• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pre-mortal existence of man's spirit: Which religions teach this?

Clear

Premium Member
As a Christian, I was doing research on God’s pre-creation Councils and the War in Heaven, I found myself wondering if there aren’t other religions besides some christians who believe the intelligence (spirit) within mankind, had an existence before their birth.

1) Are there members of other religions on this forum that believe that man’s spirit existed and was active and cognizant before his birth?

2) If so, could you explain what religion you are and what your religion believes man’s spirit was doing before he was born?

thank you in Advance

Clear

(Also, if there are historians here who are familiar with early christian hymns - circa 0-300 a.d. - could you P.M. me?)

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
As a Christian, I was doing research on God’s pre-creation Councils and the War in Heaven, I found myself wondering if there aren’t other religions besides some christians who believe the intelligence (spirit) within mankind, had an existence before their birth.

1) Are there members of other religions on this forum that believe that man’s spirit existed and was active and cognizant before his birth?

2) If so, could you explain what religion you are and what your religion believes man’s spirit was doing before he was born?

thank you in Advance

Clear

(Also, if there are historians here who are familiar with early christian hymns - circa 0-300 a.d. - could you P.M. me?)
I suspect you already know that the Latter-day Saints believe in this doctrine. I'm at work right now and am unable to respond in much depth, but if you aren't already aware of the LDS perspective on the pre-mortal existance of man's spirit, please tell me and I'll make a point of getting back to you later tonight.

To the best of my knowledge, Zoroastrianism does have a belief in a pre-mortal existance, but I'd have to verify the details of the doctrine. Most of that religion's sacred texts have been lost, so the references to a pre-mortal existance aren't explained in a great deal of detail.

About the early hymns, I can provide a reference to one when I get back on the forum later tonight.

Last edited:

Rolling_Stone

How about half and half? The U. Book says, and it makes sense to me, that spirit in man is a preexisting fragment of the Father that indwells the mind of man, an electrochemical mechanism endowed with will, with which it unites to parent with the mind the human soul.

(Just had to put my 2 cents in ;))

Clear

Premium Member
Katzpur -

I am somewhat familiar with the doctrines and the sacred literature of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (LDS). The fact that the LDS simply possessed doctrines regarding pre-earth conditions was an exciting discovery for me. Perhaps some LDS would disagree with me, but the Book of Abraham feels like it belongs in the Enoch Literature rather than belonging in the strictly Abrahamic traditions. Regardless, it is amazing literature.

I would like to discover more about religions that possess information regarding pre-earth councils and conditions. I believe theists are more likely understand God’s purposes and what he is doing in this life if they understand more of what he was doing BEFORE this life.

The Pirke (d rabi Eliezer) relates a story of the young Moses (before he was a Prophet and was herding sheep in Midian) that illustrates this principle.

Moses was sitting on a hill, overlooking a well and meditating about life and it’s meaning, when he noticed a traveler come and stop at the well to refresh himself. Unnoticed, a purse of money dropped out of his garments and fell on the ground before he continued on his journey. After a short while another traveler appeared. He refreshed himself with the cool water and while standing near the well, found the money-bag on the ground. He picked it up, rejoiced about the stroke of luck and went happily on his way. Yet another stranger came after a while who also drank of the water from the well and then proceeded to take a nap nearby. Meanwhile, the first traveler had noticed the loss of his purse and hurriedly returned to the area since he surmised that he could have only lost it while refreshing himself at the well.

When he saw the sleeping man, he awakened him and asked him whether he had found the money, to which the other replied, truthfully, that he had not. However, the first stranger evidently did not believe the other’s assurance and after some accusations and shouting, a fight between the two ensued. It was at this point that Moses came running from the place of meditation to quell the disturbance and calm the tempers because he had witnessed what had happened.

But it was too late. The man who had lost the purse had already killed the innocent man when Moses arrived at the scene. The prophet related his observations to the man, who was quite shaken at his deed, and departed in great sorrow over the loss of his possessions and the knowledge of having killed for no cause. Moses was also shaken by this experience and he wondered deeply about the justice and benevolence of a God who had permitted such an act to happen.

“Lord of the Universe, spoke Moses, “can it be thy will to punish the innocent and let prosper the guilty? The man who hath stolen the money-bag is enjoying wealth which is not his, whilst the innocent man hath been slain. The owner of the money, too, hath not only lost his property, but his loss hath been the cause of his becoming a murderer. I fail to understand the ways of Providence and workings of Divine justice O Almighty, reveal unto me Thy hidden ways that I may understand.”
And so the Lord proceeded to tell Moses why it was just. The man who had lost the money had inherited it from his father who, in turn, had stolen it from the father of the man who had found it. Therefore that situation had now been corrected. The man who had been killed, had in years past, killed the brother of the man who had killed him during the quarrel. Said the Lord to Moses:

“Know thou, O Moses, that I ordained it that the murderer should be put to death by the brother of the victim, whilst the son should find the money of which his father had once been robbed. My ways are inscrutable, and often the human mind wonders why the innocent suffer and the wicked prosper.”

We are all like Moses at the well.

Without more information, so much of what is going on in this life seems unfair and tragic, and often undercuts a faith in God and in the Savior. Once we obtain more information, then God’s purposes and what he is doing with mankind, can make much more sense.

Clear
(vi-vi)

Katzpur; I am very interested in your reference to an early Christian hymn. So many of the earliest authentic doctrines were taught, not from books (few ancients could afford copies of documents IF they could read at all) but rather they were so often taught in the early hymns (such as in the verses of the Enuma Elish creation hymn that is getting attention in the forum at the moment).

Last edited:

Surya Deva

Hi Clear,

I am Hindu. We do believe the soul has a pre-existence before it is born, because we believe the soul is unborn and thus not subject to death. It is eternal. However, it's body is subject to death and the body is not eternal. This body does not just mean its material body, but its spiritual body. At the time of death, the soul only leaves its material body, but its spiritual body remains intact. When it is its spiritual body it resides in a realm similar to what you would call spiritual realms, except these realms are not real, they are imaginary/mental realms, which are quasi objective and quasi subjective. The soul either remains there or can choose to reincarnate in a physical body by choosing parents but only based on its karma. It cannot, for example choose parents of royalty, if it does not deserve them. It continues like this until it has fulfilled all its desires and once it achieves this it loses body and returns to the soul. This is called Moksha - liberation.

I will just add that in Hinduism it is impossible to gain liberation anywhere but in the material world. This material world is called the field of action, where even the most evolved souls desire to incarnate. This is the only place where it can fulfill its desires and achieve the final goal of its existence --- Moksha.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
During the second century, present already in Gnosticism and Hermetism was a doctrine that will take an essential place in Platonism.
this doctrine spoke of the descent of every soul to the world through the planetary spheres and its return to the stars through the same way.
the journeys into the heaven were popular during the first centuries in the three big traditions of the time: Platonism, Judaism, and Christianity.

Clear

Premium Member
Suraj and Caladan (Caladan - another Dune officiado?) Thank you both for your information.

Caladan:
“...journeys into the heaven were popular during the first centuries in the three big traditions of the time: Platonism, Judaism, and Christianity...- Caladan
Regarding this comment, are you referring to the “ascension literature” Of Judaism and Christianity? (E.g. ascension of Abraham; Enoch /ascension of R. Ishmael, and other similar literature...)

Clear
(si-fu)

Last edited:

cardero

Citizen Mod
Patrickism also believes that the soul existed in the spiritual realm before taking on a physical existence. As for what this spirit was doing, this purpose can vary from individual to individual. Patrickism also believes that spiritual BEings can sometimes help physical BEings in the their purpose, some create but most are very busy.

Darkwater

Strength & depth in Patrickism,ty for clarifying.

None of this linear thought process stuff will do for us Patricians.

krishnano

Well, I practice Vaishnavism, which is considered to be the oldest religion in the world. Gaudiya Vaishnavism, which is the denominational tradition that I follow, believes in the pre-existence of the soul.

Basically, the spirit soul (jivatma) is eternal and is eternally part and parcel of the body of God. It is not God, but that it, in its original constitutional position, is a servant of God in the spiritual planets (spiritual worlds, Krishnaloka). It is never created at any point in time (that the spirit soul would be created, would destroy the eternalness of the soul) and it will never perish. Think of how the spark (spirit soul) is never truly independent from a fire (Krishna, or God). It has the same qualities and substance as God, but the amount of power that God possesses is great compared to the minuteness of our own.

"For the soul there is neither birth nor death at any time. He has not come into being, does not come into being, and will not come into being. He is unborn, eternal, ever-existing and primeval. He is not slain when the body is slain."
Bhagavad Gita 2.20

However, somehow or another, the spirit soul loses its pure consciousness by wishing it to be God rather than a servant of God. When the spirit soul desires to be supreme and the Supreme Enjoyer, then it 'falls' from the spiritual sky and forms into the material atmosphere, ruled and governed by the laws of nature.

As Gaudiya Vaishnavas, we are trying to revive this dormant love for God and remember our original, constitutional positions as servants of God in the spiritual worlds through bhakti-yoga, or the science of loving devotion to Krishna. By doing so, our consciousness that has been dirtied by the material world becomes clear, and when we die, we can ultimately escape from the cycle of birth, death, old age and disease, and go back Home, back Home to God as eternal servitors of the Supreme Lord. :D

Clear

Premium Member
Krishnano - That was a fascinating description. If I have time tomorrow, I’d like to as for some clarification on some details. The analogy of a “spark” from a larger flame is a common symbol used in early pseudographic writings.

Thank you for that very interesting post.

Caladan
“...journeys into the heaven were popular during the first centuries in the three big traditions of the time: Platonism, Judaism, and Christianity...- Caladan
I’m still wondering if this comment refers to the “ascension literature” Of Judaism and Christianity or if you are referring to some other source for ascension traditions.

Thank you in advance for your time.

Clear

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
This Sufi piece clearly implies the pre-mortal existence of man's spirit, but goes further.

I died as a mineral and became a plant;
I died as a plant and rose to animal;
I died as animal and I was a man.
Why should I fear?
When was I less by dying?
Yet once more I shall die as man to soar...
With angels blest.
But even from an angel I must pass on:
All except God must perish.
When I have sacrificed my angel soul,
I shall become what no mind ever conceived.
JALALUDDIN RUMI

Clear

Premium Member
Krishnano
I apologize not to have posted before now. The next four months are busy for me and I’ll have to go on a low-electron, forum-"lite" diet and post less often.
Basically, the spirit soul (jivatma) is eternal and is eternally part and parcel of the body of God. It is not God, but that it, in its original constitutional position, is a servant of God in the spiritual planets (spiritual worlds, Krishnaloka). It is never created at any point in time (that the spirit soul would be created, would destroy the eternalness of the soul) and it will never perish. Think of how the spark (spirit soul) is never truly independent from a fire (Krishna, or God). - Krishnano

I appreciate the wonderful depth of detail you are offering Krishnano, it is fascinating doctrine. I read just a bit regarding Vaishnavism on wikipedia and noted that some of Vaishnavism felt early Christianity was as a form of Vaishnavism. Whether that is correct or not, I can’t help but notice similar elements between what you’ve related and some ancient Christianities also.

1) Regarding the spirits relationship to God for example:

You related:
"It has the same qualities and substance as God, but the amount of power that God possesses is great compared to the minuteness of our own. " - Krishnano
The early Sophia Christi, relates a similar description :
"All spirits are ageless and equal as to creation, but differ in degrees of power."

There are other specific concepts that are familiar to christianities and other religions of other eras.
Regarding the pre-mortal existence of the spirits of men referred to in your quote:
"For the soul there is neither birth nor death at any time. He has not come into being, does not come into being, and will not come into being. He is unborn, eternal, ever-existing and primeval. He is not slain when the body is slain." Bhagavad Gita 2.20 - by Krishnano

this sentiment is a substantial thread woven into so many sacred texts:

"Intelligence, or the light of truth, was not created or made, neither can be." D&C 93:30
"Write all the souls of men, however many of them are born, for all souls are prepared to eternity before the foundation of the world." (2nd book of Enoch)
The Hebrew Zohar, tells us that
"All men before they lived on earth were present in heaven in the identical form they possess in this life, and everything they learn on earth they knew already before they came to this world."
Egyptian pyramid and coffin texts continue on similar themes without even causing ripples in this doctrine:
"I existed before I was born, when the gods did not exist, when as yet there was no bird trap, when the cattle were not yet lassoed. I was formerly; I was of yesterday, a great one among the great and noble ones."

Even different idiom do not preclude doctrinal correlations : Jewish group idiom refers to a time
"when the morning stars sang together and all the sons of God shouted for joy." (Job 38:7)
whereas Egyptian personal idiom refers to the same time period :
"Before I was born by hand or born of woman, he created me in the midst of his perfection, which caused to jubilate those who shared in the secrets."
Whether "shouting for joy" or being caused to "jubilate" before being born, the themes of pre-creation occurrences keep repeating themselves.

I have to wonder if such constant redundant repetition was important to the ancients because it emphasized the realization that knowing who we really are and where we came from is the only thing that can put the present and future into its proper perspective.

In the Clementine Recognitions, the apostle Peter tells the young christian convert Clement about the pre-earth council and plan
"which He [God the Father] of his own good pleasure announced in the presence of all the first angels which were assembled before Him. Last of all He made man whose real nature, however, is older and for whose sake all this was created."
Perhaps, for such theists, the key to understanding what God is doing with mankind is contained inside of the concept that we are eternally spiritual.

The ancient Judao-Christian expression "from eternity to eternity" was used in similar fashion to how a Vaishnava might use it. The Serek Scroll (DSS 2:1), uses the expression me'olam le'olam just as Barnabas uses it (ep 8): "From eons unto the eons" means that "you come out of the eons and you go into the eons." There is an eternity behind you, and an eternity before you.

Thank you for offering this interesting principle

2) I also thought you offered another interesting quote that:
However, somehow or another, the spirit soul loses its pure consciousness by wishing it to be God rather than a servant of God. When the spirit soul desires to be supreme and the Supreme Enjoyer, then it 'falls' from the spiritual sky and forms into the material atmosphere, ruled and governed by the laws of nature. - Krishnano

This theme of the consequences of improper pre-mortal pride as it applies to an individual reminds me of early Judao-Christian traditions of the fall of Lucifer. The oldest religious document in the world is the Shabako Stone (the memphite theology) and it deals with this very theme (It deals with the christian "war in heaven" but it is presented in egyptian idiom). Do Vaishnavas have their own traditions as to where the character "Lucifer" originated?

3) Another quote you offered, seemed to be a theme of early christianity, but this time, from an early (the earliest) christian hymn. You mentioned that :
"As Gaudiya Vaishnavas, we are trying to revive this dormant love for God and remember our original, constitutional positions as servants of God in the spiritual worlds through bhakti-yoga, or the science of loving devotion to Krishna. By doing so, our consciousness that has been dirtied by the material world becomes clear, and when we die, we can ultimately escape from the cycle of birth, death, old age and disease, and go back Home, back Home to God as eternal servitors of the Supreme Lord" - Krishnano

Much early Christian theology was taught in our earliest hymns. Even today, we still sing doctrines in verse: "mild he lays his glory by... Born that man no more may die" (from Hark the Herald Angel Sings). In a similar manner one can study ancient Christian doctrine by reading their hymns. One of the earliest (if not the earliest) Christian Hymns is "The Pearl". In "The Pearl" the early Christians sang doctrinal scenarios, similar to your quote.

In the symbolism of a spirit leaving a heavenly home where it’s been nurtured and comes to earth to gain knowledge and testing, the Hymn tells of a youth, nurtured well by his parents and who is given the task of having his glorious robes removed and being sent to a far and mysterious country where he is to obtain a pearl under difficult circumstances. While away, despite warnings, he slumbers and forgets who he is and his glorious past and even, for a time, his purpose of coming to this strange land.

At some point, he is given help and as he reads a letter from his home, he remembers what it is that he is to accomplish here. He remembers his glorious past, his purpose and accomplishes it. Upon his return, his prior glorious robes are placed upon him, and family and friends now bestow accolades upon him, of which he is only then deserving.

Again, thanks for your detailed description of what you believe Krishnano.

best regards;

Clear
(tz-z-fu)

Last edited:

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Hi, Clear. When I went back and read the words of "The Pearl," I was reminded of a lecture I heard some years ago. I'm not sure that it ties closely enough to the topic of this thread to be of interest to you, but I thought I'd post a link to it, in the event that you may wish to read it. There are a few references to man's premortal existence in it, although that's not its primary focus. http://byustudies.byu.edu/shop/pdfSRC/38.2Welch.pdf

krishnano

Krishnano
I apologize not to have posted before now. The next four months are busy for me and I’ll have to go on a low-electron, forum-"lite" diet and post less often.

I appreciate the wonderful depth of detail you are offering Krishnano, it is fascinating doctrine. I read just a bit regarding Vaishnavism on wikipedia and noted that some of Vaishnavism felt early Christianity was as a form of Vaishnavism. Whether that is correct or not, I can’t help but notice similar elements between what you’ve related and some ancient Christianities also.

We, at least under ISKCON's Gaudiya perspectives, believe that Christianity is a form of Vaishnavism. Whether it is a legitimate form to come to God now or whether it is corrupted is up to debate (we do argue of the oneness of God and not the divinisation of Jesus, and emphasis on vegetarianism and that God has a spiritual body). In any case, the Ebionites and the Essenes have more in common with Vaishnavas than any other form that I know of Christianity. The creation (and in some doctrines, the dissolution) of the soul is something vehemently against Vedic Scriptures, and makes us at odd ends with most religions in the world.

You are correct to say that earier forms of Christianity were reflective of Vaishnava-influences; there is rumour of Jesus having gone to India, although I do believe that some Greeks and Romans themselves were Vaishnavas as well, and might have carried on such thought beliefs into Christianity.

Jesus is accepted by Gaudiya Vaishnavas as shaktyavesha avatara of Krishna; that is, he is an acarya and empowered representative of God who taught God consciousness according to time, place and circumstance (with some material differences). Thus, Abba (the Father), Jehovah and Krishna/Vishnu are the one, same, eternal Supreme Lord.

1) Regarding the spirits relationship to God for example:
You related: The early Sophia Christi, relates a similar description :

There are other specific concepts that are familiar to christianities and other religions of other eras.
Regarding the pre-mortal existence of the spirits of men referred to in your quote:
this sentiment is a substantial thread woven into so many sacred texts:
Yes, you are right. Although quoted from Doctrine and Covenants, the only difference is that the Latter Day Saints pose that the spirit soul were created, or at least born from their Spiritual Parents, the Heavenly Mother and Heavenly Father. Vaishnava doctrine still adheres strictly to the eternality of the spirit soul, which is part and parcel of the body of God (think of planets revolving around the sun; all originally came from the same substance of energy when it was first created [not like the soul or God are created, lol], but the immense power of a sun cannot compare to the planets that surround it). The Christian, Jewish and Egyptian texts you have proposed still can not be reconciled with Vaishnavism from the mention of the soul 'being created,' but the similarities are still intriguing nonetheless.

Although I do say that the similarities found in your Zohar and Egyptian texts are indubitably fascinating.

I have to wonder if such constant redundant repetition was important to the ancients because it emphasized the realization that knowing who we really are and where we came from is the only thing that can put the present and future into its proper perspective.
You may be right!
The fact that such a theme is recurrent in early forms of these religions and still preserved in Vaishnavism shows that the eternality of the soul is something universal and has survived thought-evolution (or doctrinal diversion). By knowing where we came from, it gives us a clearer vision of what are we to do in this life, and how to go back Home.

2) I also thought you offered another interesting quote that:
This theme of the consequences of improper pre-mortal pride as it applies to an individual reminds me of early Judao-Christian traditions of the fall of Lucifer. The oldest religious document in the world is the Shabako Stone (the memphite theology) and it deals with this very theme (It deals with the christian "war in heaven" but it is presented in egyptian idiom). Do Vaishnavas have their own traditions as to where the character "Lucifer" originated?
When I became a Vaishnava and left my Christian roots, I also sensed the same thing. With pride of course, universally this vice has always been followed by a fall of some sort, whether metaphorically or literally. So if one were to have some sort of pride-rebellion, obviously a culpable fall would also ensue.

Unfortunately (or rather fortunately) we have no personification of Evil, since everything is due to our own actions and the karmic reactions received (except that a devotee of the Supreme Lord does not care for karma, and thus his karmic debts are reduced when engaged in bhakti yoga). There is a personification of the illusion of the material world (which is in reality one of the manifestations of God's energy) as a transient, but seemingly substantial reality, called Maya, and is divided into two forms: Mahamaya and Yogamaya. It is Maya's job to test the living entities of whether they can go beyond attachment to the material realm or not. While Mahamaya is the illusive principle for all materialists, atheists and staunch impersonalists, Yogamaya reminds devotees that this plane is illusory and that the only Reality is Krishna, or God and the spirit soul.
But Mayadevi as a personification of the falseness of material energy, still works under the direction of Krishna. She is Krishna's servant as well, and merely doing her job!

In Vaishnava theology, the Supreme Lord Krishna's transcendental body is pure energy, and is divided into three: antaranga shakti, tatashtha shakti, and bahiranga shakti. Shakti literally means something along the lines of 'the manifestation of the energy of God'. Antaranga shakti is the spiritual or internal potency/energy of the Lord, where the Lord eternally resides and abides, as well as where our true identities lie. Bahiranga shakti is the material or external potency/energy of the Lord, which includes all the universes created, including ours, and is subject to a continual cycle of creation, maintenance and dissolution. We belong to tatashtha shakti, or the marginal potency/energy of God that always goes back and forth from the two former potencies, according to the desires of the spirit soul (consciousness is the symptom of the soul).

So basically, the material world is really a manifestation of the energy of the Lord; the illusion is that it is the only form, and eternal, when it is factually not. But chanting and glorifying God and His Names (harinam sankirtan), such as chanting Hare Krishna, can change that false and transient identification with the material world.

In the symbolism of a spirit leaving a heavenly home where it’s been nurtured and comes to earth to gain knowledge and testing, the Hymn tells of a youth, nurtured well by his parents and who is given the task of having his glorious robes removed and being sent to a far and mysterious country where he is to obtain a pearl under difficult circumstances. While away, despite warnings, he slumbers and forgets who he is and his glorious past and even, for a time, his purpose of coming to this strange land.
At some point, he is given help and as he reads a letter from his home, he remembers what it is that he is to accomplish here. He remembers his glorious past, his purpose and accomplishes it. Upon his return, his prior glorious robes are placed upon him, and family and friends now bestow accolades upon him, of which he is only then deserving.
That sounds like a pastime of Krishna. There was a saint named Narada Muni, and he was a great devotee and follower of the Supreme Lord and he wanted to understand why the spirit soul would forget where he originally belonged (in the Kingdom of God, or Goloka Vrindavana). You must read it; it is too wonderful for me to be able to put it into my own words.

Sri Sri Radha Krishna Temple - Utah Krishnas

"It [material nature] is all real but everything outside my Kingdom is impermanent, your entire experience was a lesson to show you how easy it is for a devotee in Goloka-Vrindavan, who is eternally liberated, until they choose not to be as you have just done, to be captivated by Maya (forgetfulness and illusion) and fall to a temporary body of forgetfulness birth, disease, old age short memory and death to experience the impermanent nature that exists only within My material universe outside My Eternal abode of Goloka Vrindavan/Vaikuntha."
Again, thanks for your detailed description of what you believe Krishnano.
No problem!

Hare Krishna!

Please chant:

Hare Krishna, Hare Krishna, Krishna Krishna, Hare Hare
Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare

(or any bona fide name of God)

and be happy!

Krishnano

Last edited:

Shams

Hi,

I can tell you abit about the existence of a person after death. . After the person Dies, that person's soul shall come alive and if they have done good they will rest in peace but if they have done bad they will be punished in the grave until the day of Judgment. .

I am from Islam.. By the way in Islam we also belive in Jesus and Moses and many other prophets.. We believe in them as a prophet of God and not as the son od God..

krishnano

Hi,

I can tell you abit about the existence of a person after death. . After the person Dies, that person's soul shall come alive and if they have done good they will rest in peace but if they have done bad they will be punished in the grave until the day of Judgment. .

I am from Islam.. By the way in Islam we also belive in Jesus and Moses and many other prophets.. We believe in them as a prophet of God and not as the son od God..

Welcome to the forums, Shams!

How about the pre-existence of the soul? Do you think Islam can support the idea that the soul existed before it manifested materially within the body?

I am a fan of Islam, and I love the Qur'an. :)

Hare Krishna,
Krishnano.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Yes, you are right. Although quoted from Doctrine and Covenants, the only difference is that the Latter Day Saints pose that the spirit soul were created, or at least born from their Spiritual Parents, the Heavenly Mother and Heavenly Father. Vaishnava doctrine still adheres strictly to the eternality of the spirit soul, which is part and parcel of the body of God...
You are right in saying that the Latter-day Saints believe that the spirit was created by our Heavenly Father (and presumably our Heavenly Mother, although this is not expressly taught). We believe, however, that prior to the creation of our spirits, we existed as "intelligences," which has been interpreted as "light and truth." This light and truth is, we believe, co-eternal with God, who created our spirits and then later our physical bodies.

krishnano

You are right in saying that the Latter-day Saints believe that the spirit was created by our Heavenly Father (and presumably our Heavenly Mother, although this is not expressly taught). We believe, however, that prior to the creation of our spirits, we existed as "intelligences," which has been interpreted as "light and truth." This light and truth is, we believe, co-eternal with God, who created our spirits and then later our physical bodies.

Well, that smacks strongly of Vaishnavism, lol. That's a novel shocker to me, and was never taught to me when I attended Latter Day Saint functions!

But it is a little confusing, considering if the God of our Heavens and Earth (in LDS doctrine) was once a man, how can it be that we were intelligences surrounding God? And if we become our own God, then how do these intelligences manifest themselves?

Clear

Premium Member
Part One

Hi Katzpur;

Perhaps Krishnano is being factious since, in my data search on early christianity and christian pre-creation history, I found the LDS quite willing to share their doctrines and have been grateful for their information and records just as I am grateful to the Jews for their diligence in keeping sacred records of pre-mortal existence for our benefit.

I think, that as long as we are going to speculate about the “birth” of the spirit, I’d like to advance a speculation that is consistent with the history that I’m reading regarding some of the early christians and pre-creation/pre- mortal existence.

Since, to some ancient christians, certain principles were eternal, I had wondered which principles they felt were eternal. For example, matter was certainly eternal. Certain moral and physical laws; were eternal and not arbitrarily created. As I look at some of the early records, the english translators used the word “spirit” in many places where it doesn’t fit.

For example, just as our bodies are made of bits of fine matter (i.e. atoms and ultimately sub-atomics particles; “urstuf”), I have to wonder if some of the translations of early records speak of “spirit” but are instead, referring to the bits of finer pieces that make up the “spirit”. The “urstuf” of spirit. I don’t know what word is appropriate to name this material. I was given the word “intelligence as a better term for “spirit material” (since it is a different material than inert matter - which has no intelligence). The Gospel of Phillip reminds us that truth did not come into the world naked, but came clothed in types and images. I am reminded that we use inappropriate words to describe processes simply because we lack more accurate vocabulary (and we lack specific knowledge)

For example; if the atoms and molecules that make up my body are organized in a coordinated fashion so that when the body is ready for mortality, it is then “born”. Perhaps, when God organizes the bits that make up our spirit to the point that it is ready for it’s existence as a complete spirit, there is a better term than “spirit birth” but I do not know what it would be. There is a bit of insistence regarding the import of matter in early writings, but it’s difficult to pick through. The Abrahamic ascension literature has Abraham being given a vision of the creation of worlds and of the pre-creation spirits who will come to earth after him (some will be righteous and some unrighteous as the paraclete explains to Abraham when Abraham asks about these spirits)

When, in the Clementine Recognitions Clement meets the Apostle Peter, one of the first thinsg Peter tells Clement is there is no inherent evil in matter. I had wondered why the import of that teaching. And why teach it before other “salvific” doctrines? Why did the characteristic of matter take precedence in import to some other principles?

Peter teaches Clement, about the pre-earth council and plan "which He [God the Father] of his own good pleasure announced in the presence of all the first angels which were assembled before Him. Last of all He made man whose real nature, however, is older and for whose sake all this was created." Man’s place in the eternal scheme was different to such christianity than so many of the later evolutions.

The apostle Peter further explains to Clement that "This world was made so that the number of spirits predestined to come here when their number was full could receive their bodies and again be conducted back to the light." This is the same plan as was sung in the Christian hymn I referred to (the pearl). The spirits of men are conducted back after they finished their testing in mortality.

In the early Christian Hyms, the Odes of Solomon , an example verse reads: "Peace was prepared for you before ever your conflict, your testing, was upon this earth, for I know them and before they came into being, I took knowledge of them, and on their faces I set my seal. Who is there that is not subject to them? They are mine and by my own right hand I set my elect ones”

It is in THIS context that the Sophia Christi , says that "All spirits are ageless and equal as to creation, but differ in degrees of power." There is no hint of being “part of God”, but rather the spirits (or their parts) are ageless.

The Gospel of Thomas says, "When you come to know yourselves, then you will be known, and you will know that you are the sons of the living Father. But if you do not know yourselves, then you are in poverty." Jesus is quoted as giving similar instruction as follows: "Blessed is he who was before he came into being, and blessed are the solitary elect. For you shall find the kingdom because you came from it. You shall go there again."

The Gospel of Thomas further quotes Jesus: 'If they say to you from where do you have your origin, say to them, We have come from the light where the light has originated through itself. It stood and revealed itself in their image.' Lord, do I and man belong to the material world? The answer is you and your children belong to the Father who existed from the beginning. Your spirit came down from above from the imperishable light; for this reason the lower powers cannot approach you. But all who have known this road are immortal amidst mortal men."

The Gospel of Philip (equally old and equally important to Thomas) says: "The Lord said, 'Blessed is he who was before he came into being for he who is and was shall be.'"

Another quote from the Gospel of Philip parallels the Cabalistic teaching: "At the Council in Heaven every spirit appeared before God in the very same form they were later to take in the human body. God examined them one by one, and many hesitated to come here and to be exposed to contamination."

In the Second Book of Enoch (the Slavonic version), Enoch writes: "Write all the souls of men, however many of them are born, for all souls are prepared to eternity before the foundation of the world."

I HAD TO BREAK THIS POST IN HALF TO FIT IT INTO THE CHARACTER LIMIT...

CLEAR