• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Preorder or price gouge.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I have World of Warcraft through Mists of Pandaria; Diablo 2 and ROS; Castlevania Lords of Shadow; Record of Agarest War Zero; Oblivion; Perfect Dark Zero. That's all I can recall. I know there have been more, but they came to a trinkle with the PS3 and I haven't gotten any on the PS4.
Oh nice :handok:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Me too. I remember that they got their start by basically reverse engineering games for the Genesis, and how their Genesis cartridges had a funky design to them. I remember loving a good number of their games. But now they seem incapable of putting out anything that isn't a money-grab fest disguised as a crappy game.
The sad part of it is seeing all the companies that follow suit going on with the new games as a service model. Belch!!!

EA I remember used to be completely awesome. That is until they started getting hideously greedy , buying and killing off beloved franchises and their Studios, now they've gone to a new level of being criminally aloof as with the case with Belgian gambling law leaving me the question is how far will this company go now that a countries law doesn't matter to them?

I still play the Retro EA games for posterity and guess what, its still loads of fun. No microtransactions, no promotional DLC, you got the full entire package on the cartridge. Not to mention I remember they had to go through an intensive series of quality assurance and testing prior to release. Unlike today where the practice of releasing broken, unfinished and bare bones games have become the norm with a lot of companies following that trend.

One of my favorites published by EA was Populous made by Bullfrog Studios.

As to EA themselves a wonderful old tyme list...

I loved (and still do.....)

Battle chess.

Abrams battle tank

688 sub

The early (retro) Battlefields. I'll also include Bad Company and Bad Company 2.

The Bard's Tale.

Command and conquer

Black and white.

Dungeon Keeper..

So many great titles and developers that just leads me to wonder what the hell happened to EA and the gaming industry itself?

I'm serious when I say I really wish there will be another very hard gaming crash like there was in the 80s.

At least there's Indies. It's been a love-hate relationship but one that still grabs my attention for putting Ford games as they used to be.

Most of indie games are garbage shovelware, but a few have shown through as wonderful modern day gems reminiscence of the quality of games we used to have buy passionate (and successful) companies who put the gamer first and foremost. Like the good old days of Gaming where I had fun and felt the value largely matched the money I paid for them.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Unlike today where the practice of releasing broken, unfinished and bare bones games have become the norm with a lot of companies following that trend.
That is probably the thing I hate most about contemporary gaming. I don't want to bring a game home only to have to wait for a patch to download to make an unfinished game marginally playable. It's not nostalgia, but it literally was better when we popped in the cartridge or disc, turned the console on, and played.
Command and conquer

Black and white.
Command and Conquer, along with Star Craft, made me life long fans of the RTS genre. But the direction EA went made me eventually not even liking C&C anymore.
I also forgot EA did Black & White. That was definitely a very fun game, whether it was to play it to do the missions or just play around and have fun (especially with the giant pet you got in it).

Twilight Hue

I'm worried that Rockstar might be going down that path. I mean they've always been a bit sneaky, releasing games conveniently at the end of a generation cycle and rereleasing another version on next gen consoles. (I'm still salty about the XBox 360 rerelease of San Andreas. A bit too buggy to be up to snuff with Rockstar's usual standards IMO.)
But yeah EA is basically the mafia of the gaming industry at this point. I knew they were unscrupulous but damn, they continue to sink to new lows. :(:mad:
Yeah I saw that with Grand Theft Auto V. For myself I'm a single player gamer though I do like multiplayer now and again. The fact that rock star had reneged on its promise to address single player as well as multiplayer by way of future content left a bad taste in my mouth. In fact even for multiplayer enthusiasts the practice of pay-to-win, sleazy manipulative matchmaking, and don't even mention Shark cards although the name itself seems uncannily fitting for the purchaser.

I fear Red Dead Redemption 2 is going to go down the same road as Grand Theft Auto V and I'm certainly not pre-ordering the game no matter what kind of carrot they want to dangle. If they don't give a good quality game for single player I'm simply not buying it. With the way EA acts today I'm not holding my breath and I've tempered my hype meter and stayed realistic as far as expectations and delivery goes.

Depending upon the subsequent reviews and criticisms after release, I'm prepared to even be willing to wait a year or two until the price drops to a level where I feel it's worth the money to finally make a purchase. I've done that already with games like EAs Star Wars Battlefront where it's now Pennies on the dollar where value matches content. I've learned to be patient and not fall for the hype anymore. I've already saved much frustration and funds that way.

Twilight Hue

That is probably the thing I hate most about contemporary gaming. I don't want to bring a game home only to have to wait for a patch to download to make an unfinished game marginally playable. It's not nostalgia, but it literally was better when we popped in the cartridge or disc, turned the console on, and played.

Command and Conquer, along with Star Craft, made me life long fans of the RTS genre. But the direction EA went made me eventually not even liking C&C anymore.
I also forgot EA did Black & White. That was definitely a very fun game, whether it was to play it to do the missions or just play around and have fun (especially with the giant pet you got in it).
All the more reason to get back into PC gaming once I can afford a good rig.

The sheer amount of far more quality titles ranging into the thousands and a wide selection of genres is a big draw for me. I'm a big-time fan of large tactical (thinking) simulations (like Arma, Combat Mission, or Wargame Red Dragon) and rts games (akin with Company of Heroes, Theater of War, and Homeworld.) which is notably lacking If not largely absent on consoles leaving players with a very limited and narrow selection of games to choose from.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
rts games (akin with Company of Heroes, Theater of War, and Homeworld.) which is notably lacking If not largely absent on consoles leaving players with a very limited and narrow selection of games to choose from.
They are definitely there on console (Starcraft and C&C 1 are both on N64). However they just don't work that well with a controller. The C&C game on 360 wasn't too bad, but it still didn't have a mouse and keyboard. I've long loved the genre, but it's pretty much the only genre that I will not play on console because controllers suck for it.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I usually only buy games on sale or pre loved, but I am very tempted to preorder the new Red Dead Redemption. The first is my favourite Rockstar game, and 2 is currently 69$. (For reference, the new God of War is still 79-89$)

I don't like that it has a locked mission on the preorder, potentially story based. I think that's greedy even for a preorder exclusive.
But damnit preorders here are usually like over 100 bucks. And I wants it lol

But what do you think of preorders? Waste of money? Scam?
Do you have any preorder games? Regret any preorder purchases?

I rarely preorder. If I do, it would have to be a game I am planning to buy, even if the reviews come out and rate it 2/10.
Based on their track record, and on Red Dead Redemption, this is one of the rare games that sits comfortably in that category.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I rarely preorder. If I do, it would have to be a game I am planning to buy, even if the reviews come out and rate it 2/10.
Based on their track record, and on Red Dead Redemption, this is one of the rare games that sits comfortably in that category.
Yeah this and the Spider-Man game are the ones I was going to buy no matter what this year. Though Spyro reignited looks fun too.

Erebus

But what do you think of preorders? Waste of money? Scam?
Do you have any preorder games? Regret any preorder purchases?

No Man's Sky.

Yeah. I don't pre-order games at all anymore. I won't even buy a game on the week of release. Generally it takes at least that long to get rid of the worst of the inevitable bugs anyway.

Woberts

The Perfumed Seneschal
I pre-order a lot.
Fallout: 76, Battlefield 5, Battlefield 1, and the new Spider-Man are the first ones that come to mind.
Right now I'm working towards the 100% marker of my favorite games.
Dark Souls is up next.
:oops:
It's gonna hurt.