• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pride parade cancelled in Norway after gay club shooting

danieldemol

Premium Member
Its good that the pride parade organisers of Norway put the safety of parade goers first, but a shame that they were forced to shut down the parade due to safety concerns in the wake of a shooting that killed two people at a popular club in Oslo with the LGBTQ community

"Police said the attack was being investigated as an act of terrorism.

...police spokesman Tore Barstad said...

...the motive was not immediately known and it wasn't clear whether the shooting had any connection to the Pride parade.'

Source: Norway Pride parade cancelled after two people are killed in gay nightclub shooting

In my opinion.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Why is it being investigated as “terrorism”?
At this moment in time i am not sure why they put it as terror, but as far as what Norwegian news papers say, it has to do with the killer being Iranian-Norwegian. They want to know if it was religious connections behind the action.
The killer was a holder of Norwegian citizenship.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I was supposed to be at the pride parade today, so I was in Oslo just at the moment the cancelation happend. I spoke with a lot of the LGBTQ community and everyone was scared. So in a way they understood why it was canceled. Due to their safety

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
More innocent people killed in another terrorist attack,the police say is being treated as an “extreme act of islamist terrorism’apparently the police were aware of his radicalisation (I’m sure I’ve heard that on other attacks too),he is also said to have a mental condition.

A march did go ahead which was the right reaction with chants of “We're here, we're queer, we won't disappear!".

Oslo shooting: Norway attack being treated as Islamist terrorism, police say

Suave

Simulated character
Why is it being investigated as “terrorism”?
Norway's maximum prison sentence is 21 years, but this may be extended if the offender having completed his prison sentence is legally considered as still being a threat to society..
I suppose if the murderer can be linked to terrorism, then his maximum prison sentence may perhaps be more easily extended if need be. However, Norway's criminal justice system is so well focused on rehabilitating their inmates, Norway has a very low rate of recidivism. I'd expect most anybody having served 21 years in a Norwegian correctional facility would very likely be instilled with a sense of common human decency and he'd very likely be well conditioned to behave as civilly as humanly possible.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
Maybe, but they do have radical Christians there too. Remember the 2011 shooter?
Breivik is no Christian. He said he worships Odin.

From Wikipedia:
"His religious faith has later been described as being Odinism. While Breivik was frequently described as a "Christian fundamentalist", such assertion was disputed in a number of sources, and Breivik denied it, saying in letters to Norwegian newspaper Dagen that he "is not, and has never been a Christian", and that he thinks there are few things in the world more "pathetic" than "the Jesus-figure and his message". He said he prays and sacrifices to Odin, and identifies his religion as Odinism."

Neo-Nazis these days don't tend to be Christians.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Breivik is no Christian. He said he worships Odin.

From Wikipedia:
"His religious faith has later been described as being Odinism. While Breivik was frequently described as a "Christian fundamentalist", such assertion was disputed in a number of sources, and Breivik denied it, saying in letters to Norwegian newspaper Dagen that he "is not, and has never been a Christian", and that he thinks there are few things in the world more "pathetic" than "the Jesus-figure and his message". He said he prays and sacrifices to Odin, and identifies his religion as Odinism."

I have seen info where he says he is Christian. It's so hard to know real facts anymore.