• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prime Minister Historic Debate

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist
Does anybody know where I can get the historic three-way debate between Prime Minister Brown, Opposition Leader Cameron and Nick Clegg? I need to see this. It should be so freaking awesome. :D

I am American, so some videos on the BBC website do not work for me.

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist
I know! I found it on Youtube last night. Thanks for the help, though. :yes:

I tend to favour the Labour Party, though, admittedly I am still a novice to British Politics. At least Prime Minister Brown took economic stabilization policies to keep the unemployment relatively low. I am going to try to read through the Conservative, Labour and Liberal Democrat manifestos so that I can understand what issues they are debating. I will definitely let you know what I think about each speaker/party.

Aquitaine

Does anybody know where I can get the historic three-way debate between Prime Minister Brown, Opposition Leader Cameron and Nick Clegg? I need to see this. It should be so freaking awesome. :D

I am American, so some videos on the BBC website do not work for me.

It's funny you say that because very recently I became more interested in watching the American 2008 Presidential debates as a Brit xD

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist

It's funny you say that because very recently I became more interested in watching the American 2008 Presidential debates as a Brit xD

Your politicians are so much more dynamic than ours. Prime Minister Brown must debate publically every Wednesday with the leader of the opposition and members of the opposition party. That is my dream for the American system of Government.

Octavia156

OTO/EGC
I know! I found it on Youtube last night. Thanks for the help, though. :yes:

I tend to favour the Labour Party, though, admittedly I am still a novice to British Politics. At least Prime Minister Brown took economic stabilization policies to keep the unemployment relatively low. I am going to try to read through the Conservative, Labour and Liberal Democrat manifestos so that I can understand what issues they are debating. I will definitely let you know what I think about each speaker/party.

check this site: Vote for Policies - Vote for policies, not personalities!

Mike182

Flaming Queer
Your politicians are so much more dynamic than ours. Prime Minister Brown must debate publically every Wednesday with the leader of the opposition and members of the opposition party. That is my dream for the American system of Government.

A lot of it is mud slinging rhetoric and very repetitive, but things are eventually resolved. That said, it does add an element of accountability, and quickens the political suicides of the fickle.

While I like that Brown is putting forwards more economic stabilisation policies to keep unemployment low, it's long over due. His 1% National Insurance rise will also kill our public health sector.

Clegg's current big issue is over electoral reforms, quite rightly so he is refusing a coalition government with Brown, though I'm surprised he is open to a coalition government with Labour on condition of a change of leadership. He's right, the political party that comes third behind two others should not be able to hold claim to the country's Prime Minister, and a hung parliament could allow him to do that in it's current procedures. Clegg is currently victim of campaigns from Labour saying "Vote Clegg, get Cameron" and from Tory saying "vote Clegg, get Brown", when all Clegg is saying is "vote for who you vote for, the party with the most seats is the most representative and should provide the PM". That only makes sense in my mind.

Octavia156

OTO/EGC
I agree all the parties concerned seem only to complain about all the other parties and instead of telling us that the situation is dire each of them is truly afraid to tell the truth about what they would have to do after the election.

I think Cameron is the only way forward.

We need decisive action.

I'd like to see a Cameron majority with Lib Dem main opposition.

We can't lose Trident, and we can't have a Job tax.

For now, we need to sack all of Labour's bureaucrats, tighten up our boarders and keep our independence in Europe. This is the way forward.

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist
A lot of it is mud slinging rhetoric and very repetitive, but things are eventually resolved. That said, it does add an element of accountability, and quickens the political suicides of the fickle.

While I like that Brown is putting forwards more economic stabilisation policies to keep unemployment low, it's long over due. His 1% National Insurance rise will also kill our public health sector.

Clegg's current big issue is over electoral reforms, quite rightly so he is refusing a coalition government with Brown, though I'm surprised he is open to a coalition government with Labour on condition of a change of leadership. He's right, the political party that comes third behind two others should not be able to hold claim to the country's Prime Minister, and a hung parliament could allow him to do that in it's current procedures. Clegg is currently victim of campaigns from Labour saying "Vote Clegg, get Cameron" and from Tory saying "vote Clegg, get Brown", when all Clegg is saying is "vote for who you vote for, the party with the most seats is the most representative and should provide the PM". That only makes sense in my mind.

Labour may have had a bad record, but the Conservative rhetoric reminds me too much of my country's Republican party. I wouldn't mind seeing a Liberal Democratic victory.

Who is more left-wing with economic isssues, in your opinion? Labour or Liberal Democrats?

Octavia156

OTO/EGC
Labour may have had a bad record, but the Conservative rhetoric reminds me too much of my country's Republican party. I wouldn't mind seeing a Liberal Democratic victory.

Who is more left-wing with economic isssues, in your opinion? Labour or Liberal Democrats?

Labour is not left wing at all.

It does give a lot of welfare... but its fcuked up.

Over here it is more profitable to be a single mother than than to live with your partner....
You can make more on unemployment benefit than if you had a minimum wage job....

So the people that are benefitting the most are the unemployed and the single mums. Which is fine on many levels. Especially for mums (although many many many women are abusing this system)

Who is suffering?
Pensioners. Who get less than the unemployed (having paid taxes all their lives).
The blue collar workers. Those people on low income jobs suffer the most. They have to pay the highest taxes and get no benefits.
If you are honest and hardworking in a low income job over here, you are worst off under labours current poilcy.

And....

Since coming into office Brown has created 10,000s of highly paid jobs within government The tax payer (those low income workers) are footing the bills for these highly paid and UNECESSARY jobs.

Please don't be fooled into thinking that New LAbour is in any way Left-wing. :no:

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist
Labour is not left wing at all.

It does give a lot of welfare... but its fcuked up.

Over here it is more profitable to be a single mother than than to live with your partner....
You can make more on unemployment benefit than if you had a minimum wage job....

So the people that are benefitting the most are the unemployed and the single mums. Which is fine on many levels. Especially for mums (although many many many women are abusing this system)

Who is suffering?
Pensioners. Who get less than the unemployed (having paid taxes all their lives).
The blue collar workers. Those people on low income jobs suffer the most. They have to pay the highest taxes and get no benefits.
If you are honest and hardworking in a low income job over here, you are worst off under labours current poilcy.

And....

Since coming into office Brown has created 10,000s of highly paid jobs within government The tax payer (those low income workers) are footing the bills for these highly paid and UNECESSARY jobs.

Please don't be fooled into thinking that New LAbour is in any way Left-wing. :no:

According to the Labour Manifesto, a new Labour parliament would make those on unemployment work after 2-years.

Mike182

Flaming Queer

Lib Dems, in my opinion. The bulk of Clegg's policies at least refer to, if not delegate entirely to, local government. This means more choice for the people, and money goes to where it is locally needed. Local governments are a resource not often used by Labour or Tory, who tend to favour the uniform, nationalistic picture of policy and nation wide statistics, ignoring indiscretions between counties.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
According to the Labour Manifesto, a new Labour parliament would make those on unemployment work after 2-years.

I don't like that people will be 'made' to work, that sounds a bit dodgy. The only incentive the government can give to 'make' people work is the ultimatum of 'work or loose you state income', very right wing.

It's a promise Brown can't keep anyway, we all know it, there are not going to be enough jobs available. What will happen is if Labour gets in, Brown will tell us all in 2 years time that his 2 year deadline needs to be extended to 4 years. Then, come the next general election, he'll hope we've all forgotten about that, and tell us that his government has decreased unemployment.

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist
I don't like that people will be 'made' to work, that sounds a bit dodgy. The only incentive the government can give to 'make' people work is the ultimatum of 'work or loose you state income', very right wing.

It's a promise Brown can't keep anyway, we all know it, there are not going to be enough jobs available. What will happen is if Labour gets in, Brown will tell us all in 2 years time that his 2 year deadline needs to be extended to 4 years. Then, come the next general election, he'll hope we've all forgotten about that, and tell us that his government has decreased unemployment.

Well, it's not you find yourself a job in two-years or you are off unemployment benefits. I believe the plan calls for you to work in government sponsored community service programs after two years, if you wish to maintain your unemployment benefits, which is a reasonable and good plan.

However, I have only started paying attention to UK politics since the end of 2009, so I have no experience with Labour, Conservative and Liberal as a personality.

Octavia156

OTO/EGC

2 years!

Yes, he did say if people didn't take jobs they be 'forced to work'. How is he doing to force them exactly? Put a gun to their head?

Where's he going to find these jobs?

Brown has caused record Youth unemployment... and he's unfair to people who do work hard.

You are better off scronging off the system... and then when you retire you get free elderly care, whilst those who have worked have to sell their homes to pay for it, yet the pension is the same.

This is so wrong :(

Please please don't forget how much this Labour government has lied to us over the past 13 yrs :sad4:

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist
2 years!

Yes, he did say if people didn't take jobs they be 'forced to work'. How is he doing to force them exactly? Put a gun to their head?

Where's he going to find these jobs?

Brown has caused record Youth unemployment... and he's unfair to people who do work hard.

You are better off scronging off the system... and then when you retire you get free elderly care, whilst those who have worked have to sell their homes to pay for it, yet the pension is the same.

This is so wrong :(

Please please don't forget how much this Labour government has lied to us over the past 13 yrs :sad4:

I think I answered this in my last post: "I believe the plan calls for you to work in government sponsored community service programs after two years, if you wish to maintain your unemployment benefits, which is a reasonable and good plan. "

Mike182

Flaming Queer
Well, it's not you find yourself a job in two-years or you are off unemployment benefits. I believe the plan calls for you to work in government sponsored community service programs after two years, if you wish to maintain your unemployment benefits, which is a reasonable and good plan.

However, I have only started paying attention to UK politics since the end of 2009, so I have no experience with Labour, Conservative and Liberal as a personality.

While community projects are good, lets not confuse them for actual employment. Brown thinks he can.

Octavia156

OTO/EGC
I think I answered this in my last post: "I believe the plan calls for you to work in government sponsored community service programs after two years, if you wish to maintain your unemployment benefits, which is a reasonable and good plan. "

Can I just highlight to you - that government sponsored community service programs stil means the taxpayer is subsidising the person.
This is Labours problem - they create (and have created thousands of) jobs to bring unemployment down, but the wages are still coming straight out the taxpayers pocket, we subsidise all government jobs!

In order to increase employment you have to stimulate businesses to start up and employ people. That way the taxpayer is not paying the wages they are coming from the profits of the business. DC wants to offer tax breaks to businesses on the first 10 employees they hire. This is a much more sensible and sustainable way of stimulating employment than claiming you are going to be able to provide government funded initatives to tackle the problem 2 yrs from now.

Labour have spouted hundreds of liners like that one Darkness, and they rarely eve materialise.

One of the main things they promised in their 1997 election campaign was a referendum on political reform. Yet 3 weeks ago they officially announced that this idea was now entering what the call the 'wash' which is a term used to describe policies that won't get through parliament before the general election.

13 yrs they had to fulfill that big promise, and they didn't deliver. What make anyone think they will keep any of their promises this time?

:shrug: