• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Post Rock/Metal

OutOfTime

mogwai that scottish band? yeah i've heard of them, i'll listen to them sometime.

i think post-rock is very much like Sigur Ros (world famous Icelandic band)...

YouTube - Hoppipolla music video by Sigur Ros
YouTube - Sigur Ros - Agaetis Byrjun Live Heima Live Electric Proms

Those aren't their most interesting songs, sometimes they play the electric guitar with a violin bow...really intresting sound.

i'm not so into labelling it, in the end it's all either rock (punk, indie, alternative, light...whatever) or metal.

Fluffy

A fool
whereismynotecard said:
What is the difference between Post rock and metal and just regular rock and metal??
Post rock uses instruments typically associated with rock to create melodies that are not typically associated with rock. The songs tend to be longer, vocals take a back seat and the riffs are varied without being too complex. Post metal is to metal what post rock is to rock.

Music is difficult to describe though. If you really want to get an idea of what the difference between rock and post-rock is then listen to some examples on youtube :).

Jaiket said:
Are you familiar with Mogwai?
Yeah I have some of their stuff but I haven't been able to get into them yet. That song is really good so thanks!

Outoftime said:
i think post-rock is very much like Sigur Ros (world famous Icelandic band)...
Yeah Sigur Ros has got to be the most popular post rock band. Strangely, I didn't get into it through them!

Outoftime said:
i'm not so into labelling it, in the end it's all either rock (punk, indie, alternative, light...whatever) or metal.
Yeah I'm with you on that one. Helps with communication though and also to organise my music collection :).

Fluffy

A fool
OMG I love Explosions in the Sky

They're amazing Fluffy
smile.gif
*hugs*
YES! They are indeed :D.

YouTube - Explosions In The Sky
YouTube - Explosions in the sky - Your Hand in Mine

Yerda

Veteran Member
Yeah I have some of their stuff but I haven't been able to get into them yet. That song is really good so thanks!
I'm fond of the Rock Action record, but I know Mogwai aren't everyone's cuppa. They were one of the first bands to do what they do but they've generally been out-Mogwai-ed by others who do it better.

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
Godspeed you *can't remember the rest of the name* emperor?

Dunno exactly the band's name, but Chris loves em

nikki

godspeed you black emperor...?

neways... yeah. i don't know much post rock-ish stuff but the little bit that i do seems good

Aqualung

Tasty
I like some of the more ambient post rock stuff like Sigur Ros, but other stuff (like Explosions in the Sky) is just too weird and pointless for me.