• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Phrases that get on your nerves.

Booko

Deviled Hen
another one I hate is "Guess what!" because usually, after you say what, they say "Chicken butt!!" and proceed to laugh their little arse off. or, in a sadder scenario, they realise how stupid it is, an awkward silence kicks in, and they just walk away. smooth

Leave my butt out of this! :slap:

Oh, here's one: I want each of you to give 110%!

Perhaps I'm just too much of a literalist where mathematics is concerned.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Watch some news coverage of the war in Iraq and listen for "on the ground."

We make many jokes about that one. I wonder how many people there are "in the air" as opposed to the usual "on the ground" that it becomes necessary to specify they are earthbound?

The Great Architect

Watch some news coverage of the war in Iraq and listen for "on the ground."

We make many jokes about that one. I wonder how many people there are "in the air" as opposed to the usual "on the ground" that it becomes necessary to specify they are earthbound?
that's great!:D

Aqualung

Tasty
Leave my butt out of this! :slap:

Oh, here's one: I want each of you to give 110%!

Perhaps I'm just too much of a literalist where mathematics is concerned.

Oh, I absolutely hate that one. My basketball coaches always used to say that and it was awful.

I hate "I beg your pardon?" Why would you beg my pardon in the first place? And then, why would you do it as a question? And why do you think you deserve my pardon?

SoyLeche

meh...
Oh, I absolutely hate that one. My basketball coaches always used to say that and it was awful.

I hate "I beg your pardon?" Why would you beg my pardon in the first place? And then, why would you do it as a question? And why do you think you deserve my pardon?
Then next time someone says that you should reply: "Beg all you want, you're not gettin' it!"

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Oh, man. Reading through this whole thread has led me to believe that I'd probably get on most people's nerves here in RL. Guilty as charged on quite a few of these. :eek:

Well, maybe that just means less talk and more Big Squishy Hugs. :rainbow1:

:hugehug:

Peace,
Mystic

Aqualung

Tasty
Then next time someone says that you should reply: "Beg all you want, you're not gettin' it!"

Yeah, that's a good one. I have started responding similarly when people say "I beg to differ". Something like, well, you're not doing a very good job begging. You're not even on your knees. I'll have to start with this phrase, too. :D

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Reminds me of a joke:

A convict is in his parole hearing and has a coughing fit. After it stops, he says, "pardon me".

The head of the parole board says, "of course."

The convict says, "thanks!" With that, he gets up and walks out.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I used to know a guy who used to say "don't feel like the Lone Stranger" whenever I said anything. It was fine one time, but he said over and over. I wanted to strangle him.

Aqualung

Tasty
i cant stand the phrase cheer up it might never happen.
how the hell do they know?

I hate Cheer Up and other such phrases in general, because why should they get to dictate my emotions? I can be sad or mopey if I want, and they have no right to tell me to be otherwise.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
"I know your daughter was kidnapped, beaten, raped repeatedly, and then buried alive, resulting in her untimely death.
But cheer up, it is all a part of Gods plan"

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
I hate Cheer Up and other such phrases in general, because why should they get to dictate my emotions? I can be sad or mopey if I want, and they have no right to tell me to be otherwise.
Like "have a nice day"
I usually respond with something like "thanks, but I have other plans"

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
"I know your daughter was kidnapped, beaten, raped repeatedly, and then buried alive, resulting in her untimely death.
But cheer up, it is all a part of Gods plan"
Jeeze, that sounds about like what my doctor told me when he said I had to get surgery for my scoliosis. He went into excruciating detail on how if I didn't my spine would slowly crush my heart and lungs until I died of either a heart attack or impaired lung function. By the time he finished I was shaking and sobbing, and he had the gall to hug me and go "You know, God only tests the people he loves!"

My first instinct was to shout "Well he can stop loving me!"

Aqualung

Tasty
Like "have a nice day"
I usually respond with something like "thanks, but I have other plans"

Yeah, I hate that one especially. I usually just ignore it, but if I'm feeling especially pleasant I'll just say "Okay". I wouldn't want to be a hypocrite and tell them to have a nice day back.

Aqualung

Tasty
I thought of another one. I hate it when people use "myself" in any sense other than as a reflexive object. For example, one could say, "I gave myself a good foot massage" because that is the object of the verb "gave", but when people say things like, "If you have problem, tell myself or so-and-so" or perhaps, "This play was written by myself and my brother" it really gets on my nerves.

yossarian22

Resident Schizophrenic
I hate it when people just add "ya know what I am saying".
No I don't.
I am a total moron and unable to follow how they managed to remove that boil from your rectum. Please repeat this gripping tale.

FyreBrigidIce

Returning Noob
I dislike "like" too. ;)

It usually indicates to me one of two things: either immaturity (pre-teen and teen girls love this word), or simply a limited vocabulary---which in itself indicates to me one slept through English classes, and I find that inexcusable.

I slept through my 10th grade English class. Is it excusable if I still passed with a 98 and am able to say more words than like???

Brandy

FyreBrigidIce

Returning Noob
"Talk to the hand" is guaranteed to have me screaming
and if anyone on here is still watching BB..Tracy and her continually use of the word "phat" is really getting on my nerves

My 7 year old came hold from school one day last year saying "Talk to the hand, talk to the butt, talk to the man at Pizza Hut, cuz the face ain't listenin' I looked at her and had to ask the stupid question, "Where did you hear that one?" I should have realized she got it from a friend at school. Hey, I can't be smart all the time.

Brandy