• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Phrases that get on your nerves.

FyreBrigidIce

Returning Noob
"I'm kind of pregnant". No you're not, you're either pregnant or you're not.

"I'm not racist/homophobic/transphobic, BUT..." If you have to say but, you need to just stop right there.

Not a phrase, but I also hate the word "preggers". Gah. PREGNANT. English, can you speak it?!

I have said worse than "preggers". I sometimes still use the term "Prego", my only defense is that "It's in there"

I have figured out that some of the things that I say can be added as annoying phrases. Well, at least I am contributing.

Brandy

Smoke

Done here.
I don't remember whether anybody's mentioned "very kind of." Likes nails on a blackboard.

"It's very kind of Mid-century Modern."

"I'm feeling very kind of disoriented."

"She's very kind of playful."

It's "very" or "kind of." Never both.

Smoke

Done here.
Ðanisty;909856 said:
I'm so sorry that you actually knew what all of that means. :( Do these people just have something against apostrophes?
Yes.

"Who book that is?"

"That my book."

"I thought it was Margaret book."

"No, Margaret book over there."

ayani

"In a minute," meaning any indefinite period of time. I don't remember hearing this till the last couple years or so, but it really grates on my nerves. As in:

"Yeah, we went to school together, but I haven't seen her in a minute."

I hear it all the time, and I want to shake every person who says it. Stop it.

Also, "baby daddy." Even worse when compounded, as in "My baby daddy daddy a police," or "My baby daddy mama made this for me."

One of my students was talking about a girl she was planning to fight.

"Who are you talking about?" I asked.

She glared. "My baby daddy baby mama."

*snort*

i'm from Indiana, you hear that a lot here. often in relation to horrifically complicated, nasty-sounding relationships.

i have this literature / history professor who uses the phrases "...right?" and "good times" way too often.

"so this guy was pretty much a failure at public policy....right? so after his affair with the queen's head counselor he was thrown into tower of london and was eventually sawed limb from limb......right? good times."

i am not exaggerating.