• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pompous Prabhupada Propaganda

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe

told by Narendra Modi, so it must be really good ... ;)

Although I have read about the Indian government endorsing ISKCON, I have to admit that this level of endorsement is quite surprising to me. I am not aware of any other instance where an Indian or any other politician has positively endorsed a controversial group that is considered a "New Religious Movement" in the West. Perhaps it is a "clash of cultures" similar to that of the West with Islam, only on a much, much smaller scale.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

told by Narendra Modi, so it must be really good ... ;)

Although I have read about the Indian government endorsing ISKCON, I have to admit that this level of endorsement is quite surprising to me. I am not aware of any other instance where an Indian or any other politician has positively endorsed a controversial group that is considered a "New Religious Movement" in the West. Perhaps it is a "clash of cultures" similar to that of the West with Islam, only on a much, much smaller scale.
I am not hearing the voice of Modi anywhere actually.
They do look like those icky propaganda videos of fundamentalist sects in Christianity and Islam don't they?
One Iskon person is doing a Gita class in our residential area. I went there two or three times initially. Found it impossible to withstand after that. They are saying that the earth and this rebirth cycle was created as a a prison and punishment center for souls who have rebelled against God Krishna and He will let us out once we sincerely pray and repent...that is essential teaching of Gita! So you should pray constantly and donate for this gigantic Iskon temple that is about to come up in the city to get brownie points (sort of indirectly).

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
I am not hearing the voice of Modi anywhere actually.
They do look like those icky propaganda videos of fundamentalist sects in Christianity and Islam don't they?
One Iskon person is doing a Gita class in our residential area. I went there two or three times initially. Found it impossible to withstand after that. They are saying that the earth and this rebirth cycle was created as a a prison and punishment center for souls who have rebelled against God Krishna and He will let us out once we sincerely pray and repent...that is essential teaching of Gita! So you should pray constantly and donate for this gigantic Iskon temple that is about to come up in the city to get brownie points (sort of indirectly).

The way it was advertized I thought it was narrated by Mr Modi. :rolleyes: But well, I don't speak the language.

Anyway it was funny to see the tables turned, with Western barbarians and heathens in need of a missionary coming from India to save them. :D

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
They are saying that the earth and this rebirth cycle was created as a a prison and punishment center for souls who have rebelled against God Krishna

Dumb question: Unfortunately, I know but this version, :( so what does Hinduism actually teach about the "purpose" of this world?

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Dumb question: Unfortunately, I know but this version, :( so what does Hinduism actually teach about the "purpose" of this world?
To my best (and not infallible) understanding the creation is considered and aspect of God/Iswara's joyous creative expression. The word "leela" or "playful creative expression" is often used. The three characteristics of Brahman are considered to be
a) Sat - which is the basically Brahman as the essence of that which is True or Real
b) Chit which is basically Brahman as the foundation of all conscious awareness
c) Ananda which is basically "bliss" and continuous playful creativity is one expression of the bliss that is in Brahman. This is the Prakriti (Nature/Universe) aspect of Brahman. The other expression of bliss is continuous and complete self-awareness of its own completeness and unitarity which is the Purusha (Self or Atman) aspect of Brahman. These two together complete the bliss of Brahman.

Since the World, as a whole, is an aspect of Brahman, it has no purpose other than what it is: an expression of the bliss of Brahman. For the Brahman/God/Ultimate Reality is self-complete and is not "for" something else.

ajay0

The Dharmic religions talk about reincarnation and so do some Abrahamic religions like the Druze, Christian sects like the Cathars and Bogomils, and other religions in the world too like the Orphics,native European religions of the Celts, native American religions and so on. Western psychiatrists like Dr. Ian Stevenson, Dr. Brian Weiss , Dr. Jim Tucker and hypnotherapists like Dr. Michael Newton have created a huge body of work and compelling evidence supporting reincarnation, even though their religious background does not have the teaching of reincarnation.

The 'purpose' of the world of the world, as per Hinduism, is to gain Sreyas (spiritual prosperity) and Preyas (material prosperity) and live like a Rajarshi or royal sage like the way Janaka, Rama,Sita, Krishna, Lahiri Mahasaya, lived. They were enlightened and at the same time materially prosperous.

Enlightenment enables one to be liberated from the karmic process of reincarnation and gain the infinite peace and bliss which is one's very nature or nature of the Self.

The nature of Maya is to make the human being endlessly interested in fleeting worldly pleasures of an ephemeral nature in his or her quest for permanent happiness, and thus not seek the bliss and joy of a permanent nature within one's own Self. It is like a beggar ignorantly sitting on a box of gold and diamonds, and begging for pennies in the hope of getting some hot soup or food to get rid of starvation.

"Happiness is inborn in the true Self. His search for happiness is an unconscious search for his true Self. The true Self is imperishable; therefore, when a man finds it, he finds a happiness which does not come to an end." ~ Ramana Maharshi

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
It varies from sect to sect. My personal view is that this world's purpose is as a classroom, for the soul's progress and eventual merger back to (Shiva) where it came form. In that sense, this world is perfect.

The general question, "What does Hinduism teach?" always has several answers, and that's why for outsiders unfamiliar with that very concept can find it overwhelming or confusing.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
To my best (and not infallible) understanding the creation is considered and aspect of God/Iswara's joyous creative expression. The word "leela" or "playful creative expression" is often used. The three characteristics of Brahman are considered to be
a) Sat - which is the basically Brahman as the essence of that which is True or Real
b) Chit which is basically Brahman as the foundation of all conscious awareness
c) Ananda which is basically "bliss" and continuous playful creativity is one expression of the bliss that is in Brahman. This is the Prakriti (Nature/Universe) aspect of Brahman. The other expression of bliss is continuous and complete self-awareness of its own completeness and unitarity which is the Purusha (Self or Atman) aspect of Brahman. These two together complete the bliss of Brahman.

Since the World, as a whole, is an aspect of Brahman, it has no purpose other than what it is: an expression of the bliss of Brahman. For the Brahman/God/Ultimate Reality is self-complete and is not "for" something else.
Isn't this more of a Samkhya perspective?

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Isn't this more of a Samkhya perspective?
You are correct. I think vaishnava theology and visita-advaita are more Samkhya influenced. So what I wrote would be, in my view, a more accurate way to think about purpose of the world from that pov . However, Samkhya would completely seperate purusha and prakriti. Here the world is still Brahman/Iswara in essence, but a mode (bhava) of Brahman.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
A standard answer I've heard more than a few times is to overcome ignorance of one's true nature. I'm not sure I'm very fond of this response personally.

I don't think the question can be answered from the perspective of transactional reality. It would be similar to you lying in bed dreaming and your dream character asking "what is the purpose of this dream?" while remaining ignorant of the fact that s/he is dreaming.

On this side of Maya, there is no answer. On the other side of Maya, there is no question. ;)

Last edited: