• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Predestination

lunamoth

Will to love
Katzpur said:
Bingo! :bounce Paradise still exists, and good people who never knew about Christ during their lifetimes can hear about Him in Paradise, where they await their resurrection. If they accept His sacrifice on their behalf, when they stand before God to be judged, they will be welcomed into Heaven. God is both merciful and just! :bounce

Hi Katzpur, the LDS doctrine on heaven is interesting and seems to be close to my own understanding. Really, (and I am using a metaphor here), when you get to those pearly gates and see Christ standing there holding out His hand to you, and feel the love pouring out to you, and realize that His love has been pouring out all along, I can't imagine anyone saying no thank you. I think there is a judgement at that time; I imagine it might be something like a review of our life with clear vision to see the impact of every decision we made, everything done or left undone, being in the place to feel whatever hurt we inflicted. And even as we see this, I think we will also know our forgiveness. Sorry if this is sounding melodramatic. I'm feeling rather overtired tonight.

BTW to ZH, I think everybody gets to the gate, regardless of what you believed or did in this life. Grace is not grace if you need to earn it, and that includes earning it by having the right doctrinal beliefs.

lunamoth

zombieharlot

Some Kind of Strange
CrystalSnow said:
Sorry, buttons*, I suppose we got a bit off track there, eh?

Why do you think I stopped paying attention to my own thread?

It seems like you all have said everything you've wanted to say too. Or am I wrong? Anything else anyone want to add on predestination?

CrystalSnow

Why do you think I stopped paying attention to my own thread?

It seems like you all have said everything you've wanted to say too. Or am I wrong? Anything else anyone want to add on predestination?

No, sir, I think I'm done. At least for the night. :)

feed_my_lambs

(you got this idea from roman 9 didnt you)
i have had troble dealing with this teaching. the idea that god could predestin people to hell not according to what they have done.
i do not believe this to be the case
thoughout the bible God calls everyone to repentance...true???
than why would he create people for destruction?
i do not beleive that a God of mercy and compassion would do this.
for one it is out of line with what the rest of the bibe teaches
(daniel 12, 2thessalonians1:6)
i dont think our faith is the issue i think it is romans9 (sorry to sound like a hertic)

Adstar

feed_my_lambs said:
i have had troble dealing with this teaching. the idea that god could predestin people to hell not according to what they have done.
i dont think our faith is the issue i think it is romans9 (sorry to sound like a hertic)

It is not Romans 9. It is the interpretation of Romans 9 that is wrong. You should not reject Romans just because someone has a misguided view on its interpretation.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

may

Predestination is an unscriptural teaching that slanders God. It confuses what he can do with what he actually does. The fact that God can foreknow events is clearly stated in the Bible. (Isaiah 46:9, 10) However, it is illogical to think that he cannot control his ability to know the future or that he is responsible for every outcome. To illustrate: Suppose you had great physical strength. Would that make you feel inclined to lift every heavy object in sight? Of course not! Likewise, having the ability to know the future does not compel God to foreknow or foreordain everything. His use of foreknowledge is selective and discretionary. Clearly, false teachings, including predestination, do not glorify God.

zombieharlot

Some Kind of Strange
feed_my_lambs said:

Nope! Haven't read Romans 9 since I was a human worm baby. Not familiar with it. And the other references you use are all fine, except they don't tell me anything I don't already know.

zombieharlot

Some Kind of Strange
may said:
Predestination is an unscriptural teaching that slanders God. It confuses what he can do with what he actually does. The fact that God can foreknow events is clearly stated in the Bible. (Isaiah 46:9, 10) However, it is illogical to think that he cannot control his ability to know the future or that he is responsible for every outcome. To illustrate: Suppose you had great physical strength. Would that make you feel inclined to lift every heavy object in sight? Of course not! Likewise, having the ability to know the future does not compel God to foreknow or foreordain everything. His use of foreknowledge is selective and discretionary. Clearly, false teachings, including predestination, do not glorify God.

How can God have selective knowledge? Your saying that He has the potential to know if we're going to hell or not, but doesn't utilize that. I find that hard to believe. Why wouldn't He utilize that?

Adstar

Adstar said:
God can predestine people to the lake of fire if he already knows if they will reject His will. God can also predestine people to have eternity with Him if he already knows they will reject his will. All God has to do is allow people the free will to accept or reject His will. They make the decision He provides the eternal outcome of their decisions.

hummm i stuffed that a bit lets try a correction

God can predestine people to the lake of fire if he already knows they will reject His will. God can also predestine people to have eternity with Him if he already knows they will Accept his will. All God has to do is allow people the free will to accept or reject His will. They make the decision He provides the eternal outcome of their decisions.

PS: why doesn't this forum have an editing feature?

may

zombieharlot said:
How can God have selective knowledge? Your saying that He has the potential to know if we're going to hell or not, but doesn't utilize that. I find that hard to believe. Why wouldn't He utilize that?
well , as one of JW i know that the bible does not teach litral hellfire , so no one is going there anyway,
True, God can foresee certain events, but in many cases, he has chosen not to use his foreknowledge. Because God is almighty, he is free to exercise his abilities as he wishes, not according to the wishes of imperfect humans.
Christ told his disciples to preach the good news to all mankind. If God has already chosen the ones to be saved, would this not dampen the zeal Christians show in evangelizing? Would it not make the preaching work essentially pointless? yes God has a number of 144,000 who will be going to heaven , this is a number of people, but they are not individually predetermined, but the number is predetermined, but those who will inherit the earth are without number

Adstar

Katzpur said:
It does. It's almost directly above where you see your frubals and a tiny bit to the right.

Oh thank you Katzpur :bounce On all the other forums i go to the edit button is always down the bottom of the post. I suppose i should not assume things are the same everywhere. :slap: