• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prison Experience: Life in a beautiful prison

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
The prison camp is in the dry interior of British Columbia and is surrounded by pristine mountains on three side. The views are as picturesque as things get, aside from the double fence and barbed wire. Cancel them out, and it was like being at a provincial park with million-dollar vistas.

I’m guessing the actual camp is on about 30–50 acres of land, so it is a good size place. There is one road in and while I was there, visitors were not allowed due to Covid-19 restrictions. To make up for this, staff were good enough to allow Zoom and Face Time meetings for guys to connect with loved ones.

One thing I wanted to say was that both Jim and I took on leadership positions within days of arriving at the camp. Jim had 25 years experience as a restaurant manager and was quickly made lead hand in the kitchen. The kitchen staff had a key position in our prison because the corrections officers, med staff and the inmates ate the same food -- it was that edible. The point is that Jim became a “go to” person with the staff, as he ran the kitchen under the chef, who was a hired contractor. Because I was connected at the hip to Jim, I was privy to all sorts of juicy gossip and general “head’s up” things coming down the pipeline.

There were no Machiavellian designs for Jim and me to “take over” the camp, rather, we grabbed opportunity when it presented itself and because we were responsible and reliable the staff quickly learned to trust us (well, as far as they would “trust” any inmate, of course). Ah, wait, you folks won’t likely understand this next element. You see, in prison you are your ACTIONS because your credibility has been removed via incarceration. It’s like society has rebooted your character, and you are back to zero health and mana and the task is to literally rebuild character.

Prison officials have learned to take the words of inmates with several grains of salt, as so many are damaged goods and serial liars. Hell, we were all “damaged goods” and the way back out of that self-created hole is by doing what you say you will do, following through on tasks given, not making excuses and taking responsibility when one screws up – immediately. Prison officials are specifically looking for these behavioural changes and take note when then see them manifest, but also take note when no changes are seen. That last part is what you do NOT want on your permanent record. It was endlessly surprising how many men in prison seemed unaware or didn’t care about those notes on their permanent record.

For security, there was one guard on duty at each door during meals, in the dining hall. I was assigned to position 1, at table 1, and so I talked with a guard every time I ate, and after a while got to know some of them quite well. Due to Covid-19 seating arrangements, most guys sat nowhere near a guard nor wanted to. I considered it a privilege as I learned all sorts of interesting tidbits sitting in that location.

The thing is that most inmates or "clients" did not have this kind of direct access to the staff, so both Jim and I began to accrue something akin to political capital with the staff and inmates. Jim through the kitchen and 12 Step, me with the two 12-Step programs I was running, and then a bit later in my work in Forestry. Coincidently, the work team I was accepted on in Forestry just "clicked" as we enjoyed working with each other, but more importantly, we worked very well together.

I was working in an area that required mechanical experience, whereas I have people experience. I helped the lead hand by organizing what the other guys were doing. It's “what I do” and be damned if everything just worked. Within about 3 weeks, there was a distinct bump in our output. The warden was so impressed he brought in a film crew to capture us at work. (We unanimously declined the invitation to be filmed.) This isn't all me, of course, it was about a crew working together and how quickly we could process what we were working on.

One day in late August, I was having a tizzy fit over something and dragged Jim out for a run on the jogging track. Yes, there is a track (and several fields). Jim listened to me whine and snivel for a few minutes and then got forceful to snap me out of my emotional spiral. He said, "Stop. Paul, you and I have way more juice in this place than I think you realize." (I had been complaining about how unfair something was and was giving into the sense of powerlessness.) Jim got my attention, but this guy, 20 years younger than me, says something that hit home. "Paul, we have a pretty rare opportunity to do some good here. People already approach both of us for advice and just to talk because they know we are different. We need to be examples. So, lose the attitude and ****-can the self-pity."

I don’t think I looked at incarceration the same way, after that moment.

One oddity that occurs in the life of some prisoners is the prospect of parole or early release under strict conditions. What I saw though was guys going on an emotional roller coaster, especially once their release date had been given. That is where guys really began to fray as reality did not meet their expectations.

The first time I was physically threatened was by a young man who was already cleared for parole the following week. (Let that sink in for a bit.) We each had caseworkers and my worker happened to call me about an hour after the altercation, and so I told him what had happened and that any videotape would back my side of the story. My worker was a very large South Asian man, in peak physical shape and about 35 years old. Chillingly, when I told him about this fellow, he said quite quietly, “If he lays a finger on you, we will **** him up.” I thanked him and then insisted I didn’t want anything to happen to the fellow, but to perhaps keep an eye on him until he was to leave. (Nothing did come of this, but I did make sure to have someone with me if I was out walking at night. To hear the guard flat out say that. Wow, just wow. Weirdly, it didn’t make me feel any safer.)

In some respects, I got very lucky, both that time and one other where I was threatened by yet another young inmate. Both instances were scary for me, as I’m not used to that kind of interpersonal interaction. The point is, in both cases, they just as easily could have just hauled off and belted me, so, at least they had the courtesy to show me they were unhappy campers instead.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
The second fellow who threatened me was a very good-looking 26-year-old white kid, with an attitude from hell. He was also a real character with no short supply of charisma. He was a likeable jerk and at times could be quite pleasant, though that was unusual. (A budding psychopath, perhaps?) Mr. Clark was “beaking off” one afternoon when I was “up top” in Forestry, and the guys were killing themselves laughing about it before dinner. This striking young man had announced that he was the least gay man in the entire camp. He was essentially claiming to be more manly than another other guy there, officers included. (Trust me, this gets better!)

Keep that last part in mind, OK. Stay with me here. During my time in prison, I virtually never saw another man naked, even in the shower area. If they were like me, I was in and out of the shower so fast that the water had barely hit the ground by the time I was drying off and dressing. So, you can imagine my surprise when I walked in the bathroom one day and there is Mr. Clark standing buck naked, butt to the door, ever so slowly drying his hair. I let out an involuntary, “Good lord!” He never hurried or moved to get dressed before I was finished and left the bathroom.

Now, the odd part. This was to happen at least three more times, maybe four, over the next few months. To be fair, he never turned around, but he knew full well someone else was in the room. I never saw anyone else undressed except this kid, who obviously had some kind of exhibitionist tendencies – but in an all-male camp? LOL. Um, this behaviour from the straightest guy in the camp? The things one learns. The things one learns.

Btw, it was an open secret that I was gay, as I had been very open in the 12-Step meetings. Being gay was simply not an issue for me in prison, which brings me to the end of this part and the segue to the next.

In all prison bathrooms I entered, there are condoms and packets of lube. I first took this to mean that sex was “open season” but quickly found out a weird wrinkle. If one is caught engaging in sexual activity, either alone or with another inmate, one can be charged with a sexual offence. The authorities take this very seriously due to the possibility of bullying and/or coercion. But why put out bait?

Last edited:

Riders

I read 3 quarters of it. Still no mention of why you were there and how long. It's all I threshing though.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I read 3 quarters of it. Still no mention of why you were there and how long. It's all I threshing though.

Does it matter? I mean, it's not like we're in the yard and he has to show us his paperwork.

RF rules prevent him from saying what he did that was illegal.

Well guys, I can't go into detail but suffice it to say that when we tell you you can only check 3 DIRS? We mean it. ;)

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Hiya, @Riders This is the third part of my adventures. I answer some of your questions in the other parts.

Part 1: Prison experiences
Part 2: Prison Experience: Transfer Day

I know I am a windy old coot, but I hope you enjoyed my story.
In one group I took part in, we were asked to submit an autobiography of 50–150 pages. Mine clocked in at 600+ pages.
Ok, I have a thing for writing...

And since you asked, I was sentenced to 8 months, and served 5-1/4 months. I will not be discussing the activities that brought the herd of nice RCMP officers to my door. :)

Viker

Häxan
Hiya, @Riders This is the 3 part of my adventures. I answer some of your questions in the other parts.

In one group I took part in, we were asked to submit an autobiography of 50–150 pages. Mine clocked in at 600+ pages.
Ok, I have a thing for writing... :)
600? You didn't have to write a book. LoL

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I can relate....

In 7th grade, we had to write a 3 page paper for our classmates to read. I wrote 27 pages.

And while the initial reaction of the first kid that read it was "oh no!", they were soon hooked, and then there were requests for it...

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
600? You didn't have to write a book. LoL
The head therapist told me that the hardest part of preparing my $3500 report for the courts was that I had given so much information that it was very hard for them to decide what to include and what to leave out.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I can relate....

In 7th grade, we had to write a 3 page paper for our classmates to read. I wrote 27 pages.

And while the initial reaction of the first kid that read it was "oh no!", they were soon hooked, and then there were requests for it...
In all seriousness, @JustGeorge it came out in therapy that my case is a bit unique in that people generally cannot express themselves quite as clearly as I am often able to do. OMG. I just remembered.

When I first got into "group", I was quickly labelled as a "storyteller". In order to break me of my habit of storytelling, it was demanded from me that any writing I did for the group had to be:

1st draft only, no corrections
Use bullet points only, no paragraphs or complete sentences.
Keep responses under 20 words.

It worked wonders.

{Edit: This was incredibly effective in helping slow down the freight train of my thinking. It forced me to focus on specific aspects I was writing about, and it helped me to be more concise.)

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Hiya, @Riders This is the third part of my adventures. I answer some of your questions in the other parts.

And since you asked, I was sentenced to 8 months, and served 5-1/4 months. I will not be discussing the activities that brought the herd of nice RCMP officers to my door. :)
**** the pigs!
In Revoltistan you’d get a medal, not prison.
(Although…our medals are made of scrap iron.)

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
In all seriousness, @JustGeorge it came out in therapy that my case is a bit unique in that people generally cannot express themselves quite as clearly as I am often able to do. OMG. I just remembered.

When I first got into "group", I was quickly labelled as a "storyteller". In order to break me of my habit of storytelling, it was demanded from me that any writing I did for the group had to be:

1st draft only, no corrections
Use bullet points only, no paragraphs or complete sentences.
Keep responses under 20 words.

It worked wonders.

{Edit: This was incredibly effective in helping slow down the freight train of my thinking. It forced me to focus on specific aspects I was writing about, and it helped me to be more concise.)
What's wrong with story telling?

I guess it can go overboard... in most cases, hearing a story can be fun. I guess some go overboard, though... if the story isn't true(and is being presented as such), or the story teller isn't giving others a chance to tell their stories(or is interrupting frequently).

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
What's wrong with story telling?

I guess it can go overboard... in most cases, hearing a story can be fun. I guess some go overboard, though... if the story isn't true(and is being presented as such), or the story teller isn't giving others a chance to tell their stories(or is interrupting frequently).
Sorry, I took me this long to see your question. In this sense, a storyteller, is not a particularly good thing due to the fact that the tendency to exaggerate and paint a rosy picture often clouds a much darker story. It's a coping mechanism learned from maladaptive thinking patterns.

To illustrate this more clearly, I would be recalling real events but would cast them in a light that would make a TV publicist blush. That last part is an example of my deep need to express things in effusive terms, which I learned from dear old mom. My mother gave the impression that exaggeration was just part of character and charm. Her motto was, "Honey, if you've got it, flaunt it." Add to this what seems to be a natural talent for writing, and the storyteller was born.

Hopefully, I wasn't too much of a "Debbie downer" with that. :)