• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Preorder or price gouge.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I usually only buy games on sale or pre loved, but I am very tempted to preorder the new Red Dead Redemption. The first is my favourite Rockstar game, and 2 is currently 69$. (For reference, the new God of War is still 79-89$)

I don't like that it has a locked mission on the preorder, potentially story based. I think that's greedy even for a preorder exclusive.
But damnit preorders here are usually like over 100 bucks. And I wants it lol

But what do you think of preorders? Waste of money? Scam?
Do you have any preorder games? Regret any preorder purchases?

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.
I usually only buy games on sale or pre loved, but I am very tempted to preorder the new Red Dead Redemption. The first is my favourite Rockstar game, and 2 is currently 69$. (For reference, the new God of War is still 79-89$)

I don't like that it has a locked mission on the preorder, potentially story based. I think that's greedy even for a preorder exclusive.

Hello. I guess I am showing my age here but I am curious about the phenomenon of video games. May I ask what you get out of them? Just curious; they seem like a huge waste of time. Is it escape? Perhaps games have taken the place of books in that regard? Sorry, not trying to derail the thread.

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
Hello. I guess I am showing my age here but I am curious about the phenomenon of video games. May I ask what you get out of them? Just curious; they seem like a huge waste of time. Is it escape? Perhaps games have taken the place of books in that regard? Sorry, not trying to derail the thread.
Like books, you get to experience a large cast of characters, a new world to explore, a story to be engaged in, and in some games even be the protagonist. I play games for fun :D

Gaming marketing has been increasingly greedy with all these micro transactions and such. But it's your decision to get the game. Personally, one locked mission wouldn't make me pre-order it if i was low on money.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Gaming marketing has been increasingly greedy with all these micro transactions and such. But it's your decision to get the game. Personally, one locked mission wouldn't make me pre-order it if i was low on money.
I agree out of all entertainment mediums the games industry is the most greedy. Even Hollywood look like charitable saints in comparison lol
My self imposed rule is pay all bills and food first. Anything left over is purely for my indulgence. And I can afford this particular preorder quite easily :D

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
All good.
Games are about as much of a waste of time as any medium really. Movies, books and TV.
A video game offers entertainment, escapism, storytelling possibilities not possible in other mediums.
A chance of full immersion and extra potential for artistic expression even. The limits are endless, though expensive LOL

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
I agree out of all entertainment mediums the games industry is the most greedy. Even Hollywood look like charitable saints in comparison lol
My self imposed rule is pay all bills and food first. Anything left over is purely for my indulgence. And I can afford this particular preorder quite easily :D
Then go for it sister :D

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.
All good.
Games are about as much of a waste of time as any medium really. Movies, books and TV.
A video game offers entertainment, escapism, storytelling possibilities not possible in other mediums.
A chance of full immersion and extra potential for artistic expression even. The limits are endless, though expensive LOL

Thanks. Yes, looks like an expensive hobby!

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Thanks. Yes, looks like an expensive hobby!

It's as expensive as you want it to be. It can be managed and budgeted for just like anything else. That said, @SomeRandom brings up an important issue about the predatory nature of marketing, which has taken hold in the video game industry significantly over the past decade. The strategies are designed to override restrained spending habits and frugality, so mindfulness is more important now than it was in the past.

With respect to pre-orders, originally they were a way to ensure a particular store had enough physical copies of a game in stock for distribution upon release. There were no extra bonuses attached with this process, it was just a way of managing inventory to give retailers and publishers an idea of how popular a game would be on launch. Within the past five years or so, there has been a tremendous increase in the sale of digital, direct downloads for games rather than physical copies... meaning the original reason for pre-ordering is less relevant. Of course, for quite a bit longer than five years ago, companies started offering pre-order "bonuses." Let's be clear here - on the whole, pre-ordering games (even if it is to ensure you get a physical copy on release day) benefits the retailers and publishers more than it benefits you as the consumer. It's a marketing gimmick.

I used to never, ever pre-order games. It's still something I do only rarely... can probably count it on one hand. I'll only pre-order from... well... Bethesda at this point. I play Elder Scrolls Online a lot, and for an online game like that there's little reason not to pre-order the major expansions (so I do). When Fallout 76 was first announced, I held off on a pre-order because I wanted more information about how the mechanics were going to operate. Once that was released and I could maintain my cautious optimism about the game, I pre-ordered so I'll have access to the beta. Playing the beta will help me finalize my decision about the game and I can cancel the order before release if needed.

Bob the Unbeliever

To me, and I've been gaming on the PC since 1981, I like the challenge of beating the game's mechanics.

I also really enjoy the slow unfolding of the story line, even if I've played it before.

A really good game? I might replay 1000s of times-- not an exaggeration.

Part is the immersion effect. Part is concentration on a single task (something I like to do, akin to losing ones self in a good book).

When replayed? I do like to mix it up with any available options within the game's mechanics. For example, QUAKE. When it came out, I played it pretty straight several hundred times. Then, I found that even on the hardest setting, I was simply too good-- so time to mix it up: Limit to a single type of weapon. Of course, that renders it impossible, as there is insufficient ammo for one type of gun. So you learn the cheat codes to "reconfigure" all ammo re-ups to be just what you need for the single type you picked. Imagine playing the entire game with a grenade launcher... I have. :D

I suppose some would say it's additive, but I say: no more than a good book, or a favorite TV series can be.

Bob the Unbeliever

I'm simply too cheap to purchase via pre-order. In fact, I'm so cheap (with respect to games) that the most I ever spent on one title? (not counting the expansion packs...) was around $40. I would patently wait until the first price-break, typically from around $60-70 to the aforementioned $40. Sometimes, I'd wait for the second break, $20, where it would typically stay for a couple of years.

However, situations change, and my PC is now a laptop--which is severely limited, game-power-wise.

So I've fallen back on what they now call Classic Games-- games created before at least 2005. Many of the best, were made in the halcyon days of the 1990s. Some of the best games ever, came from that era, and I like to reminiscence. Or pick up games I had previously missed the first time through.

A lovely aspect of Classic Gaming? They are uber cheap: I've paid as little as $1... :)

The nicer aspect of that? Is if I get a lemon-- and I have purchased lemons-- I'm not hurt in the least. Less than the price of a nice luncheon.

One of the lovely advantages of PC gaming, I suppose (as opposed to consoles, which I have sworn off).

Another advantage? I'm much older than I was in the 1990s. My physical abilities are proportionately reduced. Games I used to play on the highest possible settings-- at a whim-- I cannot play unless it's set to "medium" or for some, "easy". *sigh* Of course, I don't play endless consecutive hours, either... (for the same reasons... stamina isn't what it was).

My point? Have you tried Classic Games? These can be quite fun.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
I'm simply too cheap to purchase via pre-order. In fact, I'm so cheap (with respect to games) that the most I ever spent on one title? (not counting the expansion packs...) was around $40. I would patently wait until the first price-break, typically from around $60-70 to the aforementioned $40. Sometimes, I'd wait for the second break, $20, where it would typically stay for a couple of years.

However, situations change, and my PC is now a laptop--which is severely limited, game-power-wise.

So I've fallen back on what they now call Classic Games-- games created before at least 2005. Many of the best, were made in the halcyon days of the 1990s. Some of the best games ever, came from that era, and I like to reminiscence. Or pick up games I had previously missed the first time through.

A lovely aspect of Classic Gaming? They are uber cheap: I've paid as little as $1... :)

The nicer aspect of that? Is if I get a lemon-- and I have purchased lemons-- I'm not hurt in the least. Less than the price of a nice luncheon.

One of the lovely advantages of PC gaming, I suppose (as opposed to consoles, which I have sworn off).

Another advantage? I'm much older than I was in the 1990s. My physical abilities are proportionately reduced. Games I used to play on the highest possible settings-- at a whim-- I cannot play unless it's set to "medium" or for some, "easy". *sigh* Of course, I don't play endless consecutive hours, either... (for the same reasons... stamina isn't what it was).

My point? Have you tried Classic Games? These can be quite fun.
I grew up playing the classic games. I have a mini SNES in fact (mini N64 where are you???) They're fun, unfair difficulty spikes notwithstanding.
My first console was a PS1 and I eagerly await the Spyro reignited trilogy. 40$ is my usual limit, but Rockstar have a fairly decent reputation. Though they are getting greedy.
I dunno, maybe just this once. Just to try out the preorder experience as it were. It's not going to break the bank (for once.)
You win this round, marketing!

Flame

Beware
I generally avoid pre-orders like a the plague. Same thing with Early Access that has taken over on Steam, paying 25-45 dollars on an unfinished game seems wasteful.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

For me it's a statement of supporting a company I like. I don't generally pre-order for scummy companies that had burned and had taken advantage of their customer base. (EA, Activision, Ubisoft.)

Pre-orders are just for those companies that I trust to put out something that I would appreciate as a gamer , not feel ripped off, slighted, or have been taken advantage of, and had enjoyed their games as a product worth the asking price of which I had paid for.

As a general rule of thumb I always wait for the releases to come out and see how it was received , or had played a demo myself instead of having to watch over-hyped developer trailers and restricted demos where I'm not allowed to try it out for myself to see if I like it or not.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
For me it's a statement of supporting a company I like. I don't generally pre-order for scummy companies that had burned and had taken advantage of their customer base. (EA, Activision, Ubisoft.)

Pre-orders are just for those companies that I trust to put out something that I would appreciate as a gamer , not feel ripped off, slighted, or have been taken advantage of, and had enjoyed their games as a product worth the asking price of which I had paid for.

As a general rule of thumb I always wait for the releases to come out and see how it was received , or had played a demo myself instead of having to watch over-hyped developer trailers and restricted demos where I'm not allowed to try it out for myself to see if I like it or not.
I largely agree with you. For example The new Spider-Man game has impressed me, not only due to the actual core game, but it's general lack of scumminess. No micro transactions, no broken promises, slick production values and I think you can even eventually unlock the preorder bonuses. (Don't quote me on that though.) It's kind of refreshing to see a games studio just focus on making a solid game first and foremost. Which is kind of sad thinking about it.
Hmm

Incidentally I find it hilarious to watch companies like EA rant and rave about how microtransactions are essential to make money and how single player games are a dead market. Only to be pulverised in sales by not only single player games devoid of such things, but games on single consoles only, vs their Multiplatform games. Oh sweet karmic retribution.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Depends on what comes with it. I have several pre-orders (more from the days of PS2/XBox). Though really it's more collector's editions that I pre-order, as the pre-order DLC is typically not pre-order exclusive (I've gotten some pre-order content on rented copies).

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I largely agree with you. For example The new Spider-Man game has impressed me, not only due to the actual core game, but it's general lack of scumminess. No micro transactions, no broken promises, slick production values and I think you can even eventually unlock the preorder bonuses. (Don't quote me on that though.) It's kind of refreshing to see a games studio just focus on making a solid game first and foremost. Which is kind of sad thinking about it.
Hmm

Incidentally I find it hilarious to watch companies like EA rant and rave about how microtransactions are essential to make money and how single player games are a dead market. Only to be pulverised in sales by not only single player games devoid of such things, but games on single consoles only, vs their Multiplatform games. Oh sweet karmic retribution.
I remember EA way back in the day was a great wonderful company. Anytime I saw their logo I got excited because I knew something good was in the wings. That's obviously changed over time. In fact EA has gotten so scummy and criminalized now that it's openly willing to break Belgian law , open themselves up to prosecution because they stated they are going to break their law anyways , by keeping their loot boxes in their games.

EA Under Investigation for Breaking the Law in Belgium

They need to offer pre-orders of stocks to their investors, not the gamer as it's being made perfectly clear now their investors are the true customers of the company. And are completely willing to break the law to do it. Makes me wonder who they're going to choose as their Fall Guy to serve prison time.

Talk about an organized crime syndicate.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I remember EA way back in the day was a great wonderful company.
Me too. I remember that they got their start by basically reverse engineering games for the Genesis, and how their Genesis cartridges had a funky design to them. I remember loving a good number of their games. But now they seem incapable of putting out anything that isn't a money-grab fest disguised as a crappy game.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Depends on what comes with it. I have several pre-orders (more from the days of PS2/XBox). Though really it's more collector's editions that I pre-order, as the pre-order DLC is typically not pre-order exclusive (I've gotten some pre-order content on rented copies).
Oooh what collectors editions do you have, if you don't mind me asking? There were a few I had my eye on but out of my price range.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Oooh what collectors editions do you have, if you don't mind me asking? There were a few I had my eye on but out of my price range.
I have World of Warcraft through Mists of Pandaria; Diablo 2 and ROS; Castlevania Lords of Shadow; Record of Agarest War Zero; Oblivion; Perfect Dark Zero. That's all I can recall. I know there have been more, but they came to a trinkle with the PS3 and I haven't gotten any on the PS4.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
I remember EA way back in the day was a great wonderful company. Anytime I saw their logo I got excited because I knew something good was in the wings. That's obviously changed over time. In fact EA has gotten so scummy and criminalized now that it's openly willing to break Belgian law , open themselves up to prosecution because they stated they are going to break their law anyways , by keeping their loot boxes in their games.

EA Under Investigation for Breaking the Law in Belgium

They need to offer pre-orders of stocks to their investors, not the gamer as it's being made perfectly clear now their investors are the true customers of the company. And are completely willing to break the law to do it. Makes me wonder who they're going to choose as their Fall Guy to serve prison time.

Talk about an organized crime syndicate.
I'm worried that Rockstar might be going down that path. I mean they've always been a bit sneaky, releasing games conveniently at the end of a generation cycle and rereleasing another version on next gen consoles. (I'm still salty about the XBox 360 rerelease of San Andreas. A bit too buggy to be up to snuff with Rockstar's usual standards IMO.)
But yeah EA is basically the mafia of the gaming industry at this point. I knew they were unscrupulous but damn, they continue to sink to new lows. :(:mad: