• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Physics is Awesome

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Well, I agree, but my knowledge of it is so minimal......heck there are concepts that are so beyond me there is no point whatsoever in even trying to understand!:eek:

nutshell

v=d/t

Who cares! Actually, physics is very important and affects us in ways we're not even aware of, but...Who Cares! I guess I am a nerd (and that's why I'm an English major, not a science major)

jonny

I can't believe that I got through 12 years of public school plus 5 years of college without ever taking a single Physics class. Does that make me a nerd? I did get an A in college calculus. Isn't that kinda like physics?

Aqualung

Tasty
nutshell said:
v=d/t

Who cares! Actually, physics is very important and affects us in ways we're not even aware of, but...Who Cares! I guess I am a nerd (and that's why I'm an English major, not a science major)
And why I'm a spanish major. If I'm lucky, I won't have to take physics again. )( Physics is caring why something matters. I really don't. All that matters is that it does happen, and I don't need a physics class to learn that if I drop something it will fall.

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
Well, I love physics, as well as pretty much every other topic, so what does that make me? Oh, I remember, a philomath.

At least I'm not a dork! (A dork is a whale penis ;) )

Bennettresearch

Politically Incorrect
Mr Spinkles said:
Anyone who doesn't agree is a nerd. :jam:
Hey Spinks,

Not another string theorist! Oh no. Eleven dimensions, and utter chaos at the subatomic level. These people have made me afraid to walk out my door because the earth could disappear under my feet! Physicists only want to make me insecure in my own little world.

Oh, by the way, have they invented anti-gravity yet? That would be neat.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
The only bits about physics I can remember were about light reflection and refraction, electric and currents and magnetic fields:bounce

Aqualung said:
Physics is caring why something matters. I really don't. All that matters is that it does happen, and I don't need a physics class to learn that if I drop something it will fall
You need a physics class to learn that if you move relative to someone else, time slows down. Without physics, no one would have ever figured out that time dilation does happen. Or that baseballs have a wavelength. Or that the iron atoms in your blood were born in a massive stellar explosion millions of years ago.

Physics is awesome, just admit it. :)

Aqualung

Tasty
Mr Spinkles said:
You need a physics class to learn that if you move relative to someone else, time slows down. Without physics, no one would have ever figured out that time dilation does happen. Or that baseballs have a wavelength. Or that the iron atoms in your blood were born in a massive stellar explosion millions of years ago.

Who cares that time slows down! And does the fact that I suddenly now know that baseballs have wavelength make me have to change my hitting? Or does the iron in my blood suddenly start acting differently know that I know it, and so I have to make adjustments? Of course not. Sure, physics is good for some people to know, so they can make discoveries. But I have no need for it.

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
Who cares that time slows down! And does the fact that I suddenly now know that baseballs have wavelength make me have to change my hitting? Or does the iron in my blood suddenly start acting differently know that I know it, and so I have to make adjustments? Of course not. Sure, physics is good for some people to know, so they can make discoveries. But I have no need for it.

Actually (correct me if I'm wrong, Spinks), knowing something about an object creates a great deal of difference, according to quantum physics.

Aqua, in physics, yes, we look at the how of things. How this happens, how that happens, whatever. We don't look at the why, because that's for philosophy, and no one can find an answer to the why. I care a lot about time dilation, because I wrote a little bit of a theory on it (and I have a possible mathematical equation extrapolated from the theory as well).

There is a joy in suddenly understanding the how of things around you. Physics is not only abstract, but practical too. There are a great many reasons to learn physics, not the least of which being a deeper understanding of the world around you.

Aqualung said:
Who cares that time slows down!
*raises hand* :)
Aqualung said:
And does the fact that I suddenly now know that baseballs have wavelength make me have to change my hitting?
If you were using a tiny baseball and a tiny bat, it might. The catcher might have problems catching the baseball as it diffracts and interferes with itself, and the umpire would have difficulty determining whether or not the ball went through the strike zone.
Aqualung said:
Or does the iron in my blood suddenly start acting differently know that I know it, and so I have to make adjustments? Of course not.
Don't be so sure. Experiment has shown that the act of observing a phenomenon affects how it behaves. If you pass photons of light through a double slit, they form a double slit diffraction pattern....but if you start keeping track of which slit the photons went through, they form single slit diffraction patterns. Nature knowns when it's being watched. :eek:

Aqualung said:
Sure, physics is good for some people to know, so they can make discoveries. But I have no need for it.
To each his/her own.

NERD! :p

Dru said:
Actually (correct me if I'm wrong, Spinks), knowing something about an object creates a great deal of difference, according to quantum physics.
That's right, Dru. Judging by your appreciation for physics, I'm going to go ahead and add you to my list of very very cool people.

Aqualung

Tasty
Spinks said:
If you were using a tiny baseball and a tiny bat, it might. The catcher might have problems catching the baseball as it diffracts and interferes with itself, and the umpire would have difficulty determining whether or not the ball went through the strike zone.
Good thing we don't then, eh? That's why physics is dumb. Who would ever play baseball with tiny balls and bats? ;)
Spinks said:
Knockout
Spinks said:
Judging by your appreciation for physics, I'm going to go ahead and add you to my list of very very cool people.
Well, druidus, I'm definitely taking you off my list of very very cool people. :D

Mike182

Flaming Queer
Mr Spinkles said:

ah yes, the awesome physics, the same awesome physics in fact that tells us how and why the bumble bee flys ...... oh wait, the bumble bee defies every law of aero-dynamics we have - and yet it still flys! darn, bit of a blow to physics really isn't it!

nah, do philosophy or theology, they are the best subjects in the history of, well, subjects

C_P

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Corrupt Priest said:
nah, do philosophy or theology, they are the best subjects in the history of, well, subjects
It would be hard to understand some topics in philosophy without a basic understanding of physics. Especially in the philosophy of science, which is one of the most interesting topics in philosophy, IMHO.

Apotheosis

I enjoy discussing physics, along with philosophy and theology amongst others. Corrupt, that mysetery has been solved, but there are other riddles out there, thankfully scientists dont claim to have a complete understanding of the world.

One of the mechanisms is called "delayed stall," which Dickinson and others had identified earlier as an important lift mechanism. This occurs as the insect sweeps its wings forward at a high angle of attack, that is, cutting through the air at a steeper angle than that of a typical airplane wing. A fixed wing, like that of an airplane or bird, would stall at such a high angle, losing lift, suffering increased drag and ending in disaster.

Under some conditions, however, a structure called a "leading edge vortex" can form and sit on the top surface of the wing to create lift. The Concorde supersonic airplane takes advantage of this vortex during takeoff, as explained by Charles Ellington at Cambridge University.

About five years ago, when insects were found to use delayed stall, some thought this was the answer to the question of how insects fly, Dickinson said. Subsequent measurements showed that delayed stall wasn't the complete answer, however.

Dickinson now has discovered two other techniques used by insects. One is called "rotational circulation" -- basically, as the insect wing nears the end of its stroke, it rotates backward, creating backspin. Just as backspin lifts a tennis ball, so it can provide extra lift for an insect.

Finally, a mechanism called "wake capture" gains an insect added lift by recapturing the energy lost in the wake. As the wing moves through the air, it leaves whirlpools or vortices of air behind it. If the insect rotates its wing before starting the return stroke, the wing can intersect its own wake and capture extra oomph to keep the insect aloft.
-Excerpt from http://www.berkeley.edu/news/media/releases/99legacy/6-15-1999.html

standing_on_one_foot

corrupt_preist said:
ah yes, the awesome physics, the same awesome physics in fact that tells us how and why the bumble bee flys ...... oh wait, the bumble bee defies every law of aero-dynamics we have - and yet it still flys! darn, bit of a blow to physics really isn't it!
No, they don't defy every law of aerodynamics we have. Urban legend. They can't glide, that's true, but because their wings move in a certain way, they can generates enough lift to fly. It only doesn't work it you assume a bee flies like an airplane.

Anyhoo, yes, physics is pretty awesome. I like understanding as much as I can (which is, admittedly, not a lot, but still) about how the universe works. Some of it's pretty cool stuff.