• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Philly-Based Bible Printer Will Close and Lay Off 174 Due to Decreased Demand"

A Vestigial Mote

In case anyone wants the numbers here's one study.

Religion in the United States is worth $1.2tn a year, making it equivalent to the 15th largest national economy in the world, according to a study.

The faith economy has a higher value than the combined revenues of the top 10 technology companies in the US, including Apple, Amazon and Google, says the analysis from Georgetown University in Washington DC.
It would be very interesting to try and frame this up in terms of productivity lost due to people concentrating on creating, marketing and peddling worthless junk. Hell, who knows? We might have flying hydrogen cars as a standard by now, and solutions for all our global warming woes. Instead we have a bajillion bibles, Jesus statues, calendars, rosaries, and God knows what else.

sealchan

A sign of the times.

"A Philadelphia-based printing company says it will lay off 174 workers and shut down the facility all because, after printing more than a billion bibles over the past century, their product just isn’t in demand anymore.

“They say the Bible business has really gone soft, and their warehouses are full,” said Wayne Cox, business representative for Graphic Communications Conference-Teamsters local union 4-C, based in Clifton Heights, which represents 150 of the workers, along with printers at other companies in central Pennsylvania. [LSC Communications] didn’t reply to an inquiry seeking comment.'
source

Pretty much goes hand in hand with the decline of Christianity in the USA.

Curious, what's your prognosis for Christianity in America?

Continued generational increase in ambivalence unless new churches more or less accepting of non-literalist views arise. But even then it wont be the strong tradition it was unless it finds a home again in a fearful nationalism. But such ungodly wedding of church and state was one of the primary motivating factors of the US so it would be ironic if that were to happen here. It's trying but it wont.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
It would be very interesting to try and frame this up in terms of productivity lost due to people concentrating on creating, marketing and peddling worthless junk. Hell, who knows? We might have flying hydrogen cars as a standard by now, and solutions for all our global warming woes. Instead we have a bajillion bibles, Jesus statues, calendars, rosaries, and God knows what else.
That applies to both Atheism and theism as a whole. Just different worthless junk.

A Vestigial Mote

That applies to both Atheism and theism as a whole. Just different worthless junk.
I suppose that books and videos are being created - though probably mostly only the books are using actual industry and workforce to do so. I don't know that a case could be made that thousands of employable workers are churning out atheist books and videos. Did you have any other "junk" in mind? I know I have never bought a single thing related to "atheism" in my entire life... nor would I ever. There is no need.

Skwim

Veteran Member
I suppose that books and videos are being created - though probably mostly only the books are using actual industry and workforce to do so. I don't know that a case could be made that thousands of employable workers are churning out atheist books and videos. Did you have any other "junk" in mind? I know I have never bought a single thing related to "atheism" in my entire life... nor would I ever. There is no need.
Ah, dairy products come from cows. And I'm darn sure they don't believe in god. There's that. :shrug:

Shad

Veteran Member

A sign of the times.

"A Philadelphia-based printing company says it will lay off 174 workers and shut down the facility all because, after printing more than a billion bibles over the past century, their product just isn’t in demand anymore.

“They say the Bible business has really gone soft, and their warehouses are full,” said Wayne Cox, business representative for Graphic Communications Conference-Teamsters local union 4-C, based in Clifton Heights, which represents 150 of the workers, along with printers at other companies in central Pennsylvania. [LSC Communications] didn’t reply to an inquiry seeking comment.'
source

Outsourcing obviously.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady

A sign of the times.

source

It's hard to sell Christian books. I tried for a long time and finally had to give everything to Goodwill. My nontheist books, on the other hand, zoom right out the door.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
With any luck, the decline of religion will create jobs as well: for instance, skilled trades to renovate disused churches into restaurants, event venues, etc.

Houses...that's definitely a thing here. I was eyeing off a place in Sydney (although it was always unlikely I'd move there) which was a cracking church conversion.

(Obviously a smaller one)

Bob the Unbeliever

A sign of the times.

source

That's good news you can actually use: More and more people are ignoring the immoral bible.

Good.