• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Present arguments for atheism

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Which god? Are you limited to a certain deity? I mean, someone says ''god'', who knows what they mean; As with with the label 'christian', it has no meaning without context.
Its just that the word God alone brings up a slew of thoughts and concepts like you elaborated just here.

Atheism tends to be pretty cut and dried as it is, unlike agnosticism. (Hence where God walks in the door) ;0)

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
there is no evidence for god, no need for god, and nothing suggest god .

i often say im agnostic about a god atheist about your god .

the reason i reject the christian god is different from the reason i reject the mystics or deist god .

some ideas of god are factually false , some unnecessary , some meaningless , some i prƀprobably have not considered .

it boils down to there is no evidence for god, no need for god, and nothing suggest god .

beyond that i need more detail from you . imo the op is a trap.

Deidre

Why is that?
It's just on average, the 'burden' for the person who has something to prove, to prove that...and not the other way around. How do you prove a negative? How does one prove God doesn't exist? But, likewise, I can't prove He does, except to say that I have had an experience of faith recently...of the Holy Spirit. But, it can't be tested, etc...it can't be ''proven.''

That's what I meant by my comment. lol :)

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Present your argument for atheism.
Just playing devils advocate ...

The obvious lacking of verifiable evidence that the existence of God is a reasonable assumption to make.

Also, the reliance of theists on logically flawed arguments ... namely arguments based on the present ignorance of science.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
It's just on average, the 'burden' for the person who has something to prove, to prove that...and not the other way around. How do you prove a negative? How does one prove God doesn't exist? But, likewise, I can't prove He does, except to say that I have had an experience of faith recently...of the Holy Spirit. But, it can't be tested, etc...it can't be ''proven.''

That's what I meant by my comment. lol :)
Why would I /specifically, the theist position/ have something to prove, and, why would a theist, take that/your, position?

Last edited:

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
So the sun is evidence of a flaming chariot crossing the sky, and earthquakes are dragons stirring underground?
Just because a phenomenon isn't yet understood isn't evidence for the various myths concerning it.
Note that religion doesn't explain life either -- it just asserts the existence of a magical agent that poofed it into being.

HekaMa'atRa

So the sun is evidence of a flaming chariot crossing the sky, and earthquakes are dragons stirring underground?
Just because a phenomenon isn't yet understood isn't evidence for the various myths concerning it.
Note that religion doesn't explain life either -- it just asserts the existence of a magical agent that poofed it into being.

Your examples don't apply as they're understood and observable in science. Nor did I say the mythologies found in religion explains how life truly began or are evidence for the fact. If anything, these many myths supports my one word argument for atheism, Religions, strengthening the argument that because there are thousands of religions, all religion, and therefore god, is simply manmade.

But until science can explain how life began and are able to replicate it with basic non-living components, there will always being an argument for theism.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
There is no argument for atheism. The question makes no sense.

To argue for something there must be some assertion defend. Atheism makes no assertions. There is no argument to make.

Then it obviously isn't a position. If it makes no assertions then it is meaningless.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Fool! It's obvious that promiscuous women's immodest dress causes earthquakes.
Experts have determined it.......
http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/meast/04/20/iran.promiscuity.earthquakes/

Scientific work on this continues.....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boobquake

This work also resulted in the first ever usage of the word "rheology"
(plastic flow of solid material under triaxial stress) in poetry.....

A wonderful chance to assess
releasing of tectonic stress.
Is it rheology
of the geology,
or flaunting of immodest dress?

Ultimatum

Classical Liberal
Because even with all our scientific knowledge we still cannot understand how life began

nor can we replicate life using only basic non-living components from which life supposedly sprang from.

Argument from incredulity.
What makes you assume the most primitive self-replicators during origination were the same as they as the most simple self-replicators today?

What makes you assume that the environmental conditions that were exactly right and that the exact combinations needed to make said primite self-replicator would just be able to be made up in a scientific laboratory?[/QUOTE]

Ultimatum

Classical Liberal
But until science can explain how life began and are able to replicate it with basic non-living components, there will always being an argument for theism.

The difference is that science admits, currently, that biogenesis is difficult. It is trying to find something, even if this is a vain attempt.

What theists do is actually make a claim, without trying to find something, and atheists want you to back up that claim with evidence, lest there is none.

We're in the same boat and, until you can prove that you can see dry land, we're heading in the same direction.