• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prior to Bethleham Jesus

Prior Deity of Jesus

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Just wondering, but when people said to Jesus "You're the Son of God", why didn't he reply with- "Wrong, I AM God"?
Thats not what Jesus said at all.It says, At this they all said: “Are you, therefore, the Son of God?” He said to them: “You yourselves are saying that I am.”

New International Version
They all asked, "Are you then the Son of God?" He replied, "You say that I am."

New Living Translation
They all shouted, "So, are you claiming to be the Son of God?" And he replied, "You say that I am."

English Standard Version
So they all said, “Are you the Son of God, then?” And he said to them, “You say that I am.”

King James Bible
Then said they all, Art thou then the Son of God? And he said unto them, Ye say that I am.

Holman Christian Standard Bible
They all asked, "Are You, then, the Son of God?" And He said to them, "You say that I am.""

International Standard Version
Then they all asked, "Are you, then, the Son of God?" He answered them, "You said it—I AM."

NET Bible
So they all said, "Are you the Son of God, then?" He answered them, "You say that I am."

Aramaic Bible in Plain English
But all of them were saying, “You are therefore the Son of God?” Yeshua said to them, “You are saying that I AM THE LIVING GOD.”

GOD'S WORD® Translation
Then all of them said, "So you're the Son of God?" Jesus answered them, "You're right to say that I am."

Jubilee Bible 2000
Then they all said, Art thou then the Son of God? And he said unto them, Ye say that I AM.

King James 2000 Bible
Then said they all, Are you then the Son of God? And he said unto them, You say that I am.

American King James Version
Then said they all, Are you then the Son of God? And he said to them, You say that I am.

American Standard Version
And they all said, Art thou then the Son of God? And he said unto them, Ye say that I am.

Douay-Rheims Bible
Then said they all: Art thou then the Son of God? Who said: You say that I am.

Darby Bible Translation
And they all said, *Thou* then art the Son of God? And he said to them, *Ye* say that I am.

English Revised Version
And they all said, Art thou then the Son of God? And he said unto them, Ye say that I am.

Webster's Bible Translation
Then said they all, Art thou then the Son of God? And he said to them, Ye say that I am.

Just wondering, but when people said to Jesus "You're the Son of God", why didn't he reply with- "Wrong, I AM God"?
Jesus Before Pilate and Herod

Luke 22 66 At daybreak the council of the elders of the people, both the chief priests and the teachers of the law, met together, and Jesus was led before them. 67 “If you are the Messiah,” they said, “tell us.”

Jesus answered, “If I tell you, you will not believe me, 68 and if I asked you, you would not answer. 69 But from now on, the Son of Man will be seated at the right hand of the mighty God.”

70 They all asked, “Are you then the Son of God?”

He replied, “You say that I am.”

71Then they said, “Why do we need any more testimony? We have heard it from his own lips.”

Shuttlecraft

.Navigator
Thats not what Jesus said at all.It says, At this they all said: “Are you, therefore, the Son of God?” He said to them: “You yourselves are saying that I am.”

First let me say I don't think Jesus really cares if we think he was God or the Son of God..:)
But there are a whole truckload of verses in which he makes it perfectly clear he wasn't God, but only a relatively few verses like the one you quote which might or might not indicate he was God himself.

Here are two particularly strong verses that clearly indicate he was the Son of God-

"He asked his disciples, “Who do people say the Son of Man is?”
They replied, “Some say John the Baptist; others say Elijah; and still others, Jeremiah or one of the prophets.”
“But what about you?” he asked. “Who do you say I am?”
Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.”
Jesus replied, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by flesh and blood, but by my Father in heaven." (Matt 13:16/17)

Jesus said to Martha-"whoever lives by believing in me will never die. Do you believe this?”
“Yes, Lord,” she replied, “I believe that you are the Messiah, the Son of God, who is to come into the world” (John 11:26/27)

You see, Martha and Simon Peter both told him to his face that he was the Son of God, but he never said "Wrong, I AM God"!

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
New International Version
They all asked, "Are you then the Son of God?" He replied, "You say that I am."

New Living Translation
They all shouted, "So, are you claiming to be the Son of God?" And he replied, "You say that I am."

English Standard Version
So they all said, “Are you the Son of God, then?” And he said to them, “You say that I am.”

King James Bible
Then said they all, Art thou then the Son of God? And he said unto them, Ye say that I am.

Holman Christian Standard Bible
They all asked, "Are You, then, the Son of God?" And He said to them, "You say that I am.""

International Standard Version
Then they all asked, "Are you, then, the Son of God?" He answered them, "You said it—I AM."

NET Bible
So they all said, "Are you the Son of God, then?" He answered them, "You say that I am."

Aramaic Bible in Plain English
But all of them were saying, “You are therefore the Son of God?” Yeshua said to them, “You are saying that I AM THE LIVING GOD.”

GOD'S WORD® Translation
Then all of them said, "So you're the Son of God?" Jesus answered them, "You're right to say that I am."

Jubilee Bible 2000
Then they all said, Art thou then the Son of God? And he said unto them, Ye say that I AM.

King James 2000 Bible
Then said they all, Are you then the Son of God? And he said unto them, You say that I am.

American King James Version
Then said they all, Are you then the Son of God? And he said to them, You say that I am.

American Standard Version

Douay-Rheims Bible
Then said they all: Art thou then the Son of God? Who said: You say that I am.

Darby Bible Translation
And they all said, *Thou* then art the Son of God? And he said to them, *Ye* say that I am.

English Revised Version

Webster's Bible Translation
Then said they all, Art thou then the Son of God? And he said to them, Ye say that I am.

I'm not sure of the relevance of these verses, however we are faced with either 'trinity' idea, or 'unity' idea, or Jesus as merely a man. There is no evidence that Jesus is 'merely a man', that has never been the belief of any majority of Xians. There were some who believed this, however most have always viewed Jesus as Deity.
'Son of God'= Deity
''Manifestation of God'= Deity
'Son of God in man form, God in Spirit form= Deity.

I'm not sure of the relevance of these verses, however we are faced with either 'trinity' idea, or 'unity' idea, or Jesus as merely a man. There is no evidence that Jesus is 'merely a man', that has never been the belief of any majority of Xians. There were some who believed this, however most have always viewed Jesus as Deity.
'Son of God'= Deity
''Manifestation of God'= Deity
'Son of God in man form, God in Spirit form= Deity.
Well Jesus bled and died.Men die.God cannot die.It was God who raised Jesus Christ from the dead.Jesus did not raise himself.

Last edited:
First let me say I don't think Jesus really cares if we think he was God or the Son of God..:)
But there are a whole truckload of verses in which he makes it perfectly clear he wasn't God, but only a relatively few verses like the one you quote which might or might not indicate he was God himself.

Here are two particularly strong verses that clearly indicate he was the Son of God-

"He asked his disciples, “Who do people say the Son of Man is?”
They replied, “Some say John the Baptist; others say Elijah; and still others, Jeremiah or one of the prophets.”
“But what about you?” he asked. “Who do you say I am?”
Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.”
Jesus replied, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by flesh and blood, but by my Father in heaven." (Matt 13:16/17)

Jesus said to Martha-"whoever lives by believing in me will never die. Do you believe this?”
“Yes, Lord,” she replied, “I believe that you are the Messiah, the Son of God, who is to come into the world” (John 11:26/27)

You see, Martha and Simon Peter both told him to his face that he was the Son of God, but he never said "Wrong, I AM God"!
I ma fully aware that Jesus is the Son of God.You confuse me very much.You speak as if you agree that Jesus is the Son of God,but then you say things like,"Just wondering, but when people said to Jesus "You're the Son of God", why didn't he reply with- "Wrong, I AM God"?"

Also,you said,"First let me say I don't think Jesus really cares if we think he was God or the Son of God.."

Of course Jesus cares! Why would Jesus want people to think that he is God if it is not true? Its called the truth for a reason.You seem confused about a few things still.

Shuttlecraft

.Navigator
..You seem confused about a few things still.

Well I admit the rules of baseball and American Football are a mystery to me, but this verse seems to make it perfectly clear that Jesus was not God-

"..Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.”

See, God revealed to Peter that Jesus was his SON, so you'd better argue it out with God when you meet him..:)

Well I admit the rules of baseball and American Football are a mystery to me, but this verse seems to make it perfectly clear that Jesus was not God-

"..Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.”

See, God revealed to Peter that Jesus was his SON, so you'd better argue it out with God when you meet him..:)
I already know that Jesus is the Son of God.What are you debating about?

Sleeppy

Fatalist. Christian. Pacifist.
Well Jesus bled and died.Men die.God cannot die.It was God who raised Jesus Christ from the dead.Jesus did not raise himself.

John 10
`Because of this doth the Father love me, because I lay down my life, that again I may take it; no one doth take it from me, but I lay it down of myself; authority I have to lay it down, and authority I have again to take it; this command I received from my Father.'

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I lay it down of myself; authority I have to lay it down, and authority I have again to take it...
Sounds pretty much like someone who was divine might say. :yes: Who, other than a divine being, would have the power to take up his own life again after having died?

John 10
`Because of this doth the Father love me, because I lay down my life, that again I may take it; no one doth take it from me, but I lay it down of myself; authority I have to lay it down, and authority I have again to take it; this command I received from my Father.'
Yes,that command he received from His Father.Jesus is not God.God is commanded by no one.That's why He is the Almighty.