• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Police Encounter: No Parking Zone

Curious George

Veteran Member
Looking back over this thread gives us an interesting view of society. The responses reflect how different people think over something so trivial. For example:

1. Some people agree that cops are justified in doing things like parking where I did, because of the necessity for a faster response time if an emergency call goes out. This seems reasonable to most people, especially if they were the one that dialed 9-1-1.

2. Others chastise cops for parking in those areas, and would instead tell us to eat somewhere else, or park in a legal area even though it slows our response time down, which in turn can get people killed. In other words, to hell with the citizens that need you asap, you need to park appropriately.

3. There are those that are indifferent and couldn't care less either way. They have more important things to worry about.

Most people fall into category #1 or #3.
Though I am not a fan of many police officers reactions, I think you handled the situation exceptionally well.

I'm not sure which category of the above I would fall. I don't think that you would take the blame if you due to your own negligence or apathy took a longer response time than necessary to respond to a break in at my house and as a consequence, my wife was raped. So, evoking a privilege based on a matter which police would deny they have a duty to fulfill is, IMHO, a poor argument.

Now, people park illegally all the time. I would hope that you have the training to survey the area for potential hazards, and would have parked there only if little to none existed. I also would hope that if you were wrong, both you and the department would take financial and social responsibility.

I don't have the training or financial backing of the city, so I would expect you to ticket me if I did the same.

However, I would expect that if you saw me break some minor law when no reasonable consequence could cause harm, (perhaps I took up two parking spots in front of a Chinese restaurant at a time when many more spaces equidistant or closer to said restaurant were vacant), you probably wouldn't bust my balls. So, public should not bust the balls of their servants when they do likewise.

As an officer, you must on countless situations observe people engaging in infractions where you use discretion to let them go. Where an officer parks is likely an instance where the public should let go.

More impressive, was your not jumping to a quick, "listen bub, I can park wherever I think I need to park," and becoming agitated that the person was not acting how you wanted.

I think it is important that officers realize that people are often frustrated with the police. This comes from both a history of corruption, violence, and avoidance of responsibility within the police force, media distortion and spotlighting, and also personal experiences wherein officers acted crappy. Sure there are many times when officers are provoked but there are also many times wherein officers provoke.

Awareness of these feelings, whether such feelings are truly justified or not, gives perspective. So, while I think it is silly to pester an officer or get up in arms over a parking choice that created no danger, I think it is important for officers to understand why some people do get upset. I think not responding like a person on a power trip is essential to destroying the notion that you parked there because you were on a power trip.

Good job.