• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poll: is God worthy of worship?

Is God worthy of worship?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Question: Is God worthy of worship?

I say it depends on whether or not he loves us

I think that the only good reason for worshiping him is to do so out of love - rather than out of fear or as an attempt to appease him

I think that if he doesn't love me then there is no reason for me to love him.

And I don't know the whether he loves me or not or not:

I can see that it could be argued both ways!

So I've voted "don't know"

But what do you think?

Please share your reason :D

Gargovic Malkav

I worship Him because I love Him.
And no matter how unfair things seem to be at times, I believe He always knows better.
This helps me to not succumb to the evils in this world, and become like the things I hate.
I can't love anything and existence feels like a prison if I have no faith in the Source and Highest Absolute Ruler of all.

Nimos

But what do you think?

Assuming we are talking the biblical God?

In that case, no :)

Unless he could give an extremely good reason for why he did what he did. Assuming the biblical account is correct. I see no reason why anyone should/would worship something like that.

Sundance

pursuing the Divine Beloved
Premium Member
From my perspective, (in general) because of the simple fact that gods are such, they are worthy of worship. Just like with musicians, or sculptors, or teachers, or one’s parents, or one’s superiors at work, or politicians, it’s important to honor and respect these figures by virtue of their station.

As a bit of an aside, the gods are higher than us, in all respects. We may not understand the Divine Nature, or their Providential Will, or even agree with said Will, but we ought to give them their due honor and reverence (or at least, our humble respect).

Speaking to the Biblical God in particular, all of the above applies. Absolutely. Especially, because He is regarded as the Creator of all things in His Image and after His own likeness, and the Orchestrator of the Grand Symphony of the Cosmos. On top of these, it’s said of Him that He gives us humans a moral and ethical responsibility. Why would such a god not
be worthy of worship?

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member

I think that the only good reason for worshiping him is to do so out of love - rather than out of fear or as an attempt to appease him

But what do you think?

the awe of love is the beginning of wisdom

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

But what do you think?

No. If solely going off the bible, it's not something I want to base my life on. The biblical god gives a bad example of love by assuming those obedient to him are worthy of it, and those who sin are not. I don't see myself in that divide, so no.

With that, I don't feel anything and anyone is worthy of worship. I've never been one to sacrifice or surrender myself to a "greater" good. I don't believe there is such a thing. So, no.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

But what do you think?

Which God?

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I didn't vote. There are too many gods that come to mind, and the answer varies.

Please tell what do you think “worship” means?

Does it mean:

Pure religion [religious worship] and undefiled before our God and Father is this: to visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained by the world.
James 1:27

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Please tell what do you think “worship” means?

Does it mean:

Pure religion [religious worship] and undefiled before our God and Father is this: to visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained by the world.
James 1:27
The word "worship" comes from the Old English word weorthscipe meaning "an acknowledgement of worth".