• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Physics is Awesome

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
I was actually watching some show on the Discovery channel tonight about ESP - you'll appreciate this, Spinks - , and they had a few physicists on. Apparently they've decided that if you have ESP it's because you're picking up signals from hyperspace.
I wonder how James Randi will feel about Physics in the future?:p

Aqualung said:
Good thing we don't then, eh? That's why physics is dumb. Who would ever play baseball with tiny balls and bats?
Radiologists, for example. Unlike real baseball players, their work saves lives.

lady_lazarus said:
I was actually watching some show on the Discovery channel tonight about ESP - you'll appreciate this, Spinks - , and they had a few physicists on. Apparently they've decided that if you have ESP it's because you're picking up signals from hyperspace.
Oh dear... :biglaugh:

For the record, I said physics was awesome...I never said anything about physicists. :help:

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Physics and chemistry were the only two subjects in college that I got C's in. They may be awesome, but they were both impossible for me to understand. And I did get excellent grades in everything else.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
lady_lazarus said:
I heard somewhere that some of those shows pay up to $10,000 to get scientists and scholars to appear on them. Does anyone know if that's true?

Apotheosis

Certainly possible, but I cant say for sure either way. As far as Randi goes, he should stay away, gravity can be proven:)

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
Physics is Phun! :p and, yes, I am a nerd.

/me conjures up his best Scotty voice..."Captain, I can't change the laws of physics!"

Fluffy

A fool
Certainly possible, but I cant say for sure either way. As far as Randi goes, he should stay away, gravity can be proven:)
Yes but only by limiting the definition of what it means to be proven. See my thread on knowledge :).

Apotheosis

Well of course it would depend on your definition of proven...but using the most common definition, it can be proven.

almifkhar

physics is awesome, however i am pretty stupid where it is concerned. perhaps if i was better in math than i could be better in understanding physics.

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
Mr Spinkles said:
Oh dear... :biglaugh:

For the record, I said physics was awesome...I never said anything about physicists. :help:
I don't believe they were real physicists...their hair was tidy and their pants didn't show 2 inches of their ankles.

Fluffy

A fool
Well of course it would depend on your definition of proven...but using the most common definition, it can be proven.
If by proven you mean taking elements of a self contained belief system to support other elements of the same belief system then yes it can be proved. I merely do not see the difference between this and in reading the Bible that God says he is God and therefore, in conclusion, he must be God.

Fluffy said:
If by proven you mean taking elements of a self contained belief system to support other elements of the same belief system then yes it can be proved. I merely do not see the difference between this and in reading the Bible that God says he is God and therefore, in conclusion, he must be God.
The difference is that experiments testing for gravity do not depend on the presuppositions of the experimenters. :jam:

Fluffy

A fool
The difference is that experiments testing for gravity do not depend on the presuppositions of the experimenters. :jam:
Well sure. But the only way you can prove such a thing is by falling prey to what I outlined in the previous post.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
my physisist friend has me drooling to finally take some physics myself. Now that we can't hang out and talk till the sun comes up about theories and laws I'm starting to have math withdrawl... :biglaugh:

Gadz... I'm such a science geek.... :cool:

*ps and yes I am increadably Awed by the power, subtlety and oddity of the way the univerce works as explored with Physics.

wa:do

The thing that I find most amazing about physics (from my limited education) is that light (an electromagnetic wave) has particle-like properties, and matter (e.g. protons, electrons, neutrons) has wave-like properties.

I'm also amazed at the ingenious methods used historically to discover things we take for granted today (like the existence of electrons). It's really quite remarkable when you think about it.

Kowalski

Mr Spinkles said:
The thing that I find most amazing about physics (from my limited education) is that light (an electromagnetic wave) has particle-like properties, and matter (e.g. protons, electrons, neutrons) has wave-like properties.

I'm also amazed at the ingenious methods used historically to discover things we take for granted today (like the existence of electrons). It's really quite remarkable when you think about it.
All energy is interelated. Light, is made up of electromagnetic waves, one gives rise to the other, and they are arranaged in such a subtle interplay as to create the phenomena of light as opposed to dark. Electric waves create a magnetic field, in turn the magnetic fields give off an electrical charge.

It's a beautiful thing man.

Cheers

K