• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poor little atheist has no morals

Simurgh

Atheist Triple Goddess
*Post Removed*

No, you have not hit any nerve with your remarks about Marxists. What I questioned was your conflation of Marxism with pacifism and then you add a war with Islam to the mix. Non sequitur is the nerve you hit. None of this equals each other in the way you have proposed.

How many Muslim countries has the US attacked? Tell me. Which of the Muslim countries with an American presence have we attacked as opposed to how many have asked for our intervention? How many did we declare war on? And the situation with Iran is one where the US is merely one of the nations involved in sanctions. From what I can tell, the Europeans are not happy with the Iranians either and sanction them too. Anyhow, nobody has bombed them and it is the Iranians who threaten to bomb us.

I assume you think that I am a crypto Marxist. And you base that on my disagreement with you? How about coming up with some actual facts besides your opinion grounded in your personal dislike of me? Religion may try to guide people away from immorality, but it does not seem to do a good job of it. Sad that you assume that all people are liars and hypocrites. Some may be, but that does not mean everyone is.

You might assume that people can live without ethics and morals, and they could, but it would be a short life. Morality and ethics exist because they make social interactions possible; that’s why people choose to live by them. There are also many who do not. We do not take kindly to them as they destroy our social fabric.

Last edited by a moderator:
*Post Removed*
i suppose that's one way to describe being scientifically literate.

*Post Removed*

i guess i should tell the community of anthropologists that your anecdotal account of children's behavior and baseless assumption that basic morality is a 'recent' development negates all of their research and lifetimes of hard work. they're going to be super bummed.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
*Post Removed*

Sorry, there isn't much that I may agree with in there. Out of the top of my head, I can't find a single element, even.

For starters, morality dictactes laws, not the other way around.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
*Post Removed*

From their interpretations of what their scriptures and concepts of deity would want the law to be, you mean.

*Post Removed*

Which would that "many" be? I don't think that is quite true even for most forms of the Abrahamic faiths.

*Post Removed*

There are no such things as "moral laws of secular communities".

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Not much of a difference. Moral secular laws are something of a contradiction of terms, anyway.

Simurgh

Atheist Triple Goddess
Since some people do not seem to be able to understand that morality and laws are not necessarily dependent on theology. Let’s backtrack. The laws –such as those based on the ten commandments for example— were based on the needs of societies of that time and place.
That people have a tendency to accept authority better if it is clothed in divine authority notwithstanding, laws and morals are man-made and then ascribed to a deity.
Think about the Codex Hammurabi. Hammurabi collected legal rulings and stipulated laws from his time and place, and undoubtedly some he made himself and codified them. His codex lists crimes and their punishment and was based on collectively held principles of morality and ethics. Like other laws of antiquity, laws and morality based on social norms were observed to allow a given society to live together and prosper.
They were not based in religious tenets or doctrine. Rather religions appropriated what already existed and added a spiritual dimension in order to exert more control and certainly to solidify the powerbase of the religious hierarchies.
In short, atheist are moral their morals are just not predicated upon religious belief. Rather they are anchored in social awareness and common sense.

9Westy9

Sceptic, Libertarian, Egalitarian
Premium Member
I'd just like to remind users of the DIR rules.

10. Discuss Individual Religions Forums/Same Faith Debates/"Only Sections"
The DIR subforums are for the express use for discussion by that specific group. They are not to be used for debate by anyone. People of other groups or faiths may post respectful questions to increase their understanding. Questions of a rhetorical or argumentative nature or that counter the beliefs of that DIR are not permitted. DIR areas are not to be used as cover to bash others outside the faith. The DIR forums are strictly moderated and posts are subject to editing or removal.

9Westy9

Premium Member
What is your experience in the realm of the godly people? Anything funny, sad, disturbing, or simply mind boggling to recount?

My dad re-tweeted a pretty naive tweet earlier

"The atheist can't find God for the same reason that a thief can't find a policeman." :rolleyes:

edit: I was tempted to reply: "Because the policeman is always slacking off eating doughnuts and never out on the streets catching criminals?

Simurgh

Atheist Triple Goddess
My dad re-tweeted a pretty naive tweet earlier

"The atheist can't find God for the same reason that a thief can't find a policeman." :rolleyes:

edit: I was tempted to reply: "Because the policeman is always slacking off eating doughnuts and never out on the streets catching criminals?

So, if i wanted donuts, i would look for a cop, i guess. A bit convoluted, but i can adjust.:angel2:

But if this is about a god someone lost, well what did he look like and where did you actually see him the last time? I might be persuaded to help you look, but chances of locating the dude are slim.

*Post Removed*
That is why I call myself a humanist, and I hope all atheists will consider doing the same. Many atheists have mistakenly come to believe that any self-identification with a worldview is equivalent to being a religious fanatic, with marching orders from some shrill dogma. To the contrary, calling oneself a humanist is simply about supporting the spirit of free and rational inquiry, and basic principles such as democracy, equality, human rights, and peace and justice. I hope all my fellow atheists, once they have satisfied themselves in rejecting religion, will build up something different and better in its place.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Humanism comes rather naturally to most anyone, Spinkles. But I don't think it is any reason to call me less of an Atheist, nor less of a religious man.

9Westy9

Premium Member
*Post Removed*

I can call myself an atheist first if I want. If the other person starts making lots of false assumptions then that's their loss not mine

illykitty

RF's pet cat
Well some people don't mean to be mean and are just ignorant. It's not your job to tell them but if you don't well... You're not really helping the idea.

How about another thread? Poor little theist has no brain. I hear that a lot.

Last edited: