• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poll: Jesus - Liar, Lunatic, Lord, Legend or Lost?

What is Jesus?

• A Liar: He lied about being the son of God

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lost: He never existed and his story was created by other people

• Other: Explain your position below

• Total voters

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics

Lewis's trilemma - Wikipedia

I know, I know, there's a lot of threads out there that are already like this. But I wanted to make a specific poll that asks people this specific question. I am not looking to proselytize anyone. I am not even a Christian. There is a saying that Evangelicals using apologetics say that Jesus must be a liar, lunatic or lord. In accordance to The Friendly Atheist's video, I am also adding legend into the mix. And also lost, for people who believe that he never existed. And I'm also adding a resounding "other" option who don't like any of the other five options.

I see Jesus as a legend. I believe the movie Zeitgeist proved this. Zeitgeist can be found on YouTube for free, and it explains that the Jesus myth was not very uncommon. Even Confucius was once believed to be born immaculately, centuries after he died. I needed to add the idea that he was a legend, because I don't see him as the other three. Lost as an option seems fairly plausible option as well, but there seems to be more evidence that he did exist than not. The difference between legend and lost is a legend existed but stories were changed over time, whereas answering the poll with lost means you believe Jesus never existed.

TL;DR - What is Jesus? A lair, lunatic, lord, legend or lost? Or other? Let us know what you think below. And this is in debates, so feel free to debate each other on your belief of Jesus!

idea

Question Everything
Inspiration comes in many forms. It is easier to explore the morals of stories when not simultaneously debating historical accuracy.

Aesop's fables have more clearly taught morals than any set of scriptures.

Ella S.

*temp banned*
I voted "legend" although it's heavily erring towards "lost." I think it's very possible that Christianity is a sort of cargo cult and, if it isn't, it seems infeasible to find out which parts of the later myths were based in fact. We know basically nothing about the historical Jesus if there was one.

I only vote "legend" because I can't make a strong case that Jesus was purely a mythical invention, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
I voted "legend," although I could have voted for "lost" as well. As I explained in other threads on a similar topic, I believe that if a man named Yehoshua (Yeshua, Jesus) even existed during biblical times, then he was most likely just an ordinary human being and a popular religious teacher, and his devoted followers embellished a few stories about him as well as copied and adapted some Greek myths and attributed godlike traits to him. The embellished stories about him and the godlike myths about him were then spread to other regions of the world, where even more people believed them. Like other myths, some stories about Jesus were most likely disputed and modified to reflect the beliefs of various ethnic groups, like pagans. Personally, I don't believe that Jesus' savior story is any more credible than the other savior stories in Greek mythology and other ancient religions that predate Christianity and the Bible.

Viker

Häxan
Legend.

More specifically, an apotheosized figure based on a single person or multiple persons from a specific time period.

Viker

Häxan
I voted "legend," although I could have voted for "lost" as well. As I explained in other threads on a similar topic, I believe that if a man named Yehoshua (Yeshua, Jesus) even existed during biblical times, then he was most likely just an ordinary human being and a popular religious teacher, and his devoted followers embellished a few stories about him as well as copied and adapted some Greek myths and attributed godlike traits to him. The embellished stories about him and the godlike myths about him were then spread to other regions of the world, where even more people believed them. Like other myths, some stories about Jesus were most likely disputed and modified to reflect the beliefs of various ethnic groups, like pagans. Personally, I don't believe that Jesus' savior story is any more credible than the other savior stories in Greek mythology and other ancient religions that predate Christianity and the Bible.
Beat me to it. I just shortened up. :p

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I have to vote Legend too, given I'm not that interested enough to determine whether the person actually existed and/or conformed as to what many Christians believe about Jesus - if such is even possible. I just don't value history that much so as to believe we can ever get reliable evidence as to determining any truths concerning such figures. And it just seems much more plausible that what Christians believe might be based on a normal individual or perhaps something else, and this projected onto an individual in order to gather followers.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I voted "legend" although it's heavily erring towards "lost." I think it's very possible that Christianity is a sort of cargo cult and, if it isn't, it seems infeasible to find out which parts of the later myths were based in fact. We know basically nothing about the historical Jesus if there was one.

I only vote "legend" because I can't make a strong case that Jesus was purely a mythical invention, but it wouldn't surprise me.

I believe God does not speak mythically.

Muffled

Jesus in me

I believe one has to have a good imagination to believe that. The facts testify against your belief.