• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Phrases that get on your nerves.

Nanda

Polyanna
Maybe they get equally annoyed by the smug arrogant people who have to use an extensive vocabulary because they think it makes them look intelligent when in fact it makes them look like a stuck up prick just because mummy and daddy were rich enough to afford private schooling for them and they didn't have to live on benefits.

What about those of us who were dirt poor our entire lives, but were raised by a grandmother with an extensive vocabulary? Hmmmmmm? :rolleyes: I dislike when people automatically assume that if one speaks well, they're stuck-up and/or privileged; I suffered a miserable childhood because of such people.

yossarian22

Resident Schizophrenic
I hate people who care about the way other people talk. I mean if someone wants to say like all the time let them.
Maybe they get equally annoyed by the smug arrogant people who have to use an extensive vocabulary
You do not need an extensive vocabulary to be coherent. People who say like, um, etc rarely are decent speakers, and the vast majority of the ones I have seen are from private schools.

Panda

42?
Premium Member
Why do people unnecessarily use extensive and overcomplicated words when it is not required? Is this not to make everything think how smart you are and to try and intimidate and make the other person feel stupid?

yossarian22

Resident Schizophrenic
Why do people unnecessarily use extensive and overcomplicated words when it is not required? Is this not to make everything think how smart you are and to try and intimidate and make the other person feel stupid?
Because large words carry more specific meanings to them by nature. Loathe is far more specific then hate for instance.

Panda

42?
Premium Member
You do not need an extensive vocabulary to be coherent. People who say like, um, etc rarely are decent speakers, and the vast majority of the ones I have seen are from private schools.

Ever thought it is because they are nervous? I know when I have to talk and am nervous for some reason every second word is like or um.

Panda

42?
Premium Member
Because large words carry more specific meanings to them by nature. Loathe is far more specific then hate for instance.

Yet it limits your audience and further alienates those that might already have difficulties in understanding what you are trying to say.

Aqualung

Tasty

Yeah, exactly. Like my cousin got really mad at me for referring to a verb as being in the "subjunctive". That's a lot more specific (and a lot less long winded) than saying that it was a verb used to express commands, wishes, and other such unreal states. Heck, even some of those words used in that description might have been offensive to her, but there's no way around it. "Subjunctive" is very specific, and there's no word to use in its place without losing a whole lot of meaning.

yossarian22

Resident Schizophrenic
Ever thought it is because they are nervous? I know when I have to talk and am nervous for some reason every second word is like or um.
I doubt I could make anybody nervous. And i tend to see the more talkative people relying on like and to add some bulk to their meaningless drivel (Like I care about about what <person here> did) then because of nervousness. If you can't express your thoughts easily, just pause, no need to just fill up space with um and like.

yossarian22

Resident Schizophrenic
Yet it limits your audience and further alienates those that might already have difficulties in understanding what you are trying to say.
So? Its not like the words I use are not things you shouldn't already know. I can understand people getting ****** off with a guy for using the longest words he could find and just dropping them in as synonyms, but a large word will always be more specific then many small words, and it makes you that much clearer.

Aqualung

Tasty
What about this use of "like" (which I also tend to do if I can't think of a word)

"I saw this huge vehicle today. It was .... like .... a big bus but not really."

I use the word like because it really is similar to it, but at the same time it fills space and covers up for the fact that I couldn't think of the word that describes it better than "a big bus but not really". Is that an annoying use, or is it more just the incessant every-other-word use that is thrown into even the most fluent of conversations.

yossarian22

Resident Schizophrenic
What about this use of "like" (which I also tend to do if I can't think of a word)

"I saw this huge vehicle today. It was .... like .... a big bus but not really."

I use the word like because it really is similar to it, but at the same time it fills space and covers up for the fact that I couldn't think of the word that describes it better than "a big bus but not really". Is that an annoying use, or is it more just the incessant every-other-word use that is thrown into even the most fluent of conversations.
Like is used for comparisons, so its fine.
I hate like in this connotation.
Like Omigosh! Did you like see that um thing she was like wearing around her, um, neck?
This makes me see red

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
I use the words I use in every day conversation because that's just how I talk. I read a lot and am constantly learning new words and phrases and ideas, and they work their way into my speech.

Also, please tell me you really don't believe people use "overcomplicated words" to make other people feel intimidated and stupid. :rolleyes: There's no reason to limit vocabulary just because someone else might feel dumb because they don't know a word.

Heck even the idea that "if you don't know a word you're dumb" is silly to me. EVERYONE starts out not knowing any words! Learning a language is a process that lasts a lifetime. People don't just stop learning it once they graduate high school or reach a certain age and automatically qualify as dumb if they don't know a word.

Smoke

Done here.
Why do people unnecessarily use extensive and overcomplicated words when it is not required?
Sometimes you need a big word.

Years ago, my father's job required him to write technical manuals in Basic English. His example of how stupid Basic English was, was this: You can't say "watermelon." You have to say large green fruit with red flesh and many seeds.

Ðanisty

Also, "baby daddy." Even worse when compounded, as in "My baby daddy daddy a police," or "My baby daddy mama made this for me."

One of my students was talking about a girl she was planning to fight.

"Who are you talking about?" I asked.

She glared. "My baby daddy baby mama."
I can't even figure out what these phrases mean.

I hate anybody using the word like or totally constantly in any conversation to the point that I actually want to smash their face in with the nearest heavy object.
I also hate it when people use the following: guesstimate, surreal, hunker down (especially i media reports), at the end of the day, my bad, oh my gosh, OMG (as said), lol (as said), ROFL (as said), we need to talk, at the end of the day, the bottom line, with all due respect, the point being, needless to say, touch base, to be perfectly honest, I don't mean to be rude, no offense or anything, I hear what you are saying, in terms of, address the issue, basically, awesome, wicked, sick, wowzers, gee willickers, bear with me, basically, whadup, yo, sup, Whazzaap, you can't have your cake and eat it too, be yourself, head-on apply directly to the forehead, What do you mean you did not do <action here>, bom chica wow wow, facade, paradigm, all you need is love, you just need to believe, da bomb, that's hot, aight, axe (lemme axe you something), fer real?, shnizzle, Oh no she di-ent, talk to the hand, no prob, know what I mean?, Have a nice day, enjoy (from a waiter), you go girl, girl power, think outside of the box, don't worry be happy, I'm just saying, okey dokey, Oprah said, do ya get my drift?, supposebly, right off the bat,Git-R-Done, irregardless, work smarter not harder, to make a long story short, its not the heat its the humidity, are you finding everything OK?, your call is important to us, sallgood, I'll speak to that, just to be sure we are on the same page.
What's wrong with surreal, facade, and paradigm? Are people using these words incorrectly?

Define unnecessarily. When someone learns a word, why shouldn't they use it?

Smoke

Done here.
Ðanisty;909848 said:
I can't even figure out what these phrases mean.

Your baby daddy daddy is the father of your baby daddy; i.e., your child's grandfather.

Your baby daddy mama is your child's grandmother.

Your baby daddy baby mama is another woman who has a child by a man you have a child by.

Ðanisty

Your baby daddy daddy is the father of your baby daddy; i.e., your child's grandfather.

Your baby daddy mama is your child's grandmother.

Your baby daddy baby mama is another woman who has a child by a man you have a child by.
I'm so sorry that you actually knew what all of that means. :( Do these people just have something against apostrophes?

yossarian22

Resident Schizophrenic
Ðanisty;909848 said:
What's wrong with surreal, facade, and paradigm? Are people using these words incorrectly?
Those words are overused to the extreme. Ever played office bingo? You are guaranteed to here somebody describe their idea as a paradigm without actually knowing what it means.

Ðanisty

Those words are overused to the extreme. Ever played office bingo? You are guaranteed to here somebody describe their idea as a paradigm without actually knowing what it means.
So really it's the misuse of the words that irritates you. I can understand that. :yes: