• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Power+corruption+lies = Religion

Trey of Diamonds

Nope. Power+Corruption+Lies=Politics. Where you are making the mistake is in separating religion and the politics of religion. At is core religion is a philosophy but when it becomes institutionalised it become political and you get power, corruption and lies. As with any group of 3 or more people. :D

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Nope. Power+Corruption+Lies=Politics. Where you are making the mistake is in separating religion and the politics of religion. At is core religion is a philosophy but when it becomes institutionalised it become political and you get power, corruption and lies. As with any group of 3 or more people. :D
I agree.
Though I can see where religion can lead to power, corruption, and lies.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member

Politics and Religion go hand in hand even today

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler

I agree.
Though I can see where religion can lead to power, corruption, and lies.
After further consideration, I have to wonder about Scientology.....

Ok, I confess, my wife brought it to my attention that Scientology may well be a religion that fits the bill of the OP.

Trey of Diamonds

So there is no power corruption or lies in any religion or their religious aspects then

No, because there are a few examples of religions created for the sole purpose of political power. Note, I use the term political power in the context of controling large groups of people and not necessarily connected to a government. Scientology is an example in my opinion. But for most mainstream religions I don't think the origin or the core of their beliefs is political in nature and therefore not about power, corruption or lies.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
No, because there are a few examples of religions created for the sole purpose of political power. Note, I use the term political power in the context of controling large groups of people and not necessarily connected to a government. Scientology is an example in my opinion. But for most mainstream religions I don't think the origin or the core of their beliefs is political in nature and therefore not about power, corruption or lies.

In fact, only a few religions have become this.

The only religion that I can think of that originally went hand in hand with politics (long ago) was Judaism. Any other which became political, such as Christianity, did so much later in their histories. Christianity, for example, didn't become heavily political until 300 years after it was founded.

Other religions, like Buddhism and Taoism, haven't really become political except in places like Tibet. (and on that note, it's the non-religious who are doing the oppressing this time)

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard

Christianity is an example. Look where it started and where it took Emperor Constantine I. Yet the man was only officially a Christian on his deathbed, very strange.

GiantHouseKey

Greetings

Power+corruption+lies = Religion
Syntax Error. Religion = Power + Corruption + Lies

Even then, don't put all of your proverbial eggs in one basket.
Did you have any particular religion in mind when you said this?

GhK

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Any group can have power+corruption+lies. Putting all that on religion alone is a bit much, and more than a bit generalizing. Religion isn't supposed to be about power, but about revelation, enlightenment, and in most cases- doing God's will (apart from those religions who have no God), unfortunately, there are those who will exploit others- even those who follow religion.

Trey of Diamonds

Christianity is an example. Look where it started and where it took Emperor Constantine I. Yet the man was only officially a Christian on his deathbed, very strange.

Nope. Constantine didn't create Christianity, Jesus Christ did and his followers did. Constantine is who added the politics although he wasn't the first, just the most efficient. Stupidist thing the Christians ever did was convert the Romans. :rolleyes:

no_spoon

Well, the etymology of the word religion is to tie up (and anything tied up has less power which means others can take advantage of the imbalance, either from within or outside the religion). And of course whenever humans get tied up in anything they want to make sure everyone else is tied equally (politics).

At times like this I always state my minority view that religion and God are orthogonal (they intersect but are not tightly linked). I personally think God is the opposite of power, corruption and lies (nurturing, generous and true). I realize the OP never said God, only religion, so please forgive this slight digression.

On a lighter side, I think the movies "Life of Brian" and "Dogma" do an entertaining job of addressing the OP's question.

On the serious side, we all know of many situations in current and recent times where the tenets of various religions have been used as the excuse (lies) to harm others, or where those in power within the religious hierarchy have been corrupt and used their power to harm those within their own group.

In summary though I would agree with others who have commented that the purpose of religion is not power, corruption and lies, and there are many examples of selfless generosity and even self-sacrifice by religious people (though one could ask the question whether that flowed from their religious membership or their spirituality, and whether their spirituality was improved by their religious membership).

Last edited: