• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Please Boycott Russian Oil!

Are you going to boycott Russian made goods??

• Yes.

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • No.

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Maybe/Unsure.

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Actually it would have. Oil is a fungible commodity. It would have reduced oil importation from overseas suppliers, including Russia.

No, again, it would not have. The intent of the Keystone pipeline was to increase production for export to othet countries. Meaning it would not be oil consumed by Americans.

Renewables are a red herring to the question. The case for renewables is valid regardless from whence our current oil is supplied. The point is does the US want its oil coming from Canada or Russia.

If we reduce our need for oil overall, how is that not relevant to oil imports? Obviously it's relevant.

Shaul

Premium Member
No, again, it would not have. The intent of the Keystone pipeline was to increase production for export to othet countries. Meaning it would not be oil consumed by Americans.

If we reduce our need for oil overall, how is that not relevant to oil imports? Obviously it's relevant.
Your statement is based on assumptions, speculation and conjecture. It is not possible to state that Keystone oil production would not be used domestically.

Reducing oil imports is irrelevant to the question of where we import whatever oil we do import comes from. Importing oil from Canada is more environmentally friendly than importing it from Russia.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Your statement is based on assumptions, speculation and conjecture. It is not possible to state that Keystone oil production would not be used domestically.

Yes, I'm sorry, but it is. I didn't say, incidentally, that none of the oil transported through it would be used domestically. But the majority would be for export.

Reducing oil imports is irrelevant to the question of where we import whatever oil we do import comes from. Importing oil from Canada is more environmentally friendly than importing it from Russia.

The reason we need to import oil is because we...still need oil as an energy source. Ergo, if we don't need oil as an energy source, we won't need to worry about importing any. That you're straining to miss this is...odd.

Also, the tar sands oil from Canada is notoriously environmentally unfriendly.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I oppose Russia's military campaign against Ukraine. I drive an electric vehicle. My home power grid source is from nuclear energy. I am not buying any Russian oil so as to avoid aiding Russia with funding its military campaign against Ukraine. Please let us each do our part with not helping fund the Russian military invasion of Ukraine.
I doubt that would happen in there are no alternatives.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
It would hurt us, too. China is not a business. It's a country currently run by a nationalist who has ostensibly allied himself with another nationalist.
Yeah, but if they cut us off they cut off their own money and get a pebble tossed in cogs of their economy. It may just be the 21st Century version of MAD. We don't but from China and we don't have much to buy, but if China doesn't sell to us it's a major loss to business.
It's a real nasty mess that free trade agreements have put us in.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
The reason we need to import oil is because we...still need oil as an energy source. Ergo, if we don't need oil as an energy source, we won't need to worry about importing any. That you're straining to miss this is...odd.
I don't get how anyone is still straining to miss this. Fossil fuels are the fuels of the Industrial Revolution. We live in the dawn of an Age of Technology. We need to quit being anchored to the past.

Shaul

Premium Member
Yes, I'm sorry, but it is. I didn't say, incidentally, that none of the oil transported through it would be used domestically. But the majority would be for export.

Also, the tar sands oil from Canada is notoriously environmentally unfriendly.
Because buying Russian oil to finance blowing up the Ukraine is much more friendly for the environment.