• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Predestination?

Faithofchristian

First to understand predestinated you would have to get to the meaning of what
Predestinated means ?

Predestinated means, pass tense, a time before.

Alot of people, but not all people believe that God Predestinated people to be here.without having a choice of their own. Which is a false teaching of man's.

Let's for say that God Predestinated people to be here, without having a choice of their own, for this to be true, then why doesn't all people believe in God and all people being religious?

When God Predestinated people to be here, God did not limit their choices of making their own decisions in life for themselves.

But then people will say, well isn't God all knowing, Yes, but there are times that God may not want to know things before they happen, to see for himself what's is to happen, without knowing ahead of time.

Predestinated, means, Pass Tense, a time before, so that means that all people were Predestinated from a time before. To be here in this Predestinated time of earth.

Predestinated means, Pass Tense, a time before.

Last edited:

Kelly of the Phoenix

In my early days of being a narrow-minded Biblist I surmised that the paths were predetermined but man had a choice.
The outline is predetermined. The details can change, but not the gist.

Therefore, freewill exists where the natural world does not exist. By looking within you will find that place...By faith.

It's the place where you meet God.
Is that like how Sisyphus learned that you can cheat the afterlife? I mean, after all, you're no longer encumbered by reality, so if you can think it, you can do it. That gulf that separates heaven from hell? Just walk over it!
but the reincarnation scheme leaves out.....WHO is in charge....
I don't think karma or destiny or whatever has anyone in charge, but is an objective thing that even gods must obey. It is a part of reality.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I don't think karma or destiny or whatever has anyone in charge, but is an objective thing that even gods must obey. It is a part of reality.

I believe in a God that moves with us

He might have a much better guess at the future....
His perspective of the 'gist' would be better
He created it

but knowing the exact outcome would spoil the effort

@sandy whitelinger - May come as a bit of a shocker but Catholics do believe in predestination, but it's most definitely not the same as Calvin.

God can only be said to antecedently will the salvation of all. His effective and consequent will He elects some to salvation, according to His good pleasure. That's always a mind twister for some folks, but I'll let you sit with that first.

So in essence, it's mostly certainly a gift, but it's still available to all. But it has to be understood in the context of how God's will operates in relation with people.

Catholic predestination is really no different than Calvin's. Either way, God is determining who "goes to Heaven" and who "goes to Hell." The whole "double predestination" thing is just a deliberate blurring of something that is nonsensical, like the trinity.

Nova2216

In my early days of being a narrow-minded Biblist I surmised that the paths were predetermined but man had a choice. After years of Don Quixote like attempts at trying to splain otherwise, I have come to see that some people just ain't gunna understand faith. It's like they're unequiped to process it.

What say you?

The Lord said all men would be blessed through Abraham (Gen.12:3).

In (Joel 2:28) the Lord said -28 And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh

The question is how?

We find that (Eph.1:8-11) and (Eph.3:8-11) tells of a plan of salvation which God had in mind before the universe was ever created.

That plan culminated in the fullness of time. That time was the coming of Jesus to the earth (Gal.4:4).

The Lord planned on a certain "kind" of people who would be blessed or saved according to His plan. They would be blessed in a certain "location".

Where is that location?

Certain individuals were saved based upon their knowledge of truth and their willingness to obey that truth.

4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth. (1Tim.2:4)

(Jn 8:31,32) - ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

(Jn 6:44) - 44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day. 45 It is written in the prophets, And they shall be all taught of God. Every man therefore that hath heard, and hath learned of the Father, cometh unto me.45 It is written in the prophets, And they shall be all taught of God. Every man therefore that hath heard, and hath learned of the Father, cometh unto me.

Is it a physical location ?

No it is not, it's a spiritual location.

That location in which men can be blessed by God is the Church or the kingdom of God (Mt.16:18,19). (Ac.2:36-42).

The first gospel sermon was preached in (Ac.2). Those who obeyed (Ac.2:38) were placed into the church (Ac.2:47).

The church of Christ is the spiritual location where sins are remitted by the blood of Jesus (Eph.1:7) (Rev.1:5) (Col.1:18,24). The church was not an after-thought rather it was in the plan of God from the beginning of time (Eph.1:8-11) (Eph.3:8-11). Most people reject this idea but it is plain, clear and precisely found in the word of God.

If a person would read (Ac.Chapters 1-10) over and over many times they would know how to be saved.

(Ac.2:38) - 38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

(Ac.22:16) - 16 And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.(Ac.16:30-34) (AC.8:35-40))

(Ac.2:42) - 42 And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.

(Eph.3:3,4) - 3 How that by revelation he made known unto me the mystery; (as I wrote afore in few words,
4 Whereby, when ye read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ)

Thanks