• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pity and Guilt: Yet Two More Reasons Creationism is Ridiculous

rusra02

Premium Member
Pity and guilt. Pity is ugly and guilt is useless. If a god really had designed and created us, we would experience neither emotion. Only a god created by us in our own image could endorse either pity or guilt.

Thoughts? Please discuss!
I think the opposite is true. If we are just animals, "evolved" from lower life forms, why do we feel pity or guilt? I think many find pity a beautiful quality, and feelings of guilt restrain at least some people from committing heinous crimes, and are thus quite useful. While the true God never feels guilt, he often feels pity for people.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Pity and guilt. Pity is ugly and guilt is useless. If a god really had designed and created us, we would experience neither emotion. Only a god created by us in our own image could endorse either pity or guilt.

I am not making sense of these questions. They almost argue that humans have evolved for more complex things than biological survival. Pity shows empathy for other living things. Guilt is useful if it provokes change.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I wouldn't disagree with it. I would just say that you have no way of knowing that and that the proper position is one of agnosticism.
I can't ever tell if you have a sophisticated wry sense of humor, or if we just don't understand each other.

jac

Evolution is all about survival. To survive to show neither pity nor guilt. If you are not strong enough you do not survive nor do you allow a weaker member to endanger you. You show them no pity and do not feel guilty about getting rid of them. So from my view point emotions such as these would only be caused by a creator.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Evolution is all about survival. To survive to show neither pity nor guilt. If you are not strong enough you do not survive nor do you allow a weaker member to endanger you. You show them no pity and do not feel guilty about getting rid of them. So from my view point emotions such as these would only be caused by a creator.

Thank you so much for that string of garbled misinformation regarding evolutionary psychology. In a day and age when googling up better information about evolution is practically painless, your post is shameful.

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
It's a lot like borrowing one of Trump's mirrors,
everything is right side up, but it doesn't make sense !
Where's the smoke anyways ?
~
Humans in general prevent their own evolution,
in my thoughts, we feed the wrong wolves !
~
'mud

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
That's the cool part about being a social animal - We don't have to be strong enough on our own because we are so much stronger as a group, and our working as a group is partly was has allowed us to thrive and flourish. For us, evolution didn't make us isolationist like a snake, a tiger, or a shark, but rather our survival is dependent upon social bonds. Even our forerunners the Neanderthals took care of those who less physically capable, and those people likely contributed as they could.

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
Like this thought:
".... but rather our survival is dependent upon social bonds."
from:"Shadow"....and I like shadows, especially the quiet ones,
and I really like it.
~
'mud

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate

Pre Christian Romans felt no guilt or pity for the innocent people they watched torn apart for amusement, in great stadiums built for this purpose, similarly for Aztecs/ Omecs etc

Pity and guilt were ugly and useless of course, ... from the perspective of the spectators.

But can you at least appreciate more than one perspective here?

CreeperHugger

This is a great question! This is probably one of the first things a lot of Atheists ask, but the answer is pretty simple. According to Christianity, God let Adam and Eve eat from any tree except the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, man sinned, and God punished them by banning them from the garden, this is how I believe evil, sorrow, and bad things as a whole came along.