• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pls Help?

Runewolf1973

Materialism/Animism
Wodan9, it is good to have you here! Odin hung from the World Tree, not the German tree as far as I recall. Odin welcomes ALL the world and ALL those in it. Good to know you sir.:)

Zephyr

Moved on
I'm certain you could find a group somewhere, just don't expect most Folkish groups to be so accepting.

Also, if you do find a group, be careful. There are a lot of generic neopagans out there masquerading as Heathens. I found this out the hard way.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
Although I wouldn't take an exclusivistic approach to the same extent as Zephyr does, because I personally believe that we as individual social beings can emerse ourselves into other cultures and gain a new cultural identity, I certainly agree with him that there needs to be a display of Germanic cultural continuity and consistency from those presenting themselves as following a Norse, Heathern or Asatru path. Otherwise it simply isn't that, it is Neo-Paganism.

Those Germanic cultures were wide spread and there was a lot going on, so granted there is space for a certain amount of interpritation, individuality and creativity within that context, there is a fairly clear enough context that one can step outside of. Belief in reincarnation and belief in Odin as some sort of universal, all encompasing ultimate Deity are both most certainly outside of that context.

There are enough groups of Heatherns, Pagans etc for most people to find a group that suits them, but Wodan9, I don't think a group specifically following and dedicated to the folk traditions of old Germanic culture is somewhere you would be able to call home.

Runewolf1973

Materialism/Animism
Although I wouldn't take an exclusivistic approach to the same extent as Zephyr does, because I personally believe that we as individual social beings can emerse ourselves into other cultures and gain a new cultural identity, I certainly agree with him that there needs to be a display of Germanic cultural continuity and consistency from those presenting themselves as following a Norse, Heathern or Asatru path. Otherwise it simply isn't that, it is Neo-Paganism.

Those Germanic cultures were wide spread and there was a lot going on, so granted there is space for a certain amount of interpritation, individuality and creativity within that context, there is a fairly clear enough context that one can step outside of. Belief in reincarnation and belief in Odin as some sort of universal, all encompasing ultimate Deity are both most certainly outside of that context.

There are enough groups of Heatherns, Pagans etc for most people to find a group that suits them, but Wodan9, I don't think a group specifically following and dedicated to the folk traditions of old Germanic culture is somewhere you would be able to call home.

I can see your point of view. Perhaps my beliefs are Universal as such. That is why I don't adhere to one specific tradition or culture. My beliefs extend beyond the Dark Ages. That is why I consider myself a follower of Animism. Animism is a belief in spirits, and aspects of it are found in pretty much all cultures around the globe. I don't see anything "neo" about a belief in spirits. But that's just my perspective, I can appreciate yours. Thanks.

Last edited:

ryynänen47

Little Old Heathen Lady
Hello People

While I was seeking spirituality, a bloke told me about Vanatru. I've never heard of it before and I started learning about it. Then I met some Asatruars and learned about it. I admired the virtues and stories about the Aesir and Vanir, but I didn't consider becoming a Heathen then because I am of mixed heritages. Fast forward a few years and a LOT of soul-searching, I knew that Asatru was for me. I'm still learning me way about-as they say Asatru is the pathway with homework-but I feel a connection with the Northern European part of my heritage. Asatru resonates more with me than say, Yoruba or African-based spirituality.

I have no problem with the Folkish people because I understand their point, which is Asatru is a tribal religion, like Shinto or Native American spirituality. I look at it that way as well.

Hail the Aesir; Hail the Vanir,

Ryynänen47 :cool:

Last edited:

rageoftyrael

Veritas
??? what are you guys talking about? What do you mean when you say heathen? Cause usually when i hear the word heathen, it is associated with someone who is a disbeliever(like myself) or someone who believes in the wrong god, but i'm sensing it actually is a label for you guys, beyond how i just explained it. Kay, i'm curious, i'm mostly german, with a little bit of this and that, nothing else particularly significant, maybe a little bit of irish. Where would that put me in your religion? Like what part?

Zephyr

Moved on
??? what are you guys talking about? What do you mean when you say heathen? Cause usually when i hear the word heathen, it is associated with someone who is a disbeliever(like myself) or someone who believes in the wrong god, but i'm sensing it actually is a label for you guys, beyond how i just explained it. Kay, i'm curious, i'm mostly german, with a little bit of this and that, nothing else particularly significant, maybe a little bit of irish. Where would that put me in your religion? Like what part?

Heathen, as in a adherent of Germanic Paganism. A lot of us prefer "Heathen" to "Pagan" as the latter is usually associated with neopagan movements such as Wicca, which we actually have few similarities with.

And even if you're folk, you're not a Heathen unless you're a Heathen, like how being Arab doesn't automatically make you a Muslim.