• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poof or Drown?

Poof or Drown?

• Poof

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Drown

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
(Pinecreek/ YouTube --source)
A thought experiment.
God had decided that mankind must die because of their sins. He is going to create a world wide flood.

Poof or drown ?
Hypothetically let's say even the pregnant women's unborn and very small children do in fact deserve to be killed off by God. He will do the act himself. BUT God REQUIRES you to choose the method of execution.

Poof
Painlessly and instantaneously out of existence? or
Running and screaming for hours only to finally painfully thrash and choke to death as their lungs inhale water.
Obviously poof. But not only for moral reasons.

That would have saved a whole lot of animals, avoid that logistic nightmare involving kangaroos travelling to the Middle East and back, all that water, all those animals in a boat, etc. etc. and, last but not least, avoid the embarrassment of the future faithful believer, trying to explain what looks, prima facie, ridiculous.

Ciao

- viole

Hermit Philosopher

Selflessly here for you
Thank you for sharing the video and clarifying what you are getting at Rawshak; it was most helpful, I find.

As I do not view God in the way that is assumed in the hypothesis placed in the video and in your OP, there is little point in me partaking there.

And, though I have no idea who the person interviewing and the person being interviewed in the video are, I would say this:

Wanting simple answers to anything worth asking, is somewhat of a pity. Because good questions do not have simple replies and simplifying one’s answers, reduces the importance of a question.

Humbly
Hermit

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
A thought experiment.
God had decided that mankind must die because of their sins. He is going to create a world wide flood.

Poof or drown ?
Hypothetically let's say even the pregnant women's unborn and very small children do in fact deserve to be killed off by God. He will do the act himself. BUT God REQUIRES you to choose the method of execution.

Poof
Running and screaming for hours only to finally painfully thrash and choke to death as their lungs inhale water.

If Noah preached to the people first to warn them of the Flood? Give them hours to repent.

That's why people aren't as good at playing God as GOD.

Reactions: DNB

firedragon

Veteran Member
A thought experiment.

Poof or drown ?

Poof

Did Pinecreek explain why God would want to kill the whole of mankind?

Anyway, a flood is abiding by natural laws so maybe God would opt to that "if he wanted to kill the whole of mankind".

Silly thought experiment though.

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth
Thank you, could you explain why you would chose drowning?

Out of the limited options given, it is the preferred form of divine retribution: to clothe myself in dark clouds, wind and lightning and to feel the raging chaotic waters from every direction, like Marduk in the Enuma Eliš doing battle against the draconic Tiamat.

Instant deletion would be most efficient, obviously, like the swift exorcism of a tragically corrupted save file, though, if I could wield the elements to achieve the same purpose and was displeased enough with the situation, the more wind and rain and lightning the better.

It is so ironic though. The very reason Enlil sought to destroy humanity was the very same reason the late primordial deity Abzu before him sought to destroy he and the rest of the younger gods. “Too much noise making it difficult to sleep peacefully.” At least the biblical account of cleansing the world of abominations is more understandable. Or... is it?

Last edited:

RestlessSoul

Out of the limited options given, it is the preferred form of divine retribution: to clothe myself in dark clouds, wind and lightning and to feel the raging chaotic waters from every direction, like Marduk in the Enuma Eliš doing battle against the draconic Tiamat.

Instant deletion would be most efficient, obviously, like the swift exorcism of a tragically corrupted save file, though, if I could wield the elements to achieve the same purpose and was displeased enough with the situation, the more wind and rain and lightning the better.

It is so ironic though. The very reason Enlil sought to destroy humanity was the very same reason the late primordial deity Abzu before him sought to destroy he and the rest of the younger gods. “Too much noise making it difficult to sleep peacefully.” At least the biblical account of cleansing the world of abominations is more understandable. Or... is it?

Couldn’t you just bang on the floor with a lightening rod or something?

QuestioningMind

A thought experiment.

Poof or drown ?

Poof

And how ridiculous was it for god to make Noah gather two of every animal onto his ark? After all, god supposedly snapped his metaphorical fingers and poofed all of the animals into existence in the first place. Why didn't he just let them all drown and then poof them back into existence after the flood?

Moonjuice

In the time of chimpanzees I was a monkey
And how ridiculous was it for god to make Noah gather two of every animal onto his ark? After all, god supposedly snapped his metaphorical fingers and poofed all of the animals into existence in the first place. Why didn't he just let them all drown and then poof them back into existence after the flood?
Good question. He did take the time to poof away the trillions of animal carcasses and dead human bodies that would have covered the entire planet after the flood. He also proofed all the salt water fish into being able to temporarily exist in fresh water, where they normally cannot survive, pretty cool trick. Of course, he does get tired after 6 days of creating and needs to rest...so maybe he was simply worn out from all the poofing? Everyone knows that poofing the boat riding animals back to their natural habitats is evidently less exhausting than poofing new ones into existence.

Last edited:

Heyo

Veteran Member
one who came up with a childish pathetic little insult
At least I accepted your hypothetical as you put it. (Not my fault you botched the set-up.)
But there is more in that "childish pathetic little insult" than you see at the surface. There is no moral in becoming an accomplice to a tyrant. If it is his choice to kill you, you don't give him the satisfaction to choose your own method of death.

(And to answer the question you wanted to ask: I chose drowning. That way I live a little longer and I die fighting.
Wait ... That wasn't the question you wanted to ask either, is it?)

Moonjuice

In the time of chimpanzees I was a monkey
The same place that he's always heading - God bashing! ...and all this in the name of love.
I’m not gonna defend this guys intentions, but if the flood story is literally true, I’m pretty sure your God drowned the entire human population, including elderly, toddlers, disabled people….everyone. Bringing it up isn’t bashing. If you believe it, you should say it with pride. YES! The god I worship has murdered millions more human beings than all the worlds worst serial killers combined. It’s nice to be #1.

DNB

Christian
I’m not gonna defend this guys intentions, but if the flood story is literally true, I’m pretty sure your God drowned the entire human population, including elderly, toddlers, disabled people….everyone. Bringing it up isn’t bashing. If you believe it, you should say it with pride. YES! The god I worship has murdered millions more human beings than all the worlds worst serial killers combined. It’s nice to be #1.
I've seen a few of Rawshak's post, he's always God bashing, as he is doing here. That is what I meant primarily.
Yes, God killed the entire race at the time (3,000+- BC), except for eight people. The reason that I didn't attempt to defend God's actions because I can't always fathom His ways. Rawshak wanted an explanation as to why I might approve of God's decision, I couldn't offer him one so I didn't, despite still believing the drowning was the best choice.
I understand that the majority of the world's populace at that time, were extremely wicked. Offering their children up for sacrifice, murder and perversions, amongst countless other egregious and heinous crimes (I can't recall the source of this study). They defied God to His face, and mocked the love, life and extent of creation that He offered them, all for the sake of His love and no other reason.

He drowned them, I say good for Him - we all deserve this, including myself. It is only by His mercy and grace that He has spared some of us.

Hermit Philosopher

Selflessly here for you
The same place that he's always heading - God bashing! ...and all this in the name of love.

Greetings DNB

I don’t think I’d personally come across threads by Rawshak before …I may be wrong, my memory is not the best.

Later in the thread however, they did post a video that captured their concerns better, I felt:

Hi Herman this very short video may help understand what I am getting at.

Not sure I managed to reinsert it properly here, but anyhow:

Rawshak may (or may not) want to conclude that a certain view on God is irrational, but the interesting thing about the video in my opinion, is that the interviewer says he does not like that the interviewee “refuses” to give simple answers to his questions.

This suggests that the interviewer’s aim is not to understand where the interviewee is coming from in his reasoning, but rather to “bash” - as you say - on moral grounds (not logical ones, really, because to do that he’d have to hear and assess the interviewee’s refections first) his reasoning altogether.

Yet, by wanting “simple” answers, what the interviewer truly achieves is to trivialise his own questions. And that is a pity; because the questions are perhaps interesting and certainly could be complex, had he allowed them to be so.

I chose not myself to address the question of God in this thread, because my understanding of God’s essence differs too greatly from what is depicted here, but it is nonetheless interesting to see where these comments go…

Humbly
Hermit

RestlessSoul

Greetings DNB

I don’t think I’d personally come across threads by Rawshak before …I may be wrong, my memory is not the best.

Later in the thread however, they did post a video that captured their concerns better, I felt:

Not sure I managed to reinsert it properly here, but anyhow:

Rawshak may (or may not) want to conclude that a certain view on God is irrational, but the interesting thing about the video in my opinion, is that the interviewer says he does not like that the interviewee “refuses” to give simple answers to his questions.

This suggests that the interviewer’s aim is not to understand where the interviewee is coming from in his reasoning, but rather to “bash” - as you say - on moral grounds (not logical ones, really, because to do that he’d have to hear and assess the interviewee’s refections first) his reasoning altogether.

Yet, by wanting “simple” answers, what the interviewer truly achieves is to trivialise his own questions. And that is a pity; because the questions are perhaps interesting and certainly could be complex, had he allowed them to be so.

I chose not myself to address the question of God in this thread, because my understanding of God’s essence differs too greatly from what is depicted here, but it is nonetheless interesting to see where these comments go…

Humbly
Hermit

That reminds me of this clip, of the physicist Richard Feynman explaining why he can’t reply to a simple question about magnets with an equally simple answer…