• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prime Minister Tony Blair on America

PHOTOTAKER

i got this in an email from a freind i don't know too much about the statment...

Tony Blair statement;

In case we find ourselves starting to believe all the anti-American sentiment and negativity, we should remember

England's Prime Minister Tony Blair's words during a recent interview. When asked by one of his Parliament members why he believes so much in America, he said:

"A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in . And how many want out."

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:

1. Jesus Christ
2. The American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

YOU MIGHT WANT TO PASS THIS ON,
AS MANY SEEM TO FORGET BOTH OF THEM.

!Fluffy!

Lacking Common Sense
PHOTOTAKER said:
i got this in an email from a freind i don't know too much about the statment...

Some of the reasons I respect and admire the man so much: he's straightforward and often seems to be the quiet voice of reason in a sea of propagandic madness.

God bless Tony Blair!

PHOTOTAKER

Moon Woman said:
Some of the reasons I respect and admire the man so much: he's straightforward and often seems to be the quiet voice of reason in a sea of propagandic madness.

God bless Tony Blair!

he is a really good person and i have some great respect for him...

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
http://www.snopes.com/politics/quotes/blair.asp

Claim: UK Prime Minister Tony Blair said: "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in and how many want out."

• Blair uttered (at least a version of) the quote now attributed to him: True.
  • Blair was the first person to do so: False.
Example: [FONT=Trebuchet MS,Bookman Old Style,Arial][Collected on the Internet, 2006][/FONT]

The Measure of a Country

In case we find ourselves starting to believe all the anti-American sentiment and negativity about our government and its policies, we should remember Tony Blair's words to his own people.

During a recent interview Prime Minister Tony Blair of Great Britain was quoted giving the following answer to one his parliament members as to why he believes so much in America and its President. And does he think they are on the right track?

Blair's reply — "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at ... how many want in ... and how many want to get out."

Variations: In October 2006 a variation composed of the basic e-mail with this following bit of text tacked onto the end of it began appearing in the snopes.com inbox: Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:

1. Jesus Christ
2. The American G. I.

The addendum about Jesus Christ and American G.I.s was the work of an unknown Internet forwarder who was moved to pen that bit — Prime Minister Blair never voiced any version of it.

darkpenguin

Charismatic Enigma
Moon Woman said:

God bless Tony Blair!
your kidding right? please tell me your kidding? The man couldn't answer a question straight even if you hooked him up to a lie detector! it says alot when his own country doesn't want him to be leader anymore!

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
darkpenguin said:
your kidding right? please tell me your kidding? The man couldn't answer a question straight even if you hooked him up to a lie detector! it says alot when his own country doesn't want him to be leader anymore!

I get the impression that our cousins across the pond don't get to see the real Blair quite so much as we do. If they did they wouldn't have such a rosy view of him. Even the ones who hate Bush often seem to like Blair, which is a complete mystery to me. I can only assume that US media must flatter him rather more than ours does.

James

darkpenguin

Charismatic Enigma
JamesThePersian said:
I get the impression that our cousins across the pond don't get to see the real Blair quite so much as we do. If they did they wouldn't have such a rosy view of him. Even the ones who hate Bush often seem to like Blair, which is a complete mystery to me. I can only assume that US media must flatter him rather more than ours does.

James

I guess so, don't get me wrong i like labour but i don't like what blair has turned the party into (pretty much a circus), and i think our news stations here have more time for real news insted of hurrying along to celeb news (because everyone knows thats all the people want... not), I can't fathom why americans warm to bush's mute cousin when it was both he and bush who entered into the illegal war on iraq and seem to think they have the right to start world policing on their own!

Capt. Haddock

Evil Mouse
somebody other than Tony Blair said:

1. Jesus Christ
2. The American G. I.

Let's first be clear that Mr. Blair never said this. He would have been laughed out of Britain if he had.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Capt. Haddock said:
Let's first be clear that Mr. Blair never said this. He would have been laughed out of Britain if he had.
See last line, post #7

Mike182

Flaming Queer
Moon Woman said:
he's straightforward and often seems to be the quiet voice of reason in a sea of propagandic madness.

God bless Tony Blair!

that's not quite my personal oppinion of him, i think James may be right about American press not taking off the rosey spectacles here... voice of reason? he made a practising member of Opus Dei the minister for equality :sarcastic

of course Tony didn't say what is quoted to him, although he is Christian i don't think i have ever heard him refer to his beliefs in his public speaches, he would indeed be laughed out of Britain like Cpt. Haddock says.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
PHOTOTAKER's friend's e-mail said:

1. Jesus Christ
2. The American G. I.
Is this referring to us or the Americans?
Because it makes no sense - American soldiers did die in WW2 to help keep Britain free, that's very true, but so did our own soldiers, Canadian, Indian, Australian, South African and many other soldiers from all over the Commonwealth.

Is this referring to us or the Americans?
Because it makes no sense - American soldiers did die in WW2 to help keep Britain free, that's very true, but so did our own soldiers, Canadian, Indian, Australian, South African and many other soldiers from all over the Commonwealth.

More American soliders died than all of your commonwealths put together and more soliders died than all of the british soliders that did. Give credit where credits due. Our ancestors have bled on the battlefield together. We don't expect you to do things because we expect your support, but most of europe that we re built and liberated along with GB have turned their backs completely on the US. Its amazing how soon things are forgotten.

!Fluffy!

Lacking Common Sense
darkpenguin said:

Hey dp, I know it's comfy to be in the embrace of popular opinion, while swaddled in the warm glow of the MSM's made for tv canned opinions. I don't exactly find it completley respectable though.

Blair has the courage of his convictions and unlike a lot of his countrymen, doesn't have a problem with stepping out of the comfort zone to say what's what.

You're right about one thing. It does say a lot when his own country doesn't want him to be leader anymore. It says a lot about his own country.

/JUST MY OPINION

!Fluffy!

Lacking Common Sense
ALifetimeToWaitFor.... said:
More American soliders died than all of your commonwealths put together and more soliders died than all of the british soliders that did. Give credit where credits due. Our ancestors have bled on the battlefield together. We don't expect you to do things because we expect your support, but most of europe that we re built and liberated along with GB have turned their backs completely on the US. Its amazing how soon things are forgotten.

I admire your passion. Frubals for embracing an unpopular pov (with gusto!)
:clap:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
ALifetimeToWaitFor.... said:

It is not as if the US wasn't in the war to protect its own interests, too.

!Fluffy!

Lacking Common Sense
Sunstone said:
It is not as if the US wasn't in the war to protect its own interests, too.

Respectfully, so what? America has a moral right to support its own interests. If those happen to interesect with helping our allies or others the loss of life is no less precious or valuable. The blood is no less red.