• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Practices

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Hello!
Well I am curious about Sikhism definitely. There is a temple just behind my home (and across the creek and paddock) that I have thought of checking out but I never know when they worship there.

So my question is, what are the main practices of devotion? What happens in a service? And is meditation as central to Sikhism as it is in Hinduism?

GURSIKH

chardi kla
Hello!
Well I am curious about Sikhism definitely. There is a temple just behind my home (and across the creek and paddock) that I have thought of checking out but I never know when they worship there.

So my question is, what are the main practices of devotion? What happens in a service? And is meditation as central to Sikhism as it is in Hinduism?

hi Madhuri Namaste ;)

Great to know abt your plans to visit Sikh temple ( Gurudwara ) , every one is Welcome in Sikh temples ,

Sikhs usually gather early in the morning or in evening , on Sundays the time is extended .

what are the main practices of devotion?
Bowing to Guru Granth sahib ji ( Sikh sacred Scripture ) , ( not compulsary ) .

Listenting recitation of Gurbani /Kirtan while sitting on carpeted floor
img_3449_20091026_1239706049.jpg

here a wikipedia link

http://www.sikhiwiki.org/index.php/Visiting_a_Gurdwara

Langar( free meal ) is served to all gathering assembled .

here are many thread related to your question

http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/sikhism/89717-gurdwara.html

http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/sikhism/91949-sikh-services.html

http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/sikhism/89668-sikh-religious-services.html

Namaskar :namaste

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
It sounds a lot like Hindu services! I might go over one Sunday (Hindus even do it on Sundays too!). Thank you

Onkara

It sounds a lot like Hindu services! I might go over one Sunday (Hindus even do it on Sundays too!). Thank you
Hi Madhuri
I have been a few times to the Gurdwara, but not to a Hindu service. If you find the time and energy to go I would like to hear your thoughts and experiences.

Best wishes, Onkarah.

chinu

chinu

" Sewa te Simran mainu, Bakshi gur meria " -# GGS
English: "O my guru, only give me the fruit of "Service" & "Meditation" (devotion) ."

There are mainly two bondages for the "Soul" to reach upto "God".
They are : "Mind" another one is "Body",

Service (Sewa) is done to break the bondages of body on soul,
Meditation (Simran) is done to break the bondages of Mind on soul,

_/\_ Chinu.

xkatz

Hello!

I would highly recommend going to see a gurdwara. I have been to one and it was truly a great experience and a lot of fun.

There main practices of devotion is basically chanting hymns from the Guru Granth Sahib (their scripture). For this service, people basically sit on the floor and listen/meditate. Afterwards, they have a communal meal (called langar) which is usually vegetarian. IMO, in Sikhism, meditation is a fairly important aspect of prayer/worship.

Also, ANYONE is allowed to participate in gurdwara services, being Sikh is not a perquisite for going to a gurdwara and in fact, I have heard of Hindus and Muslims in India and Pakistan sometimes participating in services.

Last edited:

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I would love to, I just have no idea when the services are held and at other times nobody is actually at the temple! I will try to find out about it.

xkatz

I would love to, I just have no idea when the services are held and at other times nobody is actually at the temple! I will try to find out about it.

Well, I know that the local gurdwara here holds services on Friday nights and midday on Sunday. IDK if all/most gurdwaras have services around those times though :confused: :sarcastic

Last edited:

Onkara

Also, ANYONE is allowed to participate in gurdwara services, being Sikh is not a perquisite for going to a gurdwara and in fact, I have heard of Hindus and Muslims in India and Pakistan sometimes participating in services.

Just to split hairs, anyone is welcome, but one must be Khalsa to actually give the ceremony/reading or kirtan. At least that is my understanding of Sikh Reht not that matters as it is still uplifting and good to be a part. ¡Waheguru! :)

GURSIKH

chardi kla
Just to split hairs, anyone is welcome, but one must be Khalsa to actually give the ceremony/reading or kirtan. At least that is my understanding of Sikh Reht not that matters as it is still uplifting and good to be a part. ¡Waheguru! :)

My frnd Onkaara ji

its written "Sikh" not "Khalsa" on above link of Sikh Rehat Maryada :sarcastic;)

Onkara

Dear Gursikh Ji
You have eyes as sharp as an eagle :)
Due to the need for baptism, the defintions of "Sikh" and "Khalsa" appear to be the same thing for our friends at Sikh Rehat Maryada, unless I am mistaken:

" The Definition of Sikh :

Article I
Any human being who faithfully believes in
i. One Immortal Being,
ii. Ten Gurus, from Guru Nanak Sahib to Guru Gobind Singh Sahib,
iii. The Guru Granth Sahib,
iv. The utterances and teachings of the ten Gurus and
v. the baptism bequeathed by the tenth Guru, and who does not owe allegiance to any other religion, is a Sikh"

Does this mean a person cannot call themselves as "Sikh" until they are baptised?

:)

GURSIKH

chardi kla
" The Definition of Sikh :

Article I
i. One Immortal Being,
ii. Ten Gurus, from Guru Nanak Sahib to Guru Gobind Singh Sahib,
iii. The Guru Granth Sahib,
iv. The utterances and teachings of the ten Gurus and
v. the baptism bequeathed by the tenth Guru, and who does not owe allegiance to any other religion, is a Sikh"

Does this mean a person cannot call themselves as "Sikh" until they are baptised?

:)

hi Onkara ji ,

lets read first line again ....

Article I

its"believes" ,there is difference between " believe" and " Should " . i have faith /believe for Amrit ,but not consider myself yet fit for Amrit . 90 % Sikhs are Unbaptized .

Fateh

Last edited:

Onkara

hi Onkara ji ,

lets read first line again ....

Article I

its"believes" ,there is difference between " believe" and " Should " . i have faith /believe for Amrit ,but not consider myself yet fit for Amrit . 90 % Sikhs are Unbaptized .

Fateh

Gursikh Ji
You are absolutely right, it does read "faithfully believes" I have not seen that important but subtle difference! :D I am pleased I asked you! Although I have read that page numerous times I have always felt excluded by that last line. Now I have hope. :)

Thank you my friend! :yes:

GURSIKH

chardi kla
Gursikh Ji
Although I have read that page numerous times I have always felt excluded by that last line. Now I have hope. :)

Thank you my friend! :yes:

lol :p, Sikhi neva exclude anyone bro ,

ਸਭੁ ਕੋ ਆਸੈ ਤੇਰੀ ਬੈਠਾ ॥
All place their hopes in You.

ਘਟ ਘਟ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਤੂੰਹੈ ਵੁਠਾ ॥
You dwell deep within each and every heart.

ਸਭੇ ਸਾਝੀਵਾਲ ਸਦਾਇਨਿ ਤੂੰ ਕਿਸੈ ਨ ਦਿਸਹਿ ਬਾਹਰਾ ਜੀਉ ॥੩॥
All share in Your Grace; none are beyond You. ||3||

ਤੂੰ ਆਪੇ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਮੁਕਤਿ ਕਰਾਇਹਿ ॥
You Yourself liberate the Gurmukhs;

ਤੂੰ ਆਪੇ ਮਨਮੁਖਿ ਜਨਮਿ ਭਵਾਇਹਿ ॥
You Yourself consign the self-willed manmukhs to wander in reincarnation.

ਨਾਨਕ ਦਾਸ ਤੇਰੈ ਬਲਿਹਾਰੈ ਸਭੁ ਤੇਰਾ ਖੇਲੁ ਦਸਾਹਰਾ ਜੀਉ ॥੪॥੨॥੯॥
Slave Nanak is a sacrifice to You; Your Entire Play is self-evident, Lord. ||4||2||9||