• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Picture of Mars vs. the earth. So how did Moses know?

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
That was another book by him. The Historicity of the Patriarchal Narratives was the first big work

The Historicity of the Patriarchal Narratives - Wikipedia
I looked at the description in wikipedia, thank you for providing the link. Despite the assertions of the author as quoted, if does not prove from that description that Abraham, Isaac and Jacob did NOT exist as spoken of in the Scriptures.

YoursTrue

I think I asked if you know of any books, compendium of books, said to have been written by residents or members of their religious culture over 1500 years speaking of their particular .history.
@joelr (P.S.) I'm talking of historical continuing narrative, starting from one point in time and continuing in contextual historical account with succession of kings, for instance, for over 1,000 years. To @joelr -- what books written by those documenting what happened to the group of people can you present? Just asking...

joelr

You say these people (the Israelites) came from Canaan peacefully. Where are you getting your information from?

That is the position of modern biblical archaeologists. Exodus has no evidence and is incredibly unlikely but there is evidence Israel emerged peacefully from Canaan.

"Based on the archaeological evidence, according to the modern archaeological account, the Israelites and their culture did not overtake the region by force, but instead branched out of the indigenous Canaanite peoples that long inhabited the Southern Levant, Syria, ancient Israel, and the Transjordan region[13][14][15] through a gradual evolution of a distinct monolatristic (later monotheistic) religion centered on Yahweh. The outgrowth of Yahweh-centric monolatrism from Canaanite polytheism started with Yahwism, the belief in the exi.."
  1. Tubb 1998, pp. 13–14.
  2. ^ Jump up to:a b McNutt 1999, p. 47.
  3. ^ K. L. Noll, Canaan and Israel in Antiquity: An Introduction, A&C Black, 2001 p. 164: "It would seem that, in the eyes of Merneptah's artisans, Israel was a Canaanite group indistinguishable from all other Canaanite groups." "It is likely that Merneptah's Israel was a group of Canaanites located in the Jezreel Valley."

"
THE ORIGINS OF ISRAEL
Q: What have archeologists learned from these settlements about the early Israelites? Are there signs that the Israelites came in conquest, taking over the land from Canaanites?

Dever: The settlements were founded not on the ruins of destroyed Canaanite towns but rather on bedrock or on virgin soil. There was no evidence of armed conflict in most of these sites. Archeologists also have discovered that most of the large Canaanite towns that were supposedly destroyed by invading Israelites were either not destroyed at all or destroyed by "Sea People"—Philistines, or others.

So gradually the old conquest model [based on the accounts of Joshua's conquests in the Bible] began to lose favor amongst scholars. Many scholars now think that most of the early Israelites were originally Canaanites, displaced Canaanites, displaced from the lowlands, from the river valleys, displaced geographically and then displaced ideologically.

So what we are dealing with is a movement of peoples but not an invasion of an armed corps from the outside. A social and economic revolution, if you will, rather than a military revolution. And it begins a slow process in which the Israelites distinguish themselves from their Canaanite ancestors, particularly in religion—with a new deity, new religious laws and customs, new ethnic markers, as we would call them today.

NOVA | The Bible's Buried Secrets | Archeology of the Hebrew Bible | PBS

joelr

I think I asked if you know of any books, compendium of books, said to have been written by residents or members of their religious culture over 1500 years speaking of their particular .history.

Hinduism has several texts. The one that deals with history is the Puranas - The Puranic literature is encyclopedic, and it includes diverse topics such as cosmogony, cosmology, genealogies of gods, goddesses, kings, heroes, sages, and demigods, folk tales, pilgrimages, temples, medicine, astronomy, grammar, mineralogy, humor, love stories, as well as theology and philosophy.

joelr

I looked at the description in wikipedia, thank you for providing the link. Despite the assertions of the author as quoted, if does not prove from that description that Abraham, Isaac and Jacob did NOT exist as spoken of in the Scriptures.

It demonstrates they were ahistorical. The legends were written way later based on writing styles and events that were known about. You would have to read it to know the details. It's thought a Moses figure may have existed but the Biblical Moses did not. Most of the stories about him are from other myths.

William G. Dever (2001). What Did the Biblical Writers Know and When Did They Know It?: What Archeology Can Tell Us About the Reality of Ancient Israel. Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing. p. 99. ISBN 978-0-8028-2126-3. A Moses-like figure may have existed somewhere in southern Transjordan in the mid-late 13th century s.c., where many scholars think the biblical traditions concerning the god Yahweh arose.
  1. Assmann, Jan (1998-10-15). Moses the Egyptian. Harvard University Press. pp. 2, 11. ISBN 978-0-674-58739-7. We cannot be sure Moses ever lived because there are not traces of his existence outside the tradition" (p.2) "I shall not even ask the question—let alone, answer it—whether Moses was an Egyptian, or a Hebrew, or a Midianite. This question concerns the historical Moses and thus pertains to history. I am concerned with Moses as a figure of memory. As a figure of memory, Moses the Egyptian is radically different from Moses the Hebrew or the Biblical Moses.

Miller II, Robert D. (25 November 2013). Illuminating Moses: A History of Reception from Exodus to the Renaissance. BRILL. pp. 21, 24. ISBN 978-90-04-25854-9. Van Seters concluded, 'The quest for the historical Moses is a futile exercise. He now belongs only to legend.' ... "None of this means that there is not a historical Moses and that the tales do not include historical information. But in the Pentateuch, history has become memorial. Memorial revises history, reifies memory, and makes myth out of history.

1. Dever, William (November 17, 2008). "Archeology of the Hebrew Bible". Nova. PBS. Moses" is an Egyptian name. Some of the other names in the narratives are Egyptian, and there are genuine Egyptian elements. But no one has found a text or an artifact in Egypt itself or even in the Sinai that has any direct connection. That doesn't mean it didn't happen. But I think it does mean what happened was rather more modest. And the biblical writers have enlarged the story.

joelr

@joelr (P.S.) I'm talking of historical continuing narrative, starting from one point in time and continuing in contextual historical account with succession of kings, for instance, for over 1,000 years. To @joelr -- what books written by those documenting what happened to the group of people can you present? Just asking...

One man, Tolkien, created a creation story with a race of Gods just to lead up to a massive epic covering thousands of years with fictive bloodlines from several races and deities and wars, adventures and so on.
This doesn't make something real.

Egyptian history spans 30 centuries of kings, wars, stories, gods, some Gods were even placed in history and had complete historical tales told about them. Osirus was one. Romulus was a Roman version of that.

All cultures document the things you are asking? Why do yoiu think we have vast details about every Roman leader or. every Persian leader?

Brian2

Veteran Member
Did you just accuse someone of circular reasoning, a logical fallacy, then suggest we should consider a fictional demigod character might have really been predicting the future??????????? Instead of realizing Mark is writing about a person who is predicting something? If this was done in any other situation, if a history book said Hercules predicted the future and the book was dated by that you would think they were crazy?

I did not say to date the gospels by the prediction about the Temple destruction. You are the one who says that but of course when you say it it is perfectly fine, nothing crazy about it.
And you make it look reasonable by making up something about a fictional demigod, again putting the conclusion before the assessment, more circular reasoning.

There is no evidence gospel Jesus is real. There is no historical accounts of supernatural events. There are thousands of supernatural events written in fiction. There is no evidence that any of that is real or possible. This story is written exactly like fiction. Historians are not trying to decide how magical Jesus was. They are trying to decide if a real man existed who the fictional narratives were based on.

I hear from the real historians that they know Jesus existed and that the mythicists are wrong.

If the Jesus story contained all sorts of literal predictions like E=Mc2 and explained calculus, the universe, germs, atoms, maybe that line of thinking would be used. But dying/rising demigods who undergo a passion and get baptized members into an afterlife are older myths already used many times by the Jewish version. Then, he does the same miracles already done in myths. This is fiction. Mark knew the temple was destroyed.

You take a literal prediction which happened and claim that means it was not true. Now you say, "Oh just give us a literal prediction and we will believe it."
Luke says he got his stories from witnesses and people who had been there from the beginning.
Luke wrote Acts first and did not include the destruction of the temple, so he probably finished Acts before that happened.
Acts was written after Luke's gospel so Luke's Gospel was written before 70AD.
Luke sourced information from Mark it seems so Mark was written before 70AD.

Wow so every time in ancient legends when a non-eyewitness is recalling a demigod predicting the future, they are ALL TRUE???? This story is not special, it's just Hellenism, Persian myths mixed with Judaism. Scholars do not think it's a true story?

No I did not say that, I said that if you want to be fair and impartial about dating the writing of the literature you don't date it by using the assumption that the predictions are rubbish.
Again the real scholars are not the ones who say that the Jesus story comes from Hellenism and Persian myths.

This is the worst cognitive dissonance ever. Not only are the myths mundane and copies of older myths. There are ZERO historians who can even say for sure there was a physical Jesus. Tacitus says they were "harmless superstition".
In NO PLACE in these writings are there prophecies that are impressive. He could have said, "the universe is 13 billion light years and we are in 1 galaxy surrounded by a local cluster. There are super clusters and more. Black holes will be discovered as well as atoms which are weird because they are waves and particles."

Historians say Jesus existed and sceptics look for reasons to say Jesus did not exist.
There are prophecies from the gospels about later events. There is even a prophecy in the OT which tells us about when the Messiah would come. I guess if Jesus did not exist then that is proof that the gospel was made up to make it look as if this prophecy is true.

Yes, Mark wrote the story to make savior messianic prophecies come true. There were at least 6 other resurrected sons/daughters of a supreme God who was "the word became flesh" (more Greek myth) and got people into their afterlife. Yet historians are supposed to go, "hey y'know this version is probably true, am I right?...."

Which 6 other resurrected sons/daughters of God?

But then if your supernatural story is true on crap evidence why can't Islam be true? So now Muhammad can tell the future! So now every religion has characters who can tell the future? Wow great, now we live in a world where no one really cares about what is true. You can pretend it's true all day. You don't need scholars to make obvious fallacies and destroy logic (just for you). You can believe whatever you want.

I did not say that Muhammad was a true prophet.

Also Jesus predicts TWICE that revelations will happen in the lifetime of his followers. In Mark.

I don't think Jesus meant that He would be coming back in the life of His followers.

gnostic

The Lost One

There are several ways to verify if a person is historical person or not.

One way is to find contemporary “written” sources of that period, to verify or debunk a person.

The “more” contemporary (or even near-contemporary) primary sources you have, the better the chances as to the probability of demonstrating the person existing or not.

Then there is the second way, in which you could tie person contemporary to physical locations or physical objects - the archaeological evidence. These evidence must also include the name of the person you looking for.

Here, the physical evidence may be inscriptions on coffins or in their tombs, some stone stelae with inscriptions commemorating life and achievements, some metal coins imprinted with their names.

The points are with these examples, that the physical objects or places can be dated to time or period in history.

In the cases with Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, and that of Moses and Joshua, there are no CONTEMPORARY written sources or CONTEMPORARY sites, building or objects that can tie these biblical figures to history.

It also don't help your arguments, when there are no evidence that these books don't exist before the 7th century BCE; they certainly don't exist in the 15th century BCE, where the story of Moses is set.

If you understand literature at all, you would know that authors can write anything they like, make them up, set the plots centuries earlier, but all that don't mean squat, if you no 15th century's Genesis or Exodus, and you have nothing in the 15th century to tie to Moses or Joshua.

All you have your personal beliefs that the Genesis and Exodus are true...that's call FAITH, not EVIDENCE, and you are trying to justify through circular reasoning and confirmation bias.

So not a convincing claim (referring to the above quote of your reply), because your personal belief in these books have no substances.

Brian2

Veteran Member
There are several ways to verify if a person is historical person or not.

One way is to find contemporary “written” sources of that period, to verify or debunk a person.

The “more” contemporary (or even near-contemporary) primary sources you have, the better the chances as to the probability of demonstrating the person existing or not.

Then there is the second way, in which you could tie person contemporary to physical locations or physical objects - the archaeological evidence. These evidence must also include the name of the person you looking for.

Here, the physical evidence may be inscriptions on coffins or in their tombs, some stone stelae with inscriptions commemorating life and achievements, some metal coins imprinted with their names.

The points are with these examples, that the physical objects or places can be dated to time or period in history.

In the cases with Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, and that of Moses and Joshua, there are no CONTEMPORARY written sources or CONTEMPORARY sites, building or objects that can tie these biblical figures to history.

It also don't help your arguments, when there are no evidence that these books don't exist before the 7th century BCE; they certainly don't exist in the 15th century BCE, where the story of Moses is set.

If you understand literature at all, you would know that authors can write anything they like, make them up, set the plots centuries earlier, but all that don't mean squat, if you no 15th century's Genesis or Exodus, and you have nothing in the 15th century to tie to Moses or Joshua.

All you have your personal beliefs that the Genesis and Exodus are true...that's call FAITH, not EVIDENCE, and you are trying to justify through circular reasoning and confirmation bias.

So not a convincing claim (referring to the above quote of your reply), because your personal belief in these books have no substances.

People of faith do realise what faith is.
Sceptics try to convince people of faith that the faith is not enough and what we really need is evidence.

gnostic

The Lost One
Yes sorry I was wrong about the Kenyon dating, but the site below shows where I get the 1400BC dating from.

Biblical Sites: Three Ways to Date the Destruction at Jericho

Sorry but Bryant Wood is a hack, as this David Rohl. Neither can show evidence to anything in Jericho or in Egypt, that actually place Moses and Joshua to these periods.

The Exodus cannot even name the "Pharaoh's Daughter" (Exodus 2:5-10), who adopted him, nor her father, the pharaoh (Exodus 1 & 2), and yet Exodus can named the 2 midwives, Shiphrah and Puah (1:15).

If the Israelites did leave Rameses (Exodus 12:37) in 1447 BCE, then Moses would have been born in 1527 BCE. If that's the case, then he would have been born during the reign of the 18th dynasty king Ahmose I, who do have two daughters, Meritamun (Ahmose-Meritamun) and Sitamun (Ahmose-Sitamun). There are stele that recorded Ahmose's reign as well as naming his children. His son Amenhotep I succeeded Ahmose in 1525, and Amenhotep have taken both his sisters as wives.

So if Moses was born in 1527, he was never adopted by either princesses, and the Exodus about Moses' birth and adoption are nothing more than a fiction.

This tell me that whoever wrote Exodus have no real knowledge of Egyptian history, if it cannot name a single person in the royal family, during Moses' birth.

Then, there's the word "Pharaoh", which isn't a name. The title "Pharaoh" wasn't even use as part of name, until the 20th dynasty and later, so the Exodus use of pharaoh is nothing but anachronistic.

Egyptian family, would each have a personal name given at birth, and when he (or even she) succeed to the throne, they would have multiple names: the Horus name, Nebty name and Golden Horus name.

Take for instance, Ahmose is personal name of the founder of the 18th dynasty; it was given by his parents upon his birth. While his Horus name was Aakherperu, given to him upon coming to power (after he succeeded his brother Kamose, from the 17th dynasty).

The Horus name is associated with the god Horus, who was supposedly the first king of Egypt in Egyptian religion/myth, and new king is considered an incarnation of Horus. The kings have been using Horus names since the 4th millennium BCE, during the Predynastic period, when Egypt was divided into 2 kingdoms.

Anyway, if anyone is going to refer to Ahmose as king, they would either call him "Horus" or be called by his Horus name "Aakherperu", never as "Pharaoh".

Ahmose and other kings in the 18th dynasty (as well as other 17 earlier dynasties) never use pharaoh as a title before their names, for example, Ahmose was called "Pharaoh Ahmose".

Using pharaoh as a prefix title to name, like "Pharaoh Ahmose" were never used until the 20th dynasty and later dynasties. So the Exodus use of word "Pharaoh" in both Genesis and Exodus, is nothing more than anachronism.

gnostic

The Lost One
People of faith do realise what faith is.
Sceptics try to convince people of faith that the faith is not enough and what we really need is evidence.

Faith is nothing more than acceptance of belief, a conviction.

Faith is no better than having personal opinions. Faith isn't fact, because fact required evidence, which faith don't rely on.

You and YoursTrue keep saying that Genesis and Exodus as history, which they are not. They don't exist until the 6th century BCE and later.

The 18th dynasty in Egypt, especially in the 150 years, were well-documented, more so than later century, eg kings after Akhenaten (Amenhotep IV) weren't so well-documented due to civil unrest, and priests and generals serving as advisers, were gaining more powers than the kings.

Take Tutankhamun for example, he was famous only because of his tomb was discovered in the early 20th century, but he was a very weak king, easily manipulated by his advisers. Records of his reign is spotty.

But at least, Egypt's 18th and 19th dynasties kept better records of their rulers than those in Levant, like in Canaan. And there are no contemporary records in Canaan whatsoever of Joshua, the Judges, or contemporary to the nonexistent reigns of Saul, David and Solomon.

There are no contemporary Exodus in the 15th century BCE.

So, yes, I skeptical of Exodus being history.

joelr

I did not say to date the gospels by the prediction about the Temple destruction. You are the one who says that but of course when you say it it is perfectly fine, nothing crazy about it.
And you make it look reasonable by making up something about a fictional demigod, again putting the conclusion before the assessment, more circular reasoning.

It sounded like you were were arguing a prediction in Mark should be considered real. But you are demonstrable wrong about the fictional demigod. I didn't assume this. I learned it through scholarship. There are 6 dying/rinsing savior demigods before Jesus that we know of. They are found in Persian and Hellenistic myths before Jesus. All of them are fiction. There is no evidence Jesus was an exception. If you think there is , provide it.
Also Mark is writing using fictive literary devices, sourcing older fiction, sometimes verbatim. He makes earthly versions of Pauls letters re-writes the Romulus narrative using transduction, all markers of myth.

I hear from the real historians that they know Jesus existed and that the mythicists are wrong.
There are about 20 sitting PhD historians who now say mythicism is a strong possibility. All other historians believe there was a man named Jesus who the Gospels were based on, a human teacher mythicized into a savior demigod.

You take a literal prediction which happened and claim that means it was not true. Now you say, "Oh just give us a literal prediction and we will believe it."
Luke says he got his stories from witnesses and people who had been there from the beginning.
Luke wrote Acts first and did not include the destruction of the temple, so he probably finished Acts before that happened.
Acts was written after Luke's gospel so Luke's Gospel was written before 70AD.
Luke sourced information from Mark it seems so Mark was written before 70AD.

Yes, a prophecy that was specific and could be verified. Like Krishna saying that energy and mass are equivalent and scientists will use the equation E=Mc2 (or the actual long form). That would be interesting evidence. Had Krishna predicted the destruction of a temple that actually happened but the story was dated a few years before the actual destruction you would NEVER EVER say "wopw Krishna must be a real demigod!" That is ridiculous.
Mark is clearly writing fiction and there is no evidence to suggest anything beyond writing a story that took place several years earlier and have the demigod make a prediction that Mark knew would come true.

"Acts and the Gospel of Luke make up a two-part work, Luke–Acts, by the same anonymous author.[3] It is usually dated to around 80–90 AD, although some scholars suggest 90–110. "

Luke is just re-working Mark but Acts is the most fiction. Since Purvoes work was peer-reviewed their has been no doubt. It's sourcing Odysseus and other fiction. Thomas Brodie and Dennis McDonald also have peer-reviewed work on this.

This blog summarizes some of the work
The Book of Acts as Historical Fiction

"The scholar Thomas Brodie has argued that this evident reworking of the Kings narrative starts in Luke’s Gospel and continues on until Acts chapter 15, thus indicating that Luke either integrated this literary creation into his story or he used an underlying source text, such as some previous Gospel that not only covered the acts of Jesus but also the acts of the apostles. "

As an example, the scholar Dennis MacDonald has shown that Luke also reworked fictional tales written by Homer, replacing the characters and some of the outcomes as needed to suit his literary purposes. MacDonald informs us in his The Shipwrecks of Odysseus and Paul..

"
verall, Acts just shares far too many features with popular adventure novels that were written during the same period, in order to lend it any trust as history. Here’s an overview of those features:

1) They all promote a particular god or religion.
2) They are all travel narratives.
3) They all involve miraculous or amazing events.
4) They all include encounters with fabulous or exotic people.
5) They often incorporate a theme of chaste couples that are separated and then reunited.
6) They all feature exciting narratives of captivities and escapes.
7) They often include themes of persecution.
8) They often include episodes involving excited crowds.
9) They often involve divine rescues from danger.
10) They often have divine revelations which are integral to the plot"

I did not say that Muhammad was a true prophet.

Ha, right however if one get's to assume Jesus was a prophet based on mundane unverifiable myths than SO DOES MUHAMMAD!!!!!!!!! He made predictions that ALSO CAME TRUE. So, wow guess he's divine.

I don't think Jesus meant that He would be coming back in the life of His followers.

Sigh. Except he actually said it several times. What else can you say because the 2nd coming never happened. It's also a Persian myth.

joelr

No I did not say that, I said that if you want to be fair and impartial about dating the writing of the literature you don't date it by using the assumption that the predictions are rubbish.

Again the real scholars are not the ones who say that the Jesus story comes from Hellenism and Persian myths.

No supernatural myth studies by scholars EVER assumes the miracles were real without evidence? Especially one as obvious as the Gospels? Sp every historian says that the gospels are Persian and Hellenistic? Revelations is also straight from Persian myths. Some examples

Mary Boyce -

"Historically, the unique features of Zoroastrianism, such as its monotheism,[5] messianism, belief in free will and judgement after death, conception of heaven, hell, angels, and demons, among other concepts, may have influenced other religious and philosophical systems, including the Abrahamic religions and Gnosticism,[6][7][8] Northern Buddhism,[7] and Greek philosophy.[9]"

The Hellenistic World: The World of Alexander the Great

Hellenistic thought is evident in the narratives which make up the books of the Bible as the Hebrew Scriptures were revised and canonized during the Second Temple Period (c.515 BCE-70 CE), the latter part of which was during the Hellenic Period of the region. The gospels and epistles of the Christian New Testament were written in Greek and draw on Greek philosophy and religion as, for example, in the first chapter of the Gospel of John in which the word becomes flesh, a Platonic concept.

Christianity is a combination of Hellenism (pagan) and Judaism

Hellenistic religion - Beliefs, practices, and institutions

-This led to a change from concern for a religion of national prosperity to one for individual salvation, from focus on a particular ethnic group to concern for every human. The prophet or saviour replaced the priest and king as the chief religious figure.

-This process was carried further through the identification of the experiences of the soul that was to be saved with the vicissitudes of a divine but fallen soul, which had to be redeemed by cultic activity and divine intervention. This view is illustrated in the concept of the paradoxical figure of the saved saviour, salvator salvandus.

-Other deities, who had previously been associated with national destiny (e.g., Zeus, Yahweh, and Isis), were raised to the status of transcendent, supreme

-The temples and cult institutions of the various Hellenistic religions were repositories of the knowledge and techniques necessary for salvation and were the agents of the public worship of a particular deity. In addition, they served an important sociological role. In the new, cosmopolitan ideology that followed Alexander’s conquests, the old nationalistic and ethnic boundaries had broken down and the problem of religious and social identity

-Hellenistic philosophy (Stoicism, Cynicism, Neo-Aristotelianism, Neo-Pythagoreanism, and Neoplatonism) provided key formulations for Jewish, Christian, and Muslim philosophy, theology, and mysticism through the 18th century

-Other traditions even more radically reinterpreted the ancient figures. The cosmic or seasonal drama was interiorized to refer to the divine soul within man that must be liberated.

-Each persisted in its native land with little perceptible change save for its becoming linked to nationalistic or messianic movements (centring on a deliverer figure)

-and apocalyptic traditions (referring to a belief in the dramatic intervention of a god in human and natural events)

- Particularly noticeable was the success of a variety of prophets, magicians, and healers—e.g., John the Baptist, Jesus, Simon Magus, Apollonius of Tyana, Alexander the Paphlagonian, and the cult of the healer Asclepius—whose preaching corresponded to the activities of various Greek and Roman philosophic missionaries

Belief in a world Saviour

An important theological development during the dark ages of 'the faith concerned the growth of beliefs about the Saoshyant or coming Saviour. Passages in the Gathas suggest that Zoroaster was filled with a sense that the end of the world was imminent, and that Ahura Mazda had entrusted him with revealed truth in order to rouse mankind for their vital part in the final struggle. Yet he must have realized that he would not himself live to see Frasho-kereti; and he seems to have taught that after him there would come 'the man who is better than a good man' (Y 43.3), the Saoshyant. The literal meaning of Saoshyant is 'one who will bring benefit' ; and it is he who will lead humanity in the last battle against evil. Zoroaster's followers, holding ardently to this expectation, came to believe that the Saoshyant will be born of the prophet's own seed, miraculously preserved in the depths of a lake (identified as Lake K;tsaoya). When the end of time approaches, it is said, a virgin will bathe in this lake and become with child by the prophet; and she will in due course bear a son, named Astvat-ereta, 'He who embodies righteousness' (after Zoroaster's own words: 'May righteousness be embodied' Y 43. r6). Despite his miraculous conception, the coming World Saviour will thus be a man, born of human parents, and so there is no betrayal, in this development of belief in the Saoshyant, of Zoroaster's own teachings about the part which mankind has to play in the great cosmic struggle. T' This glorious moment was longed for by the faithful, and the hope of it was to be their strength and comfort in times of adversity.

Zoroastrians-Their-Religious-Beliefs-and-Practices-MaryBoyce.

joelr

Historians say Jesus existed and sceptics look for reasons to say Jesus did not exist.

There are prophecies from the gospels about later events. There is even a prophecy in the OT which tells us about when the Messiah would come. I guess if Jesus did not exist then that is proof that the gospel was made up to make it look as if this prophecy is true.

Yes you are catching on. Mark was written to give Judaism a savior figure because it was very popular at the time among all religions in the region. All historians say the gospels are a fictive narrative taken from Persain, Greek, Roman and Jewish myths.

You keep saying "historian" so I will quote one -

When the question of the historicity of Jesus comes up in an honest professional context, we are not asking whether the Gospel Jesus existed. All non-fundamentalist scholars agree that that Jesus never did exist. Christian apologetics is pseudo-history. No different than defending Atlantis. Or Moroni. Or women descending from Adam’s rib.

No. We aren’t interested in that.

When it comes to Jesus, just as with anyone else, real history is about trying to figure out what, if anything, we can really know about the man depicted in the New Testament (his actual life and teachings), through untold layers of distortion and mythmaking; and what, if anything, we can know about his role in starting the Christian movement that spread after his death. Consequently, I will here disregard fundamentalists and apologists as having no honest part in this debate, any more than they do on evolution or cosmology or anything else they cannot be honest about even to themselves.

Historicity Big and Small: How Historians Try to Rescue Jesus • Richard Carrier

Which 6 other resurrected sons/daughters of God?

The source material is given here. This was done by a historian who was paid to apply his historical PhD to a Jesus historicity study. He expected to verify historicity. But the evidence isn't good. That argument isn't important, Ehrman and all the historians do not believe the Gospels are anything but myth based on a real Rabbi.

Not in ancient Asia. Or anywhere else. Only the West, from Mesopotamia to North Africa and Europe. There was a very common and popular mytheme that had arisen in the Hellenistic period—from at least the death of Alexander the Great in the 300s B.C. through the Roman period, until at least Constantine in the 300s A.D. Nearly every culture created and popularized one: the Egyptians had one, the Thracians had one, the Syrians had one, the Persians had one, and so on. The Jews were actually late to the party in building one of their own, in the form of Jesus Christ. It just didn’t become popular among the Jews, and thus ended up a Gentile religion. But if any erudite religious scholar in 1 B.C. had been asked “If the Jews invented one of these gods, what would it look like?” they would have described the entire Christian religion to a T. Before it even existed. That can’t be a coincidence.

• They are personal salvation cults (often evolved from prior agricultural cults).
  • They guarantee the individual a good place in the afterlife (a concern not present in most prior forms of religion).
  • They are cults you join membership with (as opposed to just being open communal religions).
  • They enact a fictive kin group (members are now all brothers and sisters).
  • They are joined through baptism (the use of water-contact rituals to effect an initiation).
  • They are maintained through communion (regular sacred meals enacting the presence of the god).
  • They involved secret teachings reserved only to members (and some only to members of certain rank).
  • They used a common vocabulary to identify all these concepts and their role.
  • They are syncretistic (they modify this common package of ideas with concepts distinctive of the adopting culture).
  • They are mono- or henotheistic (they preach a supreme god by whom and to whom all other divinities are created and subordinate).
  • They are individualistic (they relate primarily to salvation of the individual, not the community).
  • And they are cosmopolitan (they intentionally cross social borders of race, culture, nation, wealth, or even gender).
  • They are all “savior gods” (literally so-named and so-called).
  • They are usually the “son” of a supreme God (or occasionally “daughter”).
  • They all undergo a “passion” (a “suffering” or “struggle,” literally the same word in Greek, patheôn).
  • That passion is often, but not always, a death (followed by a resurrection and triumph).
  • By which “passion” (of whatever kind) they obtain victory over death.
  • Which victory they then share with their followers (typically through baptism and communion).
  • They also all have stories about them set in human history on earth.
  • Yet so far as we can tell, none of them ever actually existed.

Dying-and-Rising Gods: It's Pagan, Guys. Get Over It. • Richard Carrier

joelr

Kings in the Puranas

List of Indian Kings according to Puranas after primay creation.

https://ramanan50.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/da41b-figure_1.jpg

List of kings in the Vaivasvata (descendants of Vivasvat) Manvantara

https://ramanan50.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/f42ac-figure_2.jpg

List upto Mahabharata War.List of kings in the Vaivasvata Manvantara until the Great War as stated in the Vishnu Purana

https://ramanan50.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/d5dbc-figure_3.jpg

List of Kings in Kali Yuga(present Yuga). List of kings in the Kaliyuga (after the Great War) as stated in the Vishnu Puran

https://ramanan50.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/fc037-figure_4.jpg

List of kings in the Kaliyuga (after the Great War) as stated in the Vishnu Purana. The Vidisha list is from the Vayu Purana.

https://ramanan50.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/48999-figure_5.jpgv

Puranic chronology of India

Essays on historical and mythological India: Puranic chronology of India

World history by Rigveda

World History Timeline By Rigveda

Kings List India By Puranas Validated

joelr

quotes from:
The Relationship between Hellenistic Mystery Religions and Early Christianity:
A Case Study using Baptism and Eucharist
Jennifer Uzzell

February 2009

By their very nature the Mysteries were a closely guarded secret. Most of our information comes from the Christian apologists who revealed various aspects of the Mysteries only in order to denigrate them. Many of these writers had quite probably been initiates of various Mysteries earlier in their careers. While their evidence should be taken seriously, therefore, it should also be remembered that their aim is to show the Mysteries as immoral and demonically inspired and so their interpretation of the cults, if not the information they provide, is frequently unreliable.

Early apologists admitted similarities and blamed them on Satan.

Even allowing for these caveats, it is clear that substantial ideological and ritual similarities did exist. In fact they were sufficiently obvious to the early Christian apologists that they felt obliged to offer some explanation for them, particularly since, to their embarrassment, it was clear that the Mystery rituals predated their own. The most common explanation, offered by many Christian apologists including Firmicus Maternus, Tertullian and Justin Martyr, was that demons had deliberately prefigured Christian sacraments in order to lead people astray. This explanation has sufficed for Christians over countless centuries, and indeed scholastic bias towards the assumed uniqueness, primacy and superiority of Christianity is one of the major methodological pitfalls encountered by those engaged in the comparative study of Christianity and the Mysteries. Many Christian scholars have been so certain that Christianity alone, of all the world’s religions, is an original and unique revelation that at times it seems that they might almost prefer the “demonic intervention” explanation to the unthinkable possibility that Christianity was influenced by its philosophical and theological environs

-
Baptism has been widely compared with initiation into the Mystery cults. In many of the Mysteries purification through ritual bathing was required as a prerequisite for initiation.

It is interesting to note that the early Christian writer Tertullian (c. 160-225CE) would not have agreed with this appraisal. Not only did he believe that certain of the Mysteries practiced baptism, but also that they did so in hope of attaining forgiveness of sins and a new birth. This was so striking a similarity that it clearly demanded some form of explanation. Not surprisingly, demonic imitation was the culprit.

-
It is beyond doubt that substantial similarities exist between the rituals of baptism and Eucharist and the various sacral meals and initiations practised within the Mystery religions. These similarities extend beyond the forms of the rituals themselves into the purpose, symbolism and function of the rituals.

-In Pagan Hellenistic and Near Eastern thought, by contrast, while the motif of a “Dying and Rising God” may be controversial there is no doubt that for millennia before Christ there had been stories of divine beings questing into the underworld and returning transformed in some way.

-It appears then that the Mysteries asserted an influence over Christianity from the very earliest days and were a part of its development and evolution rather than being “tacked on” at a later date. There was never a “pure” form of Christianity which was later “corrupted” by the language and ritual of the Mystery Cults as Christianity was assimilated by the Greek world; rather Christianity grew up in a world where the language and motifs we associate with the Mysteries were a common intellectual currency. There is no reason to suppose that they did not form an integral part of Christianity from the very beginning despite its Jewish heritage. The two “sources” are not, as has often been supposed, mutually exclusive.

YoursTrue

Kings in the Puranas

List of Indian Kings according to Puranas after primay creation.

https://ramanan50.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/da41b-figure_1.jpg

List of kings in the Vaivasvata (descendants of Vivasvat) Manvantara

https://ramanan50.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/f42ac-figure_2.jpg

List upto Mahabharata War.List of kings in the Vaivasvata Manvantara until the Great War as stated in the Vishnu Purana

https://ramanan50.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/d5dbc-figure_3.jpg

List of Kings in Kali Yuga(present Yuga). List of kings in the Kaliyuga (after the Great War) as stated in the Vishnu Puran

https://ramanan50.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/fc037-figure_4.jpg

List of kings in the Kaliyuga (after the Great War) as stated in the Vishnu Purana. The Vidisha list is from the Vayu Purana.

https://ramanan50.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/48999-figure_5.jpgv

Puranic chronology of India

Essays on historical and mythological India: Puranic chronology of India

World history by Rigveda

World History Timeline By Rigveda

Kings List India By Puranas Validated
All right, thank you. I checked the last one and see it's a time line. Where are the supposed eyewitness or close to the action at the time detailed accounts.

YoursTrue

quotes from:
The Relationship between Hellenistic Mystery Religions and Early Christianity:
A Case Study using Baptism and Eucharist
Jennifer Uzzell

February 2009

By their very nature the Mysteries were a closely guarded secret. Most of our information comes from the Christian apologists who revealed various aspects of the Mysteries only in order to denigrate them. Many of these writers had quite probably been initiates of various Mysteries earlier in their careers. While their evidence should be taken seriously, therefore, it should also be remembered that their aim is to show the Mysteries as immoral and demonically inspired and so their interpretation of the cults, if not the information they provide, is frequently unreliable.

Early apologists admitted similarities and blamed them on Satan.

Even allowing for these caveats, it is clear that substantial ideological and ritual similarities did exist. In fact they were sufficiently obvious to the early Christian apologists that they felt obliged to offer some explanation for them, particularly since, to their embarrassment, it was clear that the Mystery rituals predated their own. The most common explanation, offered by many Christian apologists including Firmicus Maternus, Tertullian and Justin Martyr, was that demons had deliberately prefigured Christian sacraments in order to lead people astray. This explanation has sufficed for Christians over countless centuries, and indeed scholastic bias towards the assumed uniqueness, primacy and superiority of Christianity is one of the major methodological pitfalls encountered by those engaged in the comparative study of Christianity and the Mysteries. Many Christian scholars have been so certain that Christianity alone, of all the world’s religions, is an original and unique revelation that at times it seems that they might almost prefer the “demonic intervention” explanation to the unthinkable possibility that Christianity was influenced by its philosophical and theological environs

-
Baptism has been widely compared with initiation into the Mystery cults. In many of the Mysteries purification through ritual bathing was required as a prerequisite for initiation.

It is interesting to note that the early Christian writer Tertullian (c. 160-225CE) would not have agreed with this appraisal. Not only did he believe that certain of the Mysteries practiced baptism, but also that they did so in hope of attaining forgiveness of sins and a new birth. This was so striking a similarity that it clearly demanded some form of explanation. Not surprisingly, demonic imitation was the culprit.

-
It is beyond doubt that substantial similarities exist between the rituals of baptism and Eucharist and the various sacral meals and initiations practised within the Mystery religions. These similarities extend beyond the forms of the rituals themselves into the purpose, symbolism and function of the rituals.

-In Pagan Hellenistic and Near Eastern thought, by contrast, while the motif of a “Dying and Rising God” may be controversial there is no doubt that for millennia before Christ there had been stories of divine beings questing into the underworld and returning transformed in some way.

-It appears then that the Mysteries asserted an influence over Christianity from the very earliest days and were a part of its development and evolution rather than being “tacked on” at a later date. There was never a “pure” form of Christianity which was later “corrupted” by the language and ritual of the Mystery Cults as Christianity was assimilated by the Greek world; rather Christianity grew up in a world where the language and motifs we associate with the Mysteries were a common intellectual currency. There is no reason to suppose that they did not form an integral part of Christianity from the very beginning despite its Jewish heritage. The two “sources” are not, as has often been supposed, mutually exclusive.
What she is saying makes little to no sense. Frankly. Almost like evolution theory. Statements, no backup.

joelr

All right, thank you. I checked the last one and see it's a time line. Where are the supposed eyewitness or close to the action at the time detailed accounts.

Well you are moving the goalpost a bit here? Of course Hindu scriptures contain many stories and "eyewitnesses" -
"The Puranic literature is encyclopedic,[1] and it includes diverse topics such as cosmogony, cosmology, genealogies of gods, goddesses, kings, heroes, sages, and demigods, folk tales, pilgrimages, temples, medicine, astronomy, grammar, mineralogy, humor, love stories, as well as theology and philosophy."

There are endless stories? What does that prove? The OT stories are known for a fact to be enlarged and some, Daniel for example are forgeries?
"It is generally accepted that Daniel originated as a collection of Aramaic court tales later expanded by the Hebrew revelations.[32] The court tales may have originally circulated independently, but the edited collection was probably composed in the third or early second-century BCE.[33] Chapter 1 was composed (in Aramaic) at this time as a brief introduction to provide historical context, introduce the characters of the tales, and explain how Daniel and his friends came to Babylon.[34] The visions of chapters 7–12 were added and chapter 1 translated into Hebrew at the third stage when the final book was being drawn to.."

I mean in the Bhagavad Gita, Prince Arjuna talks with Krishna? And Paul talks with Jesus. So what? These are stories? You realize NONE of the gospels are eyewitness stories? Genesis was written around 6 BC by multiple authors. None of this is considered reliable history in any of these religions?

joelr

What she is saying makes little to no sense. Frankly. Almost like evolution theory. Statements, no backup.
I just quoted a few lines. The paper is sourced? It isn't rocket science? Christian myths closely resemble earlier myths. Most of the stories are from Hellenism which influenced these religions from 300BC to 100AD. After they adopted Hellenism they became called "mystery religions". Christianity is definitely also a mystery religion but the Church has spent centuries trying to remove itself from those roots. So if you go to church and read apologetics you will get a revised history. If you study history you will be rather surprised.

"Since the earliest days of Christianity there has been speculation about the many apparent similarities between Christianity and the group of religions collectively known as “Mysteries”. Like Christianity, the Mysteries speak of a deity who dies and is revived; of salvation and a preferential afterlife for the initiated and of a personal and loving relationship with an immanent God. "

Early Christian apologists knew that they were so similar (and people obviously knew this as well) that they had to make up an apologetic that said Satan went back in time and made up these older religions that had baptism, eucharist and dying/rising savior gods to make Christians think Christianity was just copying them. She quotes original sources of early 2nd century apologists saying this.

Obviously this is a bit much for most modern Christians so now denial is generally used. The sources that for some weird reason you don't think exist are the surviving source material from mystery religions. Richard Carrier also writes about this, with sources here if you want them:
Dying-and-Rising Gods: It's Pagan, Guys. Get Over It. • Richard Carrier

Tertullian, another early apologist noticed that older religions used baptism in hope of attaining forgiveness of sins and a new birth. So he wrote that Satan went back in time and added this to those religions to fool future Christians. (From Tertullian DeBaptismo Ch5.)

The ending quote is a response to an apologetic that says there was a "pure" form of Christianity that later works (the Gospels?) corrupted and added other myths. But we know there was never a "pure" form and that it was influenced by other myths from the beginning.

Or maybe Satan keeps going back in time and messing with everything until it comes out just right. Suddenly in these apologetics he can time travel? Like he's Kang?

"
it is clear that substantial ideological and ritual similarities did exist. In fact they were sufficiently obvious to the early Christian apologists that they felt obliged to offer some explanation for them, particularly since, to their embarrassment, it was clear that the Mystery rituals predated their own. The most common explanation, offered by many Christian apologists including Firmicus Maternus, Tertullian and Justin Martyr, was that demons had deliberately prefigured Christian sacraments in order to lead people astray. This explanation has sufficed for Christians over countless centuries, and indeed scholastic bias towards the assumed uniqueness, primacy and superiority of Christianity is one of the major methodological pitfalls encountered by those engaged in the comparative study of Christianity and the Mysteries. Many Christian scholars have been so certain that Christianity alone, of all the world’s religions, is an original and unique revelation that at times it seems that they might almost prefer the “demonic intervention” explanation to the unthinkable possibility that Christianity was influenced by its philosophical and theological environs. This paper, however, will seek to explore and quantify the similarities and differences and to offer a more prosaic explanation for them as far as it is possible to do so at such a remove and in the light of the methodological difficulties discussed above. As it is impossible within the confines of this paper to cover the full range of available evidence I will concentrate on the Christian initiation rites of baptism and Eucharist and on their possible parallels within the Mysteries. This approach gives access to a wide range of evidence and allows us to "