• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Please Explain: "Gay Christian"

NewGuyOnTheBlock

Cult Survivor/Fundamentalist Pentecostal Apostate
Do you realize that neither Socrates or Plato taught us that we should not throw rocks at people? But that was a Jesus and Buddha thing?

“Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.”

“Every action has its pleasures and its price.”

“Do not do to others what angers you if done to you by others.”

“Envy is the ulcer of the soul.”

“One should never do wrong in return, nor mistreat any man, no matter how one has been mistreated by him.”

“The easiest and noblest way is not to be crushing others, but to be improving yourselves. ”

“My friend...care for your psyche...know thyself, for once we know ourselves, we may learn how to care for ourselves"

https://www.goodreads.com/author/quotes/275648.Socrates?page=1

The basis of morality has always been there, waiting to be discovered by the sages and the wise. No law giver ever necessary.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Not gay, but I don't think that fundamentalists and those who think the Bible is literal and inerrant define who can be a Christian and who can't. A gay Christian is simply a Christian who is gay.

McNap

I'm bisexual. I'm also an ex-Christian. In the past, I've tried my hardest to reconcile the two together, but I found it impossible. We're just not welcome there. Even if you consider the Old Testament irrelevant, Paul still made some pretty harsh comments about them in the New Testament as well. He made it pretty clear that we are "abominations." You can't just pretend that those verses don't exist, because they do. I just take them with a grain of salt though, because I'm not Christian.

Thank you for saying this.
I think I left church for the fact that they are refusing homosexuals, gliders, witches, etc., but I continued my faith outside.
I know that Paul said men are not supposed to sleep with men, but none of us can deny that God created homosexuals and I believe that guys like you are special.
I think homosexuality is only a sin when you do it without love (as I did, for I'm straight), so you shouldn't commit adultary on your partner. Or stay with your partner when you know you don't love him. Or let him pay in some way for the seks you're offering.
I hope you find your way back to Jesus, man!

McNap

Evidently Jesus' view was transmitted through human writers of the Bible.

At Corinthians 6:9,10 it reads...
9 Or do you not know that unrighteous people will not inherit God’s Kingdom? Do not be misled. Those who are sexually immoral, idolaters, adulterers, men who submit to homosexual acts, men who practice homosexuality, 10 thieves, greedy people, drunkards, revilers, and extortioners will not inherit God’s Kingdom. 11 And yet that is what some of you were. But you have been washed clean; you have been sanctified; you have been declared righteous in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and with the spirit of our God.

May I draw your attention to verse 11 which says..."that is what some of you were". So it appears that an individual would stop such practices and exercise faith in the sacrifice of Jesus.

We now know that gay boys are not going to love girls unless they are healed by the hand of God, so I find it inhuman that sexually active people should stop sexuallity at all.
It's also wrong to say a gay boy should marry a girl, because I wouldn't want to marry a lesbian girl when I know she doesn't take joy of the seks we have.

When someone is a virgin you may steer him to stay a virgin, but we all know there is no way back to celibacy once we are sexually active.

So what do we do with homosexuals who repent only after becoming sexually active?

Sees

Dragonslayer
I'm so glad we all know that now.

Same thing I was thinking.

Wondering about the trend with some of our new Euro Christian friends posting unusual, doubtful/highly unlikely statements in such a way that it seems certainly true and obvious. :confused:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Could you provide evidence that their views were so different?

There's no one "Roman view" on Greek influence, but if you want to see some of the most extreme anti-Greek views, Google Cato the Elder. He condemned Greek philosophy, ethics, and society (including sexual practices) to the point of trying to prohibit Greek doctors from Rome.

Drolefille

PolyPanGeekGirl
Same thing I was thinking.

Wondering about the trend with some of our new Euro Christian friends posting unusual, doubtful/highly unlikely statements in such a way that it seems certainly true and obvious. :confused:

Yeah, there's a pattern here I'm noticing. Personally it's making me suspect there are fewer new "friends" than appear.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Thank you for saying this.
I think I left church for the fact that they are refusing homosexuals, gliders, witches, etc., but I continued my faith outside.
I know that Paul said men are not supposed to sleep with men, but none of us can deny that God created homosexuals and I believe that guys like you are special.
I think homosexuality is only a sin when you do it without love (as I did, for I'm straight), so you shouldn't commit adultary on your partner. Or stay with your partner when you know you don't love him. Or let him pay in some way for the seks you're offering.
I hope you find your way back to Jesus, man!

Paul was condemning pagan sex rites that were popular in mother goddess religions that were all over the Greco-Roman world and that Christians butted heads with, not homosexual sex in general.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
We now know that gay boys are not going to love girls unless they are healed by the hand of God, so I find it inhuman that sexually active people should stop sexuallity at all.
It's also wrong to say a gay boy should marry a girl, because I wouldn't want to marry a lesbian girl when I know she doesn't take joy of the seks we have.

When someone is a virgin you may steer him to stay a virgin, but we all know there is no way back to celibacy once we are sexually active.

So what do we do with homosexuals who repent only after becoming sexually active?

Homosexuality isn't something that needs to be "healed". There's nothing in the Bible about committed gay relationships. They were only discussed in the context of condemning pagan sex rites, pederasty, etc. that don't have anything to do with modern gay relationships between adults.

Thruve

Sheppard for the Die Hard
Im a gay christian. I ignore what any pastor says. I ignore what my father said. I ignore what the world says. Do that and you'll begin to see the truth xP

Man has been engaging sexually with other men since our conception. Only today has society turned it into a 'Minority Group' for a dam near electoral vote. It's turned from an act to a lifestyle. Its RIDICULOUS. I'ts sad. It is what it is, however.

Now, in reference to my perception of Christianity through my eyes as a 'gay' male, I tell myself that I have a choice to either conform to what the world says and indulge in this role as a 'gay' male, or I can realize the truth that it is dam near normal for men to want to sexually engage with other men, to overcome it, and live a simple 'heterosexual lifestyle'. I on the other hand made a choice to not fight a battle that 'has already been won', that if my path in life, the life of a present day gay male, is what I choose, then God simply has to deal with it =) But... I know God is loving, and has arms as wide as any, and therefore I chose to believe that He would/will use me to reach other gay males out there that A) need my help, or B) can help me. And 'God' has done just that =) Ive met gay males, especially during my 'whorish' phase that redirected me to a better path, and hes also thrown other gay males/lovers/companions in my life that have benefited from me to which I returned the favor. God has become an idol, to a companion, to an enemy, to m best friend. Our relationship (if he exists -.-) is quite complicated xP Especially when I look up with desire in my heart 0-0 because theres been things he made me suffer for' for years, only to find that one day it was given to me like nothing.. then to find soon after it was stripped away from me. I dont know if anyone here knows what its like to suffer over something youv've lacked FOR SO LONG, only to one day find yourself with it, as you indulge in it, sin, indulge some more, then suddenly find it stripped from you like it was nothing. You want to talk about being mentally trapped? You want to talk about mentally experiencing hell? That is hell =) Been there and back, but through it all, as a gay male, I NEVER stopped looking up. God has served his purpose in my life whether he really is real or not. His existence in my mind has gotten me through what I found many people commit suicide over.

My BEST advice to other gay males out there battling God or their religion/loved ones over the fact that your identifier is being gay, IGNORE words. Ignore them. Ignore your Pastor talking out of his butt, Ignore your family who are unwise depending on their views on homosexuality, and most importantly.. Ignore the world.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
It's just a hoot isn't it?

The people who don't know about sexual orientation, the age of the planet, why slavery is flat out evil, or climate change....
Will tell you all about The Creator, Ethics, and the Afterlife!

I have to laugh or I'd get violent.

Tom
People didn't know about sexual orientation until the DSM-IV was published in 1994. We didn't know about the age of the planet until after the development of television. Some developed nations still practice slavery. Some in the U.S. government still deny climate change. The development of these concepts have little to do with the theological imagination presented in the bible.

sojourner

I'm not one to usually bring up the whole "slippery slope" idea, but if that one specific part of the Bible is wrong due to fallible humans, then what other parts could have also been fallibly written? The divinity of Jesus? The Resurrection? His Ascension into Heaven? The very idea of God's existence itself? How do you determine what parts of it are true and which parts are not without simply picking the parts you want to be true?
The issue isn't the factual veracity of the bible, but how it inspires us to find meaning within the cosmos and our life experiences.

sojourner

Im a gay christian. I ignore what any pastor says. I ignore what my father said. I ignore what the world says. Do that and you'll begin to see the truth xP

Man has been engaging sexually with other men since our conception. Only today has society turned it into a 'Minority Group' for a dam near electoral vote. It's turned from an act to a lifestyle. Its RIDICULOUS. I'ts sad. It is what it is, however.

Now, in reference to my perception of Christianity through my eyes as a 'gay' male, I tell myself that I have a choice to either conform to what the world says and indulge in this role as a 'gay' male, or I can realize the truth that it is dam near normal for men to want to sexually engage with other men, to overcome it, and live a simple 'heterosexual lifestyle'. I on the other hand made a choice to not fight a battle that 'has already been won', that if my path in life, the life of a present day gay male, is what I choose, then God simply has to deal with it =) But... I know God is loving, and has arms as wide as any, and therefore I chose to believe that He would/will use me to reach other gay males out there that A) need my help, or B) can help me. And 'God' has done just that =) Ive met gay males, especially during my 'whorish' phase that redirected me to a better path, and hes also thrown other gay males/lovers/companions in my life that have benefited from me to which I returned the favor. God has become an idol, to a companion, to an enemy, to m best friend. Our relationship (if he exists -.-) is quite complicated xP Especially when I look up with desire in my heart 0-0 because theres been things he made me suffer for' for years, only to find that one day it was given to me like nothing.. then to find soon after it was stripped away from me. I dont know if anyone here knows what its like to suffer over something youv've lacked FOR SO LONG, only to one day find yourself with it, as you indulge in it, sin, indulge some more, then suddenly find it stripped from you like it was nothing. You want to talk about being mentally trapped? You want to talk about mentally experiencing hell? That is hell =) Been there and back, but through it all, as a gay male, I NEVER stopped looking up. God has served his purpose in my life whether he really is real or not. His existence in my mind has gotten me through what I found many people commit suicide over.

My BEST advice to other gay males out there battling God or their religion/loved ones over the fact that your identifier is being gay, IGNORE words. Ignore them. Ignore your Pastor talking out of his butt, Ignore your family who are unwise depending on their views on homosexuality, and most importantly.. Ignore the world.
My best advice as a member of the clergy is to find a faith community that listens to scientific evidence and reason more than the popular "interpretations" of biblical morality, and accepts people where they are and for who they are. Thankfully, the mainline Protestant church is catching up with science and reason. There are many communities that are fully affirming and inclusive.