?
  1. 1.
    of or according to the teaching of the gospel or the Christian religion.
    synonyms: scriptural, biblical;
    fundamentalist
    "evangelical Christianity"

noun
  1. 1.
    a member of the evangelical tradition in the Christian Church.
Putting the words "evangelical" and "Christianity" next to each other in a dictionary does not mean that Christianity is evangelical.

There are evangelical Christians, but they make up only a small fraction of all Christians. Christianity as a religion does promote inclusion, but not through any overtly evangelical means. Jesus was a Jew, and Judaism is not evangelical. Nor was Jesus evangelical. He was a Jew preaching to other Jews, and if anyone else was interested they were not discouraged, but not coerced, either. He never claimed that anyone needed to become a Jew, or needed become his followers (a Christian). And to this day most Christians practice a "live and let live" philosophy regarding the beliefs of other. As do the Jews.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Evangelicals aren't the majority of Christians, but they make up the largest Christian group in the United States:

According to a Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life study, Evangelicals can be broadly divided into three camps: traditionalist, centrist, and modernist.[127] A 2004 Pew survey identified Evangelicals as 26.3 percent of the population, while Catholics make up 22 percent and mainline Protestants make up 16 percent.[128]

... and worldwide, about 1 in 8 Christians are Evangelicals:

According to a 2011 Pew Forum study on global Christianity, 285,480,000 or 13.1 percent of all Christians are Evangelicals.[71] These figures do not include the Evangelical movements Pentecostalism and Charismatic movement;

Evangelicalism - Wikipedia

So the Evangelical movement is smaller than the Catholic Church, larger than the Orthodox Church, and worldwide is about on par with mainline Protestantism (though larger than mainline Protestantism in the US). All in all, Evangelicalism is firmly within the Christian mainstream.

Milton Platt

Putting the words "evangelical" and "Christianity" next to each other in a dictionary does not mean that Christianity is evangelical.

There are evangelical Christians, but they make up only a small fraction of all Christians. Christianity as a religion does promote inclusion, but not through any overtly evangelical means. Jesus was a Jew, and Judaism is not evangelical. Nor was Jesus evangelical. He was a Jew preaching to other Jews, and if anyone else was interested they were not discouraged, but not coerced, either. He never claimed that anyone needed to become a Jew, or needed become his followers (a Christian). And to this day most Christians practice a "live and let live" philosophy regarding the beliefs of other. As do the Jews.

Okay, so if the commom usage (what’s in the dictionary) is wrong, what definition are you using?

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
What part is that.....per chance ?
And what about the demons of which you speak ?
Do angels have legs, four wings or two ?
Do the little men speak garish or skittish ?
Do they all have little golden trumpets ?
And little golden swords, used in battle ?
I wish I could see one, I wish, I wish......