• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Potatoes, Tomatoes, Chocolate

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Beans do not come from the New World. Unless you have in mind a specific variety.

According to the Wikipedia bean page... "However, genetic analyses of the common bean Phaseolus show that it originated in Mesoamerica, and subsequently spread southward, along with maize and squash, traditional companion crops."

Bean - Wikipedia

exchemist

Veteran Member
According t Wikipedia bean page... "However, genetic analyses of the common bean Phaseolus show that it originated in Mesoamerica, and subsequently spread southward, along with maize and squash, traditional companion crops."

Bean - Wikipedia
OK, but Phaseolus is just one family. For instance the fava bean (broad bean) is an Old World variety. As is the green (French) bean and its relatives, so far as I know.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
True. It just seems that most people typically think of tomatoes and potatoes as originating in Europe.

I understand that in Europe it took a long time for tomatoes to be accepted because its in the nightshade family

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I understand that in Europe it took a long time for tomatoes to be accepted because its in the nightshade family

Yeah, and aristocrats would eat on pewter plates, and the acidic content of tomatoes would lead to lead poisoning.