• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Please help a student in need, I want to know what you think about Secularism

Myhatzulu

Please tell me your religion

Do you believe different religious perspectives affect the way an individual views Secularism?

If so, how have these religions responded to being under a non-religious government?
Have they reformed themselves to be better suited to the surrounding secularism or instead refused change?

Does your religion intertwine with how you see society and the government?
When have there been times where your religion strongly conflicted with modern culture and/or the surrounding secularism

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member

Baha'i Faith

Do you believe different religious perspectives affect the way an individual views Secularism?

Yes. Some religions like the Baha'i Faith view some of it positively in that it is a necessity of casting out beliefs and doctrines that no longer relate to the modern age. Democracy is part of our religion for example. Other religions view secularism extremely negatively and with antagonism.

f so, how have these religions responded to being under a non-religious government?

I think its the reality of day to day life that we all adjust to no matter what Faith we are in the West. Some religious groups isolate themselves and are reclusive.

Have they reformed themselves to be better suited to the surrounding secularism or instead refused change?

Some have, some haven't. The Baha'i Faith is a relatively modern religion that emerged from Persia in the nineteenth century. Most of our principles such as the equality of men and women, the oneness of humanity, social justice etc are very in sync with modernity. We cop a bit of criticism from left leaning liberals for values such no sex before marriage which is between a man and a woman and no alcohol.

Baha'is are generally supportive and obedient to governments and consort in a spirit of love and fellowship with peoples of all faiths.

When have there been times where your religion strongly conflicted with modern culture and/or the surrounding secularism

We have never conflicted strongly with any government. We avoid directly involving ourselves with bipartisan politics of government. :)

Hope that helps.

All the best with your assignment.

PureX

Veteran Member

If so, how have these religions responded to being under a non-religious government?

You need better questions.

How do you define secularism? Is it a philosophical ideology? Is it a collection of social expectations? Is it a form of legality?
How do you define religion? How do you differentiate religion from the various and unique people engaged in it? How does religion maintain it's integrity while still respecting the individuality of it's participants?
Should religions evolve with their respective societies? How do religions evolve and remain tolerant while still claiming to be the expressions of an absolute truth?
What should a society do to protect itself when it finds it has been 'infected' by an extremist, intolerant, and anti-social religion? What can it do?

Liu

Religion: Satanism

Most of us are pro-secularism.
Satanism is very much about personal freedom, and therefore opposed to any one religion being privileged by the government.

The Satanistic organization that most publicly fights for secularism is The Satanic Temple.
They for example engage in lawsuits against governmental organizations that discriminate against them.

Also, being a Satanist in a theocracy is pretty risky.
Well, there are certainly some of us that would actually prefer that since they consider it helpful for their personal development to put themselves in dangerous situations, but by and large that would be the exception.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Mu