• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Populist Xenophobia moves The Netherlands to the Right

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I worry when I see "Islam" and the derivative, "Muslim expectations," presented as monoliths, and I believe that articles such as Wikipedia > Liberalism and progressivism within Islam deserve thoughtful review.

Fair enough. I truly hope I am wrong and you turn out to be justified.

I just don't expect that to happen.

As for Wilders' views on Islam, his speech before the Dutch Parliament is instructive:

Islam is the Trojan Horse in Europe. If we do not stop Islamification now, Eurabia and Netherabia will just be a matter of time. One century ago, there were approximately 50 Muslims in the Netherlands. Today, there are about 1 million Muslims in this country. Where will it end? We are heading for the end of European and Dutch civilisation as we know it. Where is our Prime Minister in all this? In reply to my questions in the House he said, without batting an eyelid, that there is no question of our country being Islamified. Now, this reply constituted a historical error as soon as it was uttered. Very many Dutch citizens, Madam Speaker, experience the presence of Islam around them. And I can report that they have had enough of burkas, headscarves, the ritual slaughter of animals, so‑called honour revenge, blaring minarets, female circumcision, hymen restoration operations, abuse of homosexuals, Turkish and Arabic on the buses and trains as well as on town hall leaflets, halal meat at grocery shops and department stores, Sharia exams, the Finance Minister's Sharia mortgages, and the enormous overrepresentation of Muslims in the area of crime, including Moroccan street terrorists.​

I am far more concerned about his expections.

As it happens, far as I can tell he is very justified - on that specific matter, that is.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
In the 19th century we were fewer and we were fine.
Are you willing to live as you did back in the 19th century? With the same levels of infrastructrure, manual labor, and technological limitations?

If you do and so do most other Italians and Europeans, I guess that can be arranged.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Are you willing to live as you did back in the 19th century? With the same levels of infrastructrure, manual labor, and technological limitations?

If you do and so do most other Italians and Europeans, I guess that can be arranged.
In that century there were only Caucasians on European soil.
I don't think it's doable. ;)

RestlessSoul

You really think the EU is far right?????

Depends how you define the EU. And how you define far right. But I see more evidence of free market fundamentalism than social democracy as the guiding principle behind it's institutions. And I voted Remain, in spite of the neo liberalism seemingly driving the project in the last few decades.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Like your forefathers carried their own problems when they landed in America?
Amazing how people forget that little fact and become critical whenever people speak out against illegal infiltration and try to stop it from happening again.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
America was empty.
What?!?! All those indigenous tribes were invented only after the Europeans got here?

There were millions of indigenous peoples living in the US before the 15th and 16th centuries, and they'd been here for tens of thousands of years. At least a thousand different indigenous languages are spoken in the Americas -- hell, there are 574 federally recognized tribes in the US alone!

Or, maybe you mean, "because there was nobody there exactly like us, America was empty," relegating all of those peoples to non-human. Is that what you mean?

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
What?!?! All those indigenous tribes were invented only after the Europeans got here?

There were millions of indigenous peoples living in the US before the 15th and 16th centuries, and they'd been here for tens of thousands of years. At least a thousand different indigenous languages are spoken in the Americas -- hell, there are 574 federally recognized tribes in the US alone!

Or, maybe you mean, "because there was nobody there exactly like us, America was empty," relegating all of those peoples to non-human. Is that what you mean?
No...I meant there was sufficient space both for Native Americans and settlers.

RestlessSoul

America was empty.
Europe is filled with Europeans.

Empty you say?

8F24D300-C04C-4741-B77A-13BD16B457C2.jpeg

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
"There are people coming."

"What kind of people?"

"Just people like you and me."

"That bad?"

"Mhm."
Considering the Würzburg attack in 2021...well...
but most people will say: the victims were not related to me in any way, so I couldn't care less.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Pardon me, dears....if you read the posts of me 5 years ago...I had told you guys that my country would unleash European Nationalism throughout Europe. And the results are evident. I mean...Sweden...Hungary...now Netherlands.
You should have believed me, guys. :)
Thing is, you can't really be a Zionist and a Nationalist, well, unless you're Israeli. It's funny how these new European Nationalists all hate Muslims, which I do understand on some levels because of the community tension and attacks. However, the warmongering of the Zionists and the Middle East are why those people are there in the first place! So if you want Muslims to stay in the Middle East, stop supporting Zionism at all costs, which destabilizes the region, and stop supporting wars of empire.

Steve Bannon, who is probably a spook and looks like a corpse, went to Europe in the last decade to get the European Nationalist movement on board with the Zionist and Neocon foreign policy, so that's one reason why these "far-right" (they're really not far-right) parties all sound like Republicans now.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
It certainly looks as if Geert Wilders, the extreme right populist, anti-immigrant politician in the Netherlands has led his party to victory. This is very disappointing, as it seems to show that the our fears about one another based on race, religion, sexual orientation and what-have-you are playing a larger and larger part in our politics.

In my view, this cannot bode well for the future.

Comments welcome, of course.

Do countries have the right to protect their values? I think they do.

In this case it might boil down to this: We welcome a certain number of immigrants, but we choose not to welcome Islamists and others, whose values we disagree with.