• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lorgar-Aurelian

So the idea here was to have a little prayer experiment to determine whether or not the feeling I have gotten of peace after praying is just a placebo. This is not a definitive test but it is certainly a beginning. Right off the bat it should be stated that we won’t be praying for any specific item or event just guidance and peace.

So we’re going to try several different types of prayer. Any prayers you think I should try go ahead nad suggest it. I’ll be trying to get through as many as possible but I want to give each a certain amount of time between. So it won’t be just one after another after another.

I’m going to try

-Christian Prayer

-Zoroastrian prayer

-Prayer to Hashem

-Hindu prayer

-Pagan prayer

This covers a decent amount of the world religions and we’ll see what the results end up being.

Depending on how I feel this may give me a tiny bit of indication as to which faith is right or at least right for me. It’s only the first step mind you and we have a long way to go after that.

@The Ragin Pagan If you could provide some resources on how to pray to the gods that would be great.

Nyingjé Tso

Tänpa Yungdrung zhab pä tän gyur jig
Vanakkam,

I think the easiest and more straightforward as for the hindu prayer is to visit a hindu temple.

I don't know where you are but if you need any guidance or help, we can find.

Aum Namah Shivaya

Jumi

Well if you're going to try being thorough, why not try at least all of the individual religions that have DIRs on RF?

Jumi

Then if I understand correctly, you are looking for a religion where prayer plays a part or you feel prayer itself has benefits and want to see which religion brings out those benefits best. If it's the second point you are after, then I suggest trying out meditation, which works both for both the religious and non-religious.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
What exactly did you do the last time (prayer content)?

Nous

Premium Member
So the idea here was to have a little prayer experiment to determine whether or not the feeling I have gotten of peace after praying is just a placebo.
Huh? How would you distinguish whether the effects of peace you have obtained from prayer are a placebo effect or . . . something else?

Placebo effects are real effects; they are merely not caused by the drug or compound.

Lorgar-Aurelian

Huh? How would you distinguish whether the effects of peace you have obtained from prayer are a placebo effect or . . . something else?

Placebo effects are real effects; they are merely not caused by the drug or compound.
Look I know what a placebo effect is.

What I am going to do is pray to multiple different gods and see what the effect is. How do I feel after each one, is the effect comparable or do certain prays do more or less. It's not going to prove anything but it will provide a direction forward at least. IF all the prayers have roughly the same effect you might conclude that it is not a spiritual thing but just a sort of placebo .

Nous

Premium Member

What I am going to do is pray to multiple different gods and see what the effect is. How do I feel after each one, is the effect comparable or do certain prays do more or less. It's not going to prove anything but it will provide a direction forward at least. IF all the prayers have roughly the same effect you might conclude that it is not a spiritual thing but just a sort of placebo .
So yours are going to be petitioning prayers? I've always thought those were misguided and kind of corny. I thought the better kind of prayer is . . . well, meditation or contemplation. Why don't you try that? You might find that it really works.

Lorgar-Aurelian

So yours are going to be petitioning prayers? I've always thought those were misguided and kind of corny. I thought the better kind of prayer is . . . well, meditation or contemplation. Why don't you try that? You might find that it really works.
If you read the first post you should see they wouldn't be petitioning prayers.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

What I am going to do is pray to multiple different gods and see what the effect is.

Unfortunately this reminds me of a sneaky conversion tactic, where the sneaks make it so only one prayer is answered, the one to the God they want the victims to accept.

Lorgar-Aurelian

Unfortunately this reminds me of a sneaky conversion tactic, where the sneaks make it so only one prayer is answered, the one to the God they want the victims to accept.
Well I mean I don't intend to be sneaky , I just thought it might tell me something if I tried multiple gods rather than just one

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
I mostly just prayed to God the sort of most generic monotheistic entity I had in mind and asked for guidance.
I wouldn't know what to pray. Just imagining myself coming to God to pray about nothing in specific except for guidance (with no specifics) don't seem to be applicable.

I think your first prayer was good. "I need wisdom and direction", but to what direction? I'm not sure "Give me more peace" is a prayer since He is the Prince of Peace and it comes when one accepts Jesus. Casting our cares on Him so that I can be at peace is an act we do and not a prayer we pray.

How about "If you are real and the Prince of Peace, help me be sensitive enough to hear you and just show up in my life".

By in large, long drawn out prayers (in my opinion) bores Him. Certainly repetitive prayers are an insult.

I'm rambling now. :D

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
I mostly just prayed to God the sort of most generic monotheistic entity I had in mind and asked for guidance.
Then I suspect that you will get the most generic of guidance in response.

Do you think deities have nothing to do with their time but wait around to receive and respond to (vague) human requests?

Be bold! Be specific! And be ready for an answer or answers you don't want or like! Be read for an emphatic "NO!" Be ready for absolute silence.

But if you're vague, be ready for, "You want guidance? Here, listen to me give you good advice for the next 15 years, 24/7! Or, because I'm busy with other matters, why not just read the collected great works of philosophy and faith until you understand them all!"